Opeth - Orchid CD (album) cover

ORCHID

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

OpethGuitarist
4 stars Opeth's first release here is one of the most groundbreaking albums in metal history. That being said, this album has very little "prog" in it. This is Gothenburg styled Opeth, with many what I would call, meandering songs.

Here we are without the drums of Lopez, and Opeth's music has a different focus than it would on later albums. The focus of this album is on intricate play between the guitars, and while it is very good and interesting, it is not very progressive, even though Opeth has forged a new sound and style than heard ever before.

The most progressive track here is Under the Weeping Moon, which has a very psychedelic progressive vibe in the middle of it. The best track here is In Mist She was Standing and Twilight is My Robe, however, I must warn that these will not be for everybody.

A great Opeth album, but not one that I think the majority of the progressive community would find interest in. I love the album's overall style, it's inventiveness, and it's uniqueness in the band's catalog. All this aside, it's still an excellent album.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |