Iris - Crossing The Desert  CD (album) cover

5 stars Having listened to practically thousands of albums, one could be excused for having come close to saturation point. It's not common that things would easily impress anymore. The seeming profusion of clones has become a rather irritating issue for me.

"Crossing the Desert" has hit me as a very pleasant and totally unexpected surprise. I found it rather by chance and whilst I enjoy ARRAKEEN's music, at the time I was unaware of the connection.

So, the reality is that "sight unseen" I gave this album a spin. My first reaction was that there are elements of TANGERINE DREAM. The nice layering of the synth work is rather impressive and made me more alert to what was to follow. The more I've heard, the more impressed I became. Not that there is much there that would rival my most fave artists, but in actual enjoyment value, this album is outstanding.

Unhurried, laid back compositions with subtle complexity delivered in a most professional manner. All instrumental and not aiming at chart success with forced vocals. That's a definite plus for me!

The odd nod towards PIERRE MOERLEN's GONG goes down rather well with me and - of course - some passages remind of instrumental bits by MARILLION - surprise, surprise...!

My conclusion is simple. I enjoy this album very much and that's what really matters.

BORA | 5/5 |