Opeth - Deliverance CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars This album is difficult for me to rate, becuase while better than many other releases by other bands, it was more or less a letdown for me, it was sub-Opeth, if that makes sense. It has many good and great sections, but many sections are boring and pointless, or even horrible.

For example, A Fair Judgement has quite possibly the worst outro ever. However, the end of Deliverance(the track) is excellent, with excellent syncopation and use of a simple chord like E5 to create a brilliant riff. This is obviously much heavier than its counterpoint, Damnation, however the heaviness is not near as awesome or moving as on albums like MAYH and Still Life. BTPISIO is one of the more interesting tracks Opeth has created, and is a real break for most Opeth fans as it doesn't have that distinct "Opeth sound" even though it implements unique breaks and death vocals.

I wouldn't blame the band entirely for this one though, as I think its unfortunate becuase of the situation they were put in during the making and recording of this album. The band was more or less rushed into doing this and as we know, creative juices can't be forced. A good album, and an excellent album to own, but not good for Opeth standards.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |