Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You CD (album) cover

IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I'D DO IT ALL OVER YOU

Caravan

Canterbury Scene

ProgRob
4 stars I discovered Caravan with the album 'In The Land Of The Grey And Pink' (Land), about a half a year ago I think. At first, the music did not convince me. Too much vocals, not enough instrumental excitement, a weak classic- camel copy etc. But in a short time, my thoughts changed. After a few more spins, 'Land' became a favorite album in my collection. Especially the long piece 'Nine Feet Underground' is pure enjoyment. What I like mostly about this band is the organ-sound David Sinclair is doing his solo's on. Mike Rathledge of Soft Machine also used this kind of sound, as did the Dutch band Supersister and so on. I discovered I was missing an essential album of Caravan, namely, their second album, 'If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You'.

To be honest, I really love this album. I love it more than 'Land' because it contains more songs, and the 14- minute during 'For Richard' is absolutely unbeatable. What a great jam! It's just as good as 'Nine Feet Underground', for sure. Caravan was also good in writing short, catchy, radio-friendly songs such as the title track, and 'Hello Hello' (features David Sinclair on vocals). Let's not forget another epic on the album: 'With An Ear To The Ground You Can Make It...' The voice of Richard Sinclair sound very much like Robert Wyatt from Soft Machine. Well, they're both from the Canterbury-scene, it's a special town, that's clear.

This album belongs to my ten favorite prog-albums now. Albums like 'Waterloo Lily' and 'Girls Who Plump Out In The Night' are ones I have yet to discover. Way to go! Magnificent album.

ProgRob | 4/5 |