Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

FOXTROT

Genesis

ebil0505
5 stars This was my first exposure to Genesis and has my favorite song of all time, so of course I'll write a review. Though I'm not very good at reviews. Anywayyys

Watcher of the Skies was, for me, the best example of how music can grow on someone. I did not care for this song when I first heard it. I thought it was repetitive and boring; more fool me. I soon realized what was truly behind this song besides a complex driving rhythm. The lyrics offer an interesting story of an alien visiting earth after humankind's demise. There is more to this song than meets the ear and it's a fine example of Genesis in their prime.

Time Table is a pleasant little song written by Banks I believe. While not as epic or complicated as their other songs, this one sends a good message I think. It's an excellent bridge between Watcher and Get 'em Out.

Get 'em Out by Friday is like Harold the Barrel 2.0. Musically, there is so much going on during the chorus that it highlights the much quieter guitar riffs and vocal storytellings. To be honest I don't give this song enough credit. Whenever I listen to it I keep realizing it's better than what I keep thinking it is, if that makes sense.

Can-Utility and the Coastliners is (IMO) their most underrated work. They never really played it live which makes me sad because it's full of musical flourishes that are prime examples of why we love Genesis. I also love their use of rhythm guitar behind Banks' solo. Also the ending is rather tragic but again, that's why we love Genesis.

Horizons is, as Gandalf would say, "the deep breath before the plunge" and honestly it's a fine piece of music from Hackett. As short as it is soothing, this acoustic track prepares you for the grand masterpiece that is to come.

Supper's Ready is my favorite song of all time; surprise! Yep, there is so much to be witnessed here from dancing flowers to apocalyptic foreshadowing. Instrumentally speaking, this song is not only epic but also rhythmically complex (Apocalypse in 9/8) which is refreshing in and of itself. The change in mood brings a memorable and interesting perspective on song writing. And to top it all off they reprise the beginning melody at the end which I just love to death (in any song really).

Well, those are my thoughts. Thanks for reading if you actually did :)

ebil0505 | 5/5 |