Deep Purple - Stormbringer CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

4 stars Stormbringer is one of my favourite Deep Purple albums. I've got nothing to criticise on this album, the music is simply outstanding as far as I'm concerned. There are no weak songs here: (here come the superlatives, excuse my enthusiasm) great hard rock songs - Stormbringer, High Ball Shooter, Lady Double Dealer, Hold On, the bluesy (funky) - You Can't Do It Right and Love Don't Mean a Thing, and three slower tracks - Holy Man (amazing vocals from Glenn Hughes), Gypsy (brlliiant vocals from both Coverdale and Hughes, great guitar solo from Mr. Blackmore, and last but not least Soldier of Fortune (one of the best ballads ever).

The bluesy direction of the album alienated Blackmore but the other members regrouped the next year to make one album with guitarist Tommy Bolin but dismembered after the tragic death of the guitarist. These things being said, I strongly recommend this album to both progheads and rockers everywhere, this album is a Must Have to any collector of prog and non-prog music.

Cristi | 4/5 |