Finch - Glory of the Inner Force CD (album) cover

2 stars Ah, these guys are making it very difficult for me. The style is seemingly right up in my alley as I have a preference for instrumental works with plenty of soloing. The slight CAMEL-ish and at times reminiscent of FOCUS touch would also work in their favor with me. Honestly, I'd like to like this album, but it refuses to grow on me.

So, what's wrong with this album? Simply, too many notes, just too busy for little return. A typical case where less would have been more. Ambitious? Yes. Overkill? Absolutely!

Nervous, overzealous delivery, at times bordering on irritating where the credible bits are obscured by the cacophony of everyone is trying too hard. FINCH would have been really well served by engaging a capable arranger and arriving at a 4-5 star result.

I am truly sorry to say as I'd like to like this work, but the "Inner Force" here appears to be too over the top and remains without "Glory" in my books. Much refinement and substantially more subtlety would be in the order.

Reluctantly, I have to decline even a 3 as this album is unlikely to have another spin at my place. A real pity, but by my criteria I can't even see the point of keeping it in my collection.

BORA | 2/5 |