THE WORLD

Pendragon

Pendragon The World album cover

Buy PENDRAGON Music
Studio Album, released in 1991

1. Back In The Spotlight (7:39)
2. The Voyager (12:15)
3. Shane (4:25)
4. Prayer (5:21)
5. Queen Of Hearts (21:46)
- a) Queen Of Hearts
- b) ... A Man Could Die Out Here ...
- c) The Last Waltz
6. And We'll Go Hunting Deer (7:14)

Bonus track on CD re-release:

- Clive Nolann / keyboards
- Peter Gee / bass
- Fudge Smith / drums

CD Released in 1991 Toff Records PEND5CD
Re-released in 2005 by Snapper Music (SDPCD186). Includes a short essay by lead singer Nick Barrett about the release and contains one bonus track called "Sister Bluebird."

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

PENDRAGON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PENDRAGON The World Music

KowtowKowtow
Snapper Classics UK 2012
The Window of LifeThe Window of Life
Toff Records
PENDRAGON - UTRECHT.. THE FINAL FRONTIER Ultra Rare Prog Rock MC Arena Rush IQ US $10.90 Buy It Now 2h 30m
PENDRAGON:THE WINDOW OF LIFE/PROG US $11.87 Buy It Now 4h 6m
PENDRAGON fly high fall far LP 4 track mini album with promo photo included tin US $18.69 Buy It Now 4h 23m
PENDRAGON**PASSION (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $40.92 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Kowtow by Pendragon (CD, Oct-2012, Snapper Music) US $7.64 Buy It Now 15h 16m
FOLK NOTTINGHAM STYLE 1973 PRIVATE LP CORNCOB PENDRAGON SCHEME EVENSONG ALMEIDA US $339.49 Buy It Now 16h
The Masquerade Overture by Pendragon (CD, Aug-2013, Madfish) US $7.67 Buy It Now 16h 43m
Pendragon Live UK Concert Tour May 1994 very small mini poster print A5 size US $25.44 Buy It Now 22h 13m
Pendragon - Masquerade Overture CD US $14.80 Buy It Now 23h 9m
PENDRAGON-NOT OF THIS WORLD-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PENDRAGON-THE WORLD-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PENDRAGON**OUT OF ORDER COMES CHAOS**BLU-RAY US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Pendragon live concert London 3 December 1999 very small poster print A5 size US $25.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Pendragon - Passion [Vinyl New] US $42.32 Buy It Now 1 day
PENDRAGON - HISTORY 1984-2000 NEW CD US $19.06 Buy It Now 1 day
The Church of Acid by Velvet Acid Christ (CD, Nov-1997, Pendragon (USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ALAN REED First In A Field Of One CD PROG (Pallas, Magenta, Pendragon, Credo) US $13.99 [0 bids]
Pendragon - Out Of Order Comes Chaos CD US $18.60 Buy It Now 2 days
National Youth Music - Pendragon CD US $39.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Pendragon Out Of Order Comeschaos DVD US $19.20 Buy It Now 2 days
PENDRAGON - BELIEVE - SMACD977X US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PENDRAGON - KOWTOW - SMACD990X US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The World .. Pendragon .. Griffin Music US $7.98 Buy It Now 2 days
PENDRAGON**WINDOW OF LIFE/FALLEN DREAMS AND ANGELS EP**CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 2 days
ARENA - SONGS FROM THE LIONS CAGE. JAPAN.OBI. PENDRAGON US $5.99 [0 bids]
PENDRAGON - THE MASQUERADE OVERTURE 1999, German Release, Very Rare. US $10.00 [0 bids]
PENDRAGON**MASQUERADE OVERTURE (NEW MADFISH ED/BONUS TRACKS)**VINYL US $25.50 Buy It Now 3 days
PENDRAGON - WORLD NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 3 days
Neutronic Vs. Planet Earth * by Neutronic (CD, Feb-1999, Pendragon (USA)) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Pendragon - History 1984-200 CD US $15.92 Buy It Now 3 days
PENDRAGON - PAST AND PRESENCE (DVD & DCD) - MMPDVD0105 US $35.54 Buy It Now 4 days
PENDRAGON - THE MASQUERADE OVERTURE - NEW CD US $7.64 Buy It Now 4 days
SHADOWLAND Ring Of Roses +2 JAPAN CD OBI XRCN-1093 Threshold Pendragon Arena US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Pendragon - World [CD New] US $10.55 Buy It Now 4 days
Believe by Pendragon (CD, Aug-2011, Madfish) US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PENDRAGON - PURE - NEW LTD 12" INDIGO BLUE VINYL LP US $15.26 [0 bids]
PENDRAGON - PURE [PENDRAGON] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $10.94 Buy It Now 4 days
PENDRAGON-WINDOW OF LIFE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 4 days
XANADU The Last Sunrise NEW CD PROG Porcupine Tree, Sylvan, Riverside, Pendragon US $9.99 [0 bids]
Various - Pendragon, Vol. 1 2xCD 2002 Mark Sinclair Nu NRG Power Trance US $8.47 Buy It Now 4 days
Shadowland - Ring Of Roses cd 1992 Clive Nolan Pendragon Arena Threshold Casino US $19.90 Buy It Now 4 days
PENDRAGON - PURE - NEW LTD 12" INDIGO BLUE VINYL LP US $23.75 Buy It Now 4 days
SECRET-BLOW WIND BLOW-HARD TRANCE/PENDRAGON @LISTEN@ US $8.13 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon-1985 poster size press advert US $16.96 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon Live Utrecht...The Final Frontier CD Prog Rock +Xtras $36-50 on Amazon US $20.00 Buy It Now 5 days
PENDRAGON PASSION SEALED CD NEW US $5.70 Buy It Now 5 days
NEUTRONIC Last Year's Product CD Pendragon NEW Sealed US $19.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon - Out Of Order Comes Chaos NEW 2 x CD US $21.88 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon - Concerto Maximo NEW 2 x CD US $21.88 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon The Window Of Life Japan CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PENDRAGON: Fly High Fall Far LP (UK, mini-LP, sl cw) Rock & Pop US $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
PENDRAGON THE REST OF PENDRAGON + 1 BONUS TRK JAPAN CD W/STICKER US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon - World CD SNAPPER CLASSICS (UK) US $15.55 Buy It Now 5 days
Pendragon - Introducing... CD US $13.59 Buy It Now 5 days
PENDRAGON Fly High Fall Far Ex+ EMI 1984 UK LP US $11.87 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON 'FLY HIGH FALL FAR' UK LP US $15.26 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - PASSION - SMACD970 US $23.00 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - MASQUERADE OVERTURE THE - SMACD997X US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - WORLD THE - SMACD1008X US $13.89 Buy It Now 6 days
Pendragon / Window Of Life JAPAN+2 w/Sticker PROMO!!!!! A US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Pendragon / Live in Lille JAPAN+1 Marillion w/Sticker PROMO!!!!! *C US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MICHAEL PENDRAGON - PENTAGRAMS Vol. 3 - RARE CASSETTE TAPE Pagan Witch 2003 US $8.99 [0 bids]
MICHAEL PENDRAGON - PENTAGRAMS Vol. 1 - RARE CASSETTE TAPE Pagan Witch 1986 US $8.99 [0 bids]
PENDRAGON - THE WORLD - SDPCD186 US $14.36 Buy It Now 6 days
Pendragon Saved By You (12") US $3.31 Buy It Now 6 days
Pendragon: Masquerade Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd genesis QS US $80.75 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - STILL STANDING NEW CD US $25.23 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - PURE NEW CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 6 days
PENDRAGON - CONCERTO MAXIMO (DVD & 2CD) - MMPDVD0172 US $36.07 Buy It Now 7 days
PENDRAGON - AND NOW EVERYBODY TO THE (LTD) - MMPDVD0086 US $41.55 Buy It Now 7 days
PENDRAGON the jewel 1985 UK ELUSIVE STEREO LP US $20.37 Buy It Now 7 days
PENDRAGON - INTRODUCING... * [PENDRAGON] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $6.64 Buy It Now 7 days
Pendragon - Pure [CD New] US $13.92 Buy It Now 7 days
PENDRAGON - PASSION (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.14 Buy It Now 7 days
EXPOSURE MUSIC FANZINE NO 7 - ROGER WATERS/PENDRAGON/PALLAS/TWELFTH NIGHT US $33.93 Buy It Now 7 days
FASCINATION PROGRESSIVE ROCK FANZINE ISSUE 1 - MARILLION/PALLAS/ PENDRAGON/IQ US $33.93 Buy It Now 7 days
SLOGANS MUSIC FANZINE NO 16 - PENDRAGON/YES/MARILLION/ STEVE HACKETT/IQ US $33.93 Buy It Now 7 days
PENDRAGON-4 TITLE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD SET ACi66 US $145.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Pendragon Red Shoes 7" vinyl single record UK AWS101 AWARENESS RECORDS 1987 US $13.27 Buy It Now 8 days
Clive Burr Ligotage I.Q. Solstice X She Pendragon Twelth Night 1983 Programme US $10.05 Buy It Now 8 days
PENDRAGON - WINDOW OF LIFE - SMACD983X US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon - Passion [CD New] US $13.18 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon live concerts London 19th 20th March 1986 small poster print A5 size US $25.44 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon - Window Of Life The NEW CD US $12.27 Buy It Now 8 days
TAFFRICAN PENDRAGON 12" VINYL DREAM2004T US $11.02 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon - Window Of Life The NEW CD US $14.54 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon - Masquerade Overture [CD New] US $10.53 Buy It Now 8 days
Pendragon Not Of This World 2001 ULTRARARE SPECIAL RUSSIAN VERSION US $9.94 Buy It Now 8 days
PENDRAGON - ONCE UPON A TIME IN ENGLAND part 1 US $27.00 [0 bids]
PENDRAGON-MASQUERADE OF OVERTURE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 9 days
BLOOD ARM angela 7" b/w pendragon (rockers39) pic slv uk city rockers 2007 US $8.47 Buy It Now 9 days
Believe by Pendragon (CD, Aug-2011, Madfish) US $9.26 Buy It Now 9 days
PENDRAGON - BELIEVE NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 9 days
Pendragon - Masquerade Overture [Vinyl New] US $29.48 Buy It Now 9 days
FIRE IN HARMONY various LP 8 track featuring haze,pendragon,liaison,trilogy,sols US $19.69 Buy It Now 10 days
Pendragon - Not Of This World [CD New] US $10.54 Buy It Now 10 days
Pendragon - Believe [CD New] US $12.22 Buy It Now 10 days
PENDRAGON - CONCERTO MAXIMO - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.23 Buy It Now 10 days
Not of This World by Pendragon (CD, Mar-2012, Snapper) US $7.58 Buy It Now 10 days
PENDRAGON - NOT OF THIS WORLD NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy PENDRAGON music online Buy PENDRAGON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PENDRAGON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PENDRAGON The World ratings distribution

PENDRAGON The World reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This is neo progressive rock. PENDRAGON sounds a bit like MARILLION, but MARILLION is more refined, more subtle. This record is full of good songs and bits. The keyboards of Clive Nolan (ARENA, SHADOWLAND) are very good, when he doesn't eternize for too long time on a specific pattern. Actually, I've rarely seen a keyboard player with so many different patterns and sounds.

The lead vocals are excellent, as always, the electric guitar solos a la Steve Rothery (MARILLION) is excellent too. The rythm of this record is slow, and you have to listen it more than once to discover that this record is really progressive. Just one bad point: Peter GEE's bass is definitely insufficient!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#5725) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Review by chessman
5 stars This was the third Pendragon cd I bought, although the second track, 'The Voyager' was the first song by them I ever heard - through a cassette sampler a friend of mine had. I love this track, and feel there is a big Genesis influence here. In fact, I have often thought this band are closer to Genesis than ever Marillion were, even in their early days. Of course, it was always Fish's voice, and Mark Kelly's keyboards that connected the the two bands, but with Pendragon it is a lot of the songs' structures that bring to mind Genesis. The other band whose influence shows most is Pink Floyd, especially in the guitar solos and the female backing vocals sometimes used. This cd kicks off with the brilliant 'Back In The Spotlight', an excellent and powerful opener. Next comes the aforementioned 'Voyager', a classic. 'Shane' is the shortest song on the cd, but one of the best. I love this track. It has everything. Strong melody, beautiful backing vocals, and an inspirational guitar solo at the end. Tremendous! The next track, 'Prayer' is another strong song, though maybe slightly weaker than the first three. Not much in it though! The epic, 'Queen Of Hearts', is another tremendous piece of composition, alternating between gentle passages, with harp-like interludes, and powerful guitar work. An excellent track! The final song, 'And We'll Go Hunting Deer', is another lovely, gentle piece, which reminds me very much of Anthony Phillips's best work. It sounds like something he could have composed. A nice ending to a lovely and varied album. Essential listening. Whilst I don't believe it to be their best album, it is a must for every serious prog fan, especially those who enjoy Genesis and Marillion. A word of warning though, Nick Barrett's voice takes some getting used to!

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#5726) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 19, 2004

Review by Hibou
4 stars PENDRAGON are one of those rare prog bands completely devoid of musical posturing. They simply follow their sweet little hearts, bang their drums, set the music aflame and you can't help but gulp it all down with gusto. Purists don't like them much and I'm the first to admit their material is none too complicated. But if you're looking for a genuinely good time, no strings attached, you'll rarely come across music that so engages the mind, the body and the spirit all at once.

"Back in the Spotlight" is an infectious little rocker and a perfect opener. As for the 12-minute + "The Voyager", I could try and pick it apart, talk about its catchy melodies, appropriate time changes, flowing themes - it wouldn't do justice to it. Let's just say it features the essense of what PENDRAGON is all about. You could skip over two tracks called "Shane" (although this one features some nice guitar play) and "Prayer". The next three, however, are the album's pièce de résistance.

I'm talking about a 3-piece suit made up of "Queen of Hearts / A Man Could Die Out Here / The Last Waltz". The first is a mellow tune with a floydian flavour that introduces the next. "A Man Could Die Out Here" features the most exhilarating piece of instrumental neo-prog I've yet to hear - it's simply intoxicating and has me reeling with delight every time I hear it. Push it to eleven, my pets, 'cause you'll want to play this one LOUD! A real 'kick-ass' of a rock tune! The last of the trilogy, "The Last Waltz", is not a waltz at all but a mid-tempo, almost sing-along number that doesn't owe much to prog, but what an emotional finale to some great music - lovingly simple, simply lovely. The last track, "And We'll Go Hunting Deer" is a little cheesy but nice in its own way.

The musicianship through out the album is exemplary, the keyboards a pure delight and the percussion as tight as can be. Sure, Nick Barrett sings in his usual goofy, whiny voice; but who cares when the music is this good (bring on the cheese, please!!!)

Gosh, what a breath of fresh air these guys are...

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#5727) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars I'm rounding off to the upper unit here as to avoid too much controversy. This album is the first I will consider as a good Pendragon album but still has flwas in it. I believe it also the first one to plunge into all of the clichés used by neo-prog bands - first exhibit your honour , look at the sleeve artwork, then pull the disc out and put it in your deck and listen and then what ? I rest my case, Case Closed , your honour!!! All kidding aside , if you are into neo , this should please you because this is where Pendragon gets its act toigether and decide to stop their noodlings left , right and center during the previous decade. This is why I rewarde them of the rounding off to the upper unit.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#5728) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 04, 2004

Review by progaeopteryx
2 stars I was basically put into a deep sleep by this below-average release by Pendragon, which surprises me by the number of people that seem to like it. Maybe I'm just strange. My sleep was so deep that I literally merged with my sofa. I realized it was over when I woke up to silence and darkness, which quite disturbed me. Am I dead? But no, fortunately for me, I found my way out from underneath the sofa cushions with most of my brain cells intact and able to write some semblance of a review.

The World starts off with Back in the Spotlight, which has a strong Marillion feel, but pales in comparison to Marillion's worst. Nick Barrett's vocals are way below average. It's an okay song, but a face-squinching (what an adjective!) start that leads me to think we're heading for trouble. The second track, The Voyager, has a promising title and a promising 12+ minute time, but once I got halfway through it, I began to realize that it's just not happening. It's okay, but it's missing the energy needed to make it a good song. It shows some Genesis influences, but the vocals are stale and the mix is just too sterile, too "clean-cut." Shane, the third track, is again okay, but has the same problems. The fourth track, Prayer, is downright sappy with poor vocals.

The fifth track is the three-part suite Queen of Hearts, timing in at almost 22 minutes. Before listening to this, I had the hope that this might lift this album out of mediocrity, but again, it failed. It is better than the other songs on this album, but the vocals are still poor, the digital keys are cold and sappy in places, and it drags on for way too long. The last track, And We'll Go Hunting Deer, is "blah." I don't how else to describe it.

I bought the 2005 re-release by Snapper Music. This featured a bonus track called Sister Bluebird. The funny thing is, the bonus track is better than any other song on the whole album! I've never seen this before. Sister Bluebird is much better produced, has more warmth, nice keys and guitars, and even Barrett's vocals are better. Pendragon would have been better off releasing an album full of bonus tracks. Two stars, only for collectors and fans. All others avoid.

Send comments to progaeopteryx (BETA) | Report this review (#72429) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 20, 2006

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars The future of progressive music looked quite bleak in 1991: hair bands still ruling, grunge was rising and all major neo prog bands stuck in a rut. They all had either broken up (Pallas, IQ) or gone looking for other markets (Marillion). Jadis was a kind of late comer and really did not count. Bu also it was that time Pendragon resurfaced after a 3 year hiatus. Previously this english band looked like a second rate Marillion in the eyes of many and their previous album, Kowtow, suggested the group might follow others neo prog acts into pop music. Surprisingly Pendragon came back with the first of their truly prog sounding CD. With The World the group not only went back to their prog roots, but actually created a style of their own. The sound was more sophisticated, more focused, more adventurous. Nick Barret had matured his songwriting and the group worked as a truly living thing, it was bigger than the sum of its parts.

Up to 2001's Not Of This World, Pendragon came with better and better sounding albums. They got the recognition they deserved on The Masquerade Overture. Actually Masquerade and Not Of This world were so much acclaimed that fans tend to forget that their previous effords (The World and Windows Of Life) were excelent ones and quite groundbreaking for their time. I myself was one of those fans. Recently I rediscover this CD and I've been hearing it a lot. And although I have The World for quite a while, I never gave it too much attention, something I'm correcting now. After all, it might not have the same development of Masquerade or the bombastic arrangements fo Not Of This World, but the songwriting and the performance are so strong they overcome any limitations they might had at the time. The music still soars convincily and the emotions are the same. It was hailed by critics as a classic in 1991. They were right. Highly recommeded.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#89669) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 14, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars As I have mentioned in previous reviews (and I work chronologically), I like Pendragon a lot.

Their music is of course not complex. But most of the time (if you expect "Kowtow" of course) it is full of emotions, melodic and beautiful music. Actually, the best point of comparison I can think of, since I am also reviewing the entire catalogue for Barclay James Harvest, is the similarity between those bands. Nice music. Beautiful harmonies. Great guitar breaks. This is also how Pendragon sounds.

It is of course easy to say that this studio album is their best one to date (since there were not so many). If you are looking for weird lyrics or incredible and complex pieces of music, you'll have to knock on your neighbour's door. What you'll get here is just wonderful music with lots of feeling. From start to finish.

None of the tracks are weak. There will be some outstanding ones. "Voyager" is a perfect example. Nick is of course not the best lead singer in the world (I have already said this about John Lees), but he is so emotional and sincere... I have seen Pendragon live in May 2006, and this feeling was present during the whole of their (very long) live set. The audience being really passionate. Of course we are not in front of a new Genesis or Floyd. But we all know this.

Pendragon just brings me A LOT of emotion. And I can tell you that this record won't be dissapointing. Of course "Voyager" sounds like a Genesis song, but do you really have too much of these ? I don't, and I never will. I'm just overwelmed with joy when I listen to this track. So beautiful, yet so simple...

It is clear that with "The World", the band reaches full maturity. It will be the first of a wonderful trilogy. The finale of "Voyager" is a pure jewel of prog music... I have never understood (except for "Kowtow" which was rather poor) that this band is categorized in the neo-prog genre. They sound so symphonic and beautiful that there is no hesistation for me : Pendragon is a symphonic band.

"Shane" is very Floydian. So what ? There are poorer references, aren't they ? This is a wonferful and melodic song. I just have the shivers when I listen to it. "Prayer" is at least as good. What a great melody ! Nick 's vocals are just great (but some will say that he can't sing...).

The "piece the resistance" is their epic "Queen of Hearts" divided into three movements. It is a real pleasure to listen to Pendragon. So beautiful music is just fabulous. If you do not like to listen to this type of albums all the way through and are missing some dull improvisations and weird sounds, just put another CD into your multiple CD reader, but be sure to get one spot free to insert "The World" (or a later one of the Trilogy). Just to give you a breathe (in the air).

The middle part ("A Man Could Die Out Here") is my preferred one. All symph and beauty. More rocking as well. A very good track indeed.

Pendragon is of course not an influent band. It does not play in the major league for its global work. But still, they produce a powerful symph-pop-prog. Some blunders in their career (but which one did not produced one ? Remember Yes, Tull, Genesis).

When playing live, they are also great. Nick being a good entertainer and positive person. I just love them. Clive being the cement of their sound as well.

This album is not a masterpiece as such, but it is really close : it holds some pure symph prog gems. Besides, I like it an awful lot. Four stars (but I would have rated 9 / 10 if it was possible).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#122444) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Review by Atkingani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars During the 80s and 90s I wasn't too much concerned about the so-called neo- progressive, even the label was odd for me until years after the genre erupted - those infamous bands like MARILLION, ARENA, IQ, etc, meant few to me and haven't touched my heart. Well, all changed the day I took contact with PENDRAGON and it happened due to "The World".

In fact, all resumed more or less by the beginning of the new century when PENDRAGON existed for more than 20 years and "The World" had completed an entire decade. I don't know what caught me initially, maybe the beautiful cover or the need to explore something different. I cannot even remember if someone gave me a tip about the band or the album - what I'm really sure is that something clicked on me when I first heard it (was I older and more tolerant?).

'Back in the spotlight', the typical neo-prog song that opens the album is powerful enough to grab your attention and make you to wait for new vibrations, which came through the lengthy "The voyager", a fine mini-epic with nice symphonic atmosphere, but anyway here and there it's possible to discern some Floydian tunes and folk spices. 'Shane' and 'Prayer', the next tracks keep the album in a fair mood even not being spectacular - again the same direction heard previously is present for both songs: good vocals and instrumentation, extra-high musicianship - there's a clear line followed steadily by the band in pursuing their goal to show the concept behind the songs.

'Queen of hearts', a piece divided into 3 independent segments, is the ultimate album epic and what an awesome and pleasant moment we are gifted: voices and instruments work in harmony but they still can be spotted individually and it's great. Album closes with the soft 'And we'll go hunting deer', and I cannot think of a better song to end this output.

After "The World" my view about neo-prog changed totally and the genre is now pretty acceptable as part of my personal taste. This is a good album, bordering the masterpiece realm and a recommended work for prog beginners. Final rating: 4.

Send comments to Atkingani (BETA) | Report this review (#126562) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 22, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Progressing well

Inexplicably, for some reason "The world" was the only Pendragon album missing form my collection up until this year. Released in 1991, some three years after "Kowtow", "The world" is Pendragon's first truly prog album. Following an abortive relationship with EMI records which resulted in the "Kowtow" album, this time the band decided to make the music they really wanted to make, an album for themselves. The result was a highly confident and competent statement of intent, and a first rate album too. By the way, it was around this time that Nick Barrett met his future wife, our very own "Progchick". Coincidence? I think not!

After the upbeat and admirably positive opener "Back in the spotlight", we have one of the albums highlights, "The voyager". Written during what Nick describes as "the most inspiring time of his life, in America", this fantastical tale of adventure is clearly semi-autobiographical, while reflecting the pioneers of yesteryear. Barrett's guitar work here is particularly striking, with Clive Nolan's keyboards laying lush textures of sound on which the track is built.

The two tracks which follow are shorter more standard Pendragon fare. "Shane" would have fitted in well on "Not of this world", while "Prayer" starts out as a softer ballad but builds quickly back to the big sounding stately form which characterises the band's music.

The centrepiece here though is undoubtedly the three part, 22 minute "Queen of hearts". This was the bands first attempt at a prog epic, and by and large it works well. There is perhaps an over dependence on the vocals, which largely suppresses the opportunities for instrumental development. While the lyrics are well written (Barrett is usually the sole composer on the album), a little pruning might have been wise. That said, Nolan does add some fine synthesiser to "A man could die out here" (the middle part). The album concludes with the reflective "And we'll go hunting deer"; a fine, relaxed, slightly softer piece.

The 2005 re-release of the album has a bonus track "Sister bluebird" (nothing to do with "Starship Trooper" by Yes). The track is very much in the same mould as those which precede it, with some fine guitar by Barrett.

In all, a fine album which will appeal to those who enjoy neo-prog. The Steve Hackett/Genesis influences are strong, especially in the guitar work. The band would develop and refine their style on future albums, but "The world" is the album which set them on the right course.

This was the first Pendragon album to feature the artwork of Simon Williams, the superb fantasy images further emphasising the prog direction the band had now firmly set course on.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#128185) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 12, 2007

Review by Flucktrot
3 stars This is an example of a band that was still finding its sound. Bearing that in mind, I will grudgingly give this three stars, though if they released this material today (as opposed to 1991), it would be an easy two star rating for me. There are plenty of good musical ideas, but they just can't quite pull them off. The strange thing is that I can't easily identify why exactly, and that seems to be the case for a fair amount of other reviewers: this album is just a bit boring, and it just doesn't have enough parts that hold the attention of those whose ears are well attuned to prog. Here are my possible reasons: extended lead-ins containing ambient and atmospheric keyboard/guitar combos, too much repetition (keyboard/synth lines, choruses, etc), and select places where Barrett overextends his vocal range/abilities. Individually, none of these are dealbreakers, but from a Gestalt perspective, the whole is just not quite right.

Back in the Spotlight. A very solid intro, with catchy guitar effects/harmonies, keyboard flourishes, and riff to close the track. Maybe not the best musical moments of the album, but certainly the most cohesive song for me.

The Voyager. 2 minutes before the vocals, and another 1.5 minute before drums. Let's pick up the pace Pendragon. We then hear a nice groove and chorus, but the music dies down again for three minutes to build to the nice guitar bit. There IS good music here, but they really make you work for it (eventually the law of diminishing returns on my listening effort kicks in).

Shane, Prayer. Two singles that take few chances and are quite forgettable. I have to admit that I enjoy Barrett's work on guitar.

Queen of Hearts. I really want to like this epic. There is good guitar, nice keyboard arrangements, and some memorable emotional and upbeat parts (especially the middle sequence), though the ending is a bit cheesy and cliche. Good thing Pendragon worked out the kinks here to produce some very focused and entertaining extended pieces later in their career.

And We'll Go Hunting Deer. This is the prog equivalent of maple syrup: overly sweet, and you certainly don't want to consume too much. At least this ends the album on a happy (if contrived) note.

Given a certain mindset and amount of patience, this could be a worthwhile album for you. That hasn't been my experience, but I do enjoy Pendragon's later work. Decent music, but not recommended.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#137257) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 08, 2007

Review by progrules
3 stars I have to say I'm a bit amazed about the average score so far for The World. Don't get me wrong, Pendragon is a great band, one of my all time favourites even but this album is not by a long way one of their better efforts. I only really liked it in the beginning and then we are talking about 1992 or so and then I have to add to it that this was one of my very first real prog albums, I was mainly into Saga in that period and in those circumstances you can imagine that a good album by Pendragon is mindblowing.

But as I learned more prog and later on also more Pendragon I also learned that though this album is good it's far from sensational. I already had that in mind before I gave it a last spin recently for the review to check if what was in my mind was really what it is to me now and that I will be giving a justified judgement about it. In fact there is not even one song on the album I got really enthusiastic about, it was just the second part of Queen of hearts that got me somewhat going but the rest was just a bit better than mediocre to me. It shows how music can evolve on you. In 15 years time it has gone from some 4,75 stars to 3,25 now. So I think I have to round this down to 3 stars. Even though this album meant a totally new style for the next decade by this band !

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#154242) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 05, 2007

4 stars The thing that surprised me most about this album was the atmospheric passages that come and go throughout. In fact a couple of reviewers on this site compare certain sections to PINK FLOYD. PENDRAGON sounding like PINK FLOYD ? Well it's a good comparison actually. I find this music so uplifting and moving at times, I am definitely a fan of this band. It's kind of cool that beside the title of each track they give the year and the place that each song was written.

"Back In The Spotlight" opens with guitar and synths before keys and drums join in. Nick starts to sing before 2 minutes. Love his voice. It's hard not to smile when he sings "...seize the day" , which is followed by a beautiful guitar solo. "The Voyager" I think is my favourite song on here. An atmospheric intro as you can hear the water flowing. Keys a minute in change the mood but not for long as synths come in and wash repeatedly. Vocals 2 1/2 minutes in. It gets quite uplifting 4 minutes in. A nice long guitar solo after 8 minutes. Nice. "Shane" opens with some atmosphere before kicking into gear 1 1/2 minutes in. It's still a releaxing song though, very reflective with a tasteful guitar solo after 3 minutes. "Prayer" opens with keys as reserved vocals and synths follow. Marching-like drums as vocals get passionate. A full sound after 2 minutes. This one is fairly melancholic really with a good vocal performance from Barrett.

"Queen Of Hearts" although being almost 22 minutes long, it's divided into 3 parts with each part being written in a different place. The last part is the oldest song(piece) on the album from 1987. The song opens with keys as sad vocals arrive much like the mood. A change 2 1/2 minutes in as a GENESIS flavour comes in making things brighter. Another change after 4 minutes as vocals and acoustic guitar remind me of MARILLION. Some nice background synths during this passage as well. A nice long guitar solo after 7 minutes. This first part queen of hearts is 8 minutes long. The second part "...a man could die out here..." is also around 8 minutes long. It has an uptempo intro before quickly settling down a minute in. Some more atmosphere before it kicks back in 2 1/2 minutes with guitar and drums leading the way. Synths to end it. The final part "the last waltz" isn't as good as the first two sections in my opinion. Kind of catchy though. "And We'll Go Hunting Deer" opens with keys and synths. Atmosphere ! After 2 1/2 minutes we get a change as drums and reserved vocals arrive. Cool song.

I couldn't agree more with Hibou, these guys are a breath of fresh air. What a lineup as well. Nolan shines on the keyboard, while Fudge Smith is his usual solid self. Barrett is brilliant on vocals and lead guitar. Gee is the only one who seems lost in the mix or something.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#158845) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2008

Review by Warthur
4 stars There's a recurring theme of travel and wanderlust in the lyrics, but for many fans The World is where Pendragon truly came home. No longer the schizophrenic group of the 1980s, Pendragon have stopped trying to mix melodic pop-rock numbers into their act and have increased their emphasis on Nick Barrett's soulful guitar playing.

In the three years since Kowtow Pendragon had mainly focused on consolidating Toff Records, rereleasing their old albums under their new label and producing the Rest of Pendragon compilation. But they clearly weren't idling musically speaking; instead, it seems that they've gone through a period of consolidation there too, finally deciding on what direction they want to take and pursuing it with gusto.

They chose the perfect time to do it. With Marillion and IQ taking a decidedly more commercial direction, and Pallas, Twelfth Night, and Solstice all on hiatus, 1991 was a dark time if you were a fan of the veterans of the Marquee scene and their early 1980s sound, and The World was an excellent alternative, rooted in the neo-prog sound and incorporating influences from Marillion and other big names without compromising Pendragon's own style. Hand on heart, I can't say it's an *essential* neo- prog album, but it's still a great disc which filled a gap at a crucial period in the genre's development. It's preaching to the neo choir a little, but it's a fine fine sermon indeed.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#209511) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars The third world in the UK

The World is Pendragon's third full length album overall but it was the first on which the band found their own sound and musical identity. Indeed, the formula established by this 1991 album would then be followed quite closely on subsequent albums up till and including Not Of This World that was released exactly ten years after the present album. Like the music itself, also the fantasy inspired cover pictures of these albums (The Window Of Life, The Masquerade Overture and Not Of This World) follow very closely the form and aesthetic of The World.

The previous two albums were quite immature and contained only traces of the typical Pendragon sound that can be found from this album onwards. This sound has as its essential components the distinctive vocals of Nick Barrett and his slow, sustained guitar play as well as the ever pleasant and lush keyboard work of the great Clive Nolan. Also quite characteristic is Barrett's particular style of song writing and the very high production values. In order to see what makes this music progressive you have to look both at the micro and the macro level. That is, both in the small details and in the larger structures. In between there is not much progression going on to be honest.

Three songs from this album are parts of a 20 plus minute suite called Queen Of Hearts. These songs are Queen Of Hearts, A Man Could Die Out Here and The Last Waltz. These songs would have to be declared the highlights of the album together with the American sounding The Voyager. The latter features harmonica and Country-like, bluesy acoustic guitar licks.

Personally, I have always found the music of Pendragon to be a little bit too lightweight and light-hearted for my taste, somehow lacking in depth and substance. However, there is no denying the talents of these musicians. This music is not particularly groundbreaking in any sense, but they do have a distinctive sound of their own which is more important. While their next album is slightly stronger than the present one, on The World is where it all began. The World is only the first in a series of good Pendragon albums.

While I find it quite hard to fault this album, I also find it very hard to conjure up much enthusiasm over it. It is a good album, but that's all it is.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#223853) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 29, 2009

5 stars An album that I really enjoy followed by an album that I don't like much at all - what was on the table for this third release 3 years after the last? By the time this was released Marillion had lost Fish (Oh Woe of Woes) although their "Season's End" album was brilliant the forthcoming works fro ... (read more)

Report this review (#1024512) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 27, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Re visiting the earlier (mid?) catalogue of Pendragon I'd forgotten what stunning music they had been producing. 'The World', 'The Window Of Life' and 'The Masquerade Overture', are three superb albums by anyone's standard, soaring guitar work, tempered by ethereal keys and excellent melodies; t ... (read more)

Report this review (#228492) | Posted by huge | Sunday, July 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the 3rd release of the English Band, Pendragon... Pendragon, after the release of 2 interesting albums, demostrate for the first time their great capacity of composing nice progressive rock. The World consists of lyrical and melodic, progressive tracks that sound much as Marillion. I ... (read more)

Report this review (#221767) | Posted by FatalV | Friday, June 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'The world is your oyster, search for your dreams and make them come true' That's what it says on the inside of the booklet. A bit cheesy, and actually the majority of their lyrics are in this vein. But really, I don't care because the music is FAR from being average. Pendragon can be accused f ... (read more)

Report this review (#194129) | Posted by Barla | Wednesday, December 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Mid 80´s to 90´s beginning, the time when the art genre was left to ruin, falling down, but some heroes didn't abandon the boat; independent acts resisted - as I mentioned in Iconoclasta "soliloquio" and Coda reviews - now some more history: the 1985 "The Jewel" (4****) by Pendragon was one mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#191964) | Posted by Prog_Veteran | Friday, December 05, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Having refound Pendragon after a gap of 22 years I have found this the hardest album to get into but it has been well worth the wait. The World is often attributed with defining the modern Pendragon sound and I can appreciate this as it does sound very much of its time but this should be take ... (read more)

Report this review (#158844) | Posted by SLFTB1 | Thursday, January 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars "And then came doubt, then came the fears" I must admit, I am not a fan of neo-progressive music. I've listened to several highly rated albums from the genre and nearly none of them caught my interest. Unfortunatly, it is the same for this one. This album is leargely keyboard based, the vo ... (read more)

Report this review (#117752) | Posted by jikai55 | Monday, April 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well, I hate to give bad reviews, but since this is the only Pendragon album I've listened to I thought I should put in my comments. First, I can't think of many more boring albums that this one. The first track seemed somewhat promising, but lacked any real bite or power. And after that, it ... (read more)

Report this review (#83462) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I close my eyes and find myself floating somewhere where everything feels so good. I turn the volume more up and feel the extacy rising. It starts as a gentle U2 turning into a pleasant texture made by keyboards and guitar interacting in harmony. The singing and the voice suits the music perfe ... (read more)

Report this review (#72605) | Posted by pirkka | Thursday, March 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Welcome to the world of fairytales! The man who tells them is called Nick Barrett. He's an owner of warm, high voice and his guitar play is an ellegant mixture of Davud Gilmour's and Andy Latimer's styles. His songs are based on nice melodies, but there are more melodic fragments here. Every ... (read more)

Report this review (#71586) | Posted by | Friday, March 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 3.5 stars. Step by step, chord by chord, Pendragon were working up to their greatest achievement, The Masquerade Overture. They started off pretty advanced with The Jewel, but it was evident from the beginning that they had a few great ideas, but surrounded them with filler and sub-par song ... (read more)

Report this review (#68814) | Posted by stonebeard | Wednesday, February 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It's a very great album, which changed style of Pendragon. It begins with great, rocky "Back In The Spotlight". I like this song, but then we have something really marvelous - "The Voyager". It is one of the best songs of Pendragon, and one of my favourites. After that we have "Shane" - beauti ... (read more)

Report this review (#67071) | Posted by | Friday, January 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars The album starts off sounding encouraging; a bit like Fish-era Marillion, with the lead-off track Back in the Spotlight. The vocals aren't very strong, so the music weakens a bit from that. The next songs just become weaker still. Later on, Queen of Hearts picks up the pace and energy, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#41478) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A great album. Pendragon has distilled and perfected their previous work into a sound that has all features a good neo-prog act should have. Catchy melodies, great high-pitched guitar work on a frame of symphonised keyboards, with plenty of tempo and mood changes. Not to complex, but with grea ... (read more)

Report this review (#5729) | Posted by tuxon | Wednesday, February 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PENDRAGON "The World"