Kansas - Leftoverture CD (album) cover

LEFTOVERTURE

Kansas

WaywardSon
5 stars This was the breakthrough album for Kansas, lyrically and musically itīs hard to beat. The album opens with "Carry On Wayward Son" which Iīm sure almost everyone has heard! Strangely enough this was the last song that was selected for the album, and just as well because it became one of their biggest hits worldwide.

"The Wall" is a true classic. At a young age Kerry Livgren was looking for spiritual enlightenment and this is reflected in his lyrics..

"The moment is a masterpiece, the weight of indecisionīs in the air Itīs standing there, the symbol and the sum of all thatīs me Itīs just a travesty, towering, blocking out the light and blinding me I want to see"

Definitely one of Livgrenīs strongest compositions. A fine performance by Steve Walsh!

"Whatīs on my mind" is probably the most straight forward rocker on this album, with Steve Walsh sounding a lot like Paul Rodgers of Bad Company (Rodgers is one of Washīs favourite vocalists)

"Miracles out of Nowhere" has some beautiful acoustic segments and some great lyrics. I especially like the part where he describes someoneīs mother

"And though your bodyīs ailinīyou, your mind is just like new Tell me where youīre going to?"

"Opus Insert" has some very comforting lyrics telling us that the spirit is surrounding us all! Some people say that lyrics arenīt that important, but in the case of Kansas, the lyrics are one of the best things about this band!

"Questions of my childhood" is another song with spiritual lyrics and beautiful musical time changes to accompany them.

"Cheyenne Anthem" is one of Livgrenīs songs dealing with the mortality of man. Steinhardt shares the vocals with Wash on this one. This is a song that gives me goose bumps!

The album closes with the epic "Magnum Opus" , an instrumental divided into six parts. This is an amazing musical journey (especially on headphones)

One of the greatest albums ever made.

WaywardSon | 5/5 |