Pink Floyd - Meddle CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

4.31 | 2071 ratings

Peter
4 stars MEDDLE is one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums, but it's very different from my other three faves, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, WISH YOU WERE HERE and ANIMALS.

This fabulous disc is much more diverse in direction than those that would follow. Roger Waters' anger and paranoia don't yet rule the day; there is profound beauty here, on great, shorter songs like "A Pillow of winds" and "San Tropez," while the whimsical track "Seamus," with its barking dog, actually reveals a sense of fun! Such emotional variety would be notably absent on later releases; not that those albums are any less indispensable for that! I whole-heartedly agree with earlier reviewers who enjoy the power and psychedelia of "One of These Days" and the epic "Echoes." Those ARE essential examples of the sound fans normally associate with Floyd. Yet "Fearless" is not only one of my favourite Pink Floyd songs, it's also uplifting: "I will climb that hill in my own way, and every day's the right day...."

In closing, fellow Floydians, after blasting "Sheep," "Money" or "Welcome to the Machine" you can kick back and relax to the oft-overlooked gems on MEDDLE. Don't just program in "One of These Days" and "Echoes" -- enjoy MEDDLE in its glorious, multi-faceted entirety!

Peter | 4/5 |