Finch - Galleons of Passion  CD (album) cover

3 stars Well intended effort and an improvement on their first, rather hectic album.

Unfortunately, this work is still lacking direction - and as such - it fails to impress. To their credit, they applied some restraint here, but that is just not sufficient to elevate this work beyond noting the lack of irritation associated with their debut release.

My criteria is relatively simple. Would I listen to an album again? I'd have to say no to this one. Not whilst hundreds of potentially promising albums are sitting on my shelves, awaiting for the first spin. "Galleons" is not bad, it's just not quite good enough, either. There is enormous material available even from those early years of Prog, yet to be examined - and in some cases, absorbed - thanks to numerous releases from the vaults in recent times.

With that in mind, I couldn't possibly rate this work as essential. Life is just not long enough to fill with other, but the very best.

BORA | 3/5 |