CROSSING THE DESERT

Buy IRIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Indian Dream (7:55)
2. Train De Vie (4:03)
3. Memory Of Eagle (8:48)
4. Tap On Top (4:35)
5. War (8:10)
6. Obsession (2:04)
7. Crossing The Desert (10:07)
8. Ocean Song (3:39)

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert lyrics

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert tabs

- Sylvain Gouvernaire / guitars, piano, keyboards, and synth, Fretless bass (#3)
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Pete Trewavas / bass
- Tarek Abaï-Chanab / percussion
- Pete Parsons / percussion (#4)
- Susie Luff / voice (#1)

IRIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• War Crossing The Desert , 1996

Buy IRIS Crossing The Desert Music

WrathWrath
Diffusion Records 2005
(BN318) Stone Iris, Silhouettes - sealed DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 1h 11m
King Cool by Donnie Iris (CD, Jun-1993, Razor & Tie) US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
(CQ723) Pellumair, Silk As Her Era / Iris - 2005 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 1h 45m
DONNIE IRIS 20TH CENTURY MASTERS (CD) AWESOME NERD POP! GR8 SHAPE! US $1.99 [0 bids]
Donnie Iris - Back on the Streets LP MCA 5179 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Iris Now That I Found You VINYL Boris & Beck vocal dub Cove Bros MG accapella US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
DONNIE IRIS - King Cool - CD - RARE - Razor & Tie 2016 - Love Is Like A Rock US $12.00 [1 bids]
DONNIE IRIS - No Muss ... No Fuss - CD - AUTOGRAPHED - Signed - ULTRA RARE US $125.00 [0 bids]
Rare Promo EP CD: five star iris - Day in the Sun - 2003 - Rock - Hooptyville US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Donnie Iris--The High And The Mighty (Cassette, 1982, MCA) NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Emmy The Great - Iris 7" Vinyl NEW US $6.85 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Arco Iris Vintage Exploring South America Cassette 1981 US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 23m
"IRIS" Soundtrack (CD 2002) James Horner/Joshua Bell ***EXCELLENT*** US $15.88 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Emmy The Great ?- Iris / Emily - CD Promo 2 tracks US $6.63 Buy It Now 14h 26m
Iris Williams "He Was Beautiful (Cavatina)" Great UK 7" US $11.18 Buy It Now 14h 28m
IRIS WILLIAMS 70's sheet music HE WAS BEAUTIFUL US $19.94 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Iris Williams - No Walls, No Ceilings, No Floors 1980 7" Ex/Vg Columbia DB9074 US $6.63 Buy It Now 16h 41m
Donnie Iris and The Cruisers King Cool 1981 MCA Records 33rpm LP MCA-5237 W/Inst US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
DONNIE IRIS * AH! LEAH! & THE RAPPER * 45 RPM US $10.00 Buy It Now 18h
Sovereign(CD Single)Burn The Iris-Burn The Iris-R2073-Netherlands US $11.62 Buy It Now 18h 35m
Clérambault: Le Triomphe d'Iris, Pastorale by Serge Goubioud (CD, Feb-2000(LN) C US $4.75 Buy It Now 18h 50m
Iris 2 - Various Artists New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $23.67 Buy It Now 19h 3m
Iris-James Horner Soundtrack-2002 Sony! US $10.19 Buy It Now 20h 20m
OZRIC TENTACLES "Strangeitude" CD 1991 Iris Records 7 Great Songs RARE Album US $5.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS *DJ COPY" "MY GIRL" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 21h 52m
CD Carly Simon 'Never Been Gone' Iris Records 2009 DIGIPACK SEALED US $0.99 [1 bids]
Stanley And Iris [Audio Cassette] Original Soundtrack RARE NEW SEALED US $18.69 Buy It Now 22h 4m
1992 Miranda Sex Garden E.P.:Lovely Joan, Falling, Fear, Blue Light, Iris-VGC US $3.49 [0 bids]
Iris Williams All Or Nothing 7" Single US $9.12 Buy It Now 23h 56m
Iris Williams Dearest Friend (Chi Mai) 7" Single US $9.12 Buy It Now 23h 56m
(EJ192) Pellumair, Iris - 2004 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS CD Music From The Motion Picture US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE FRENCH SP IRIS CHRYSALIDE US $5.99 [0 bids]
?KOREA CD/Ami - Everyday I Let You Go (IRIS?) OST US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
33-rare!! Iris Chacon Y Elin Ortiz/ Que Mosquern" Tu No Eres Hombre /hit Gold US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Back on the Streets by Donnie Iris (Cassette, MCA (USA)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bearded Iris Flower Garden Portrait Matted Art Print - 5 in x 7 in Design - 8 i US $7.07 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris - Olivero, Ottolini, Monachesi. Piacenza 1970 US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris / Tough World 45 rpm MCA Promo Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Five Star Iris Live Fools CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris - Warner Sunset 9285, U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Carly Simon - Never Been Gone CD digipak 2009 Iris Musique US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Three by Iris Anvil (CD, Dec-2002, Harvest Media ... US $0.49 [0 bids]
Famous Among the Barns by Ben Taylor (Singer/Songwriter) (CD, Feb-2003, Iris... US $5.00 [0 bids]
KIM ROBERTSON tape Wild Iris harp Celtic reels US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Maria - Maria Bethƒania (CD 1993, Iris Musique France) [Import] Afro Latin Pop US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GOO GOO DOLLS IRIS (PROMO CD/2 VERSION) FROM CITY OF ANGELS US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS DEMENT The Way I Should, White Label Promo LP Vinyl US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris EP [EP] by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Jun-1992, Mute) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris: Tough World / You're Gonna Miss Me 7" 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
beret - arco Iris - Japan CD- NEW J-POP US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS DEMENT - MY LIFE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $27.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Sapessi Dire No by Biagio Antonacci (CD, Oct-2013, Iris) US $12.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Lp-DONNIE IRIS-Fortune 410-1983 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS WILLIAMS HE WAS BEAUTIFUL 33 LP RECORD ALBUM STEREO UK 1979 SCX 6627 VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS WILLIAMS JUST FOR YOU 33 LP RECORD ALBUM STEREO UK 1981 EMC 3376 VG+ COND US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EMMA IRIS FIGUEROA Abriendo Surcos Lp RARE PUERTO RICO FOLK Guillermo Figueroa US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Stanley And Iris Soundtrack CD *SEALED* OOPS RARE US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
INKS, DONNIE IRIS (X3), 4- 45'S, SEE BELOW US $3.00 [0 bids]
ISRAEL IRIS & OFER PORTUGALY ISRAEL ISRAELI JAZZ OOP CD 94 ????? ????? ??????? US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY LP SEALED MCA 5358 US $11.23 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS - HYDRA (IMPORT) NEW CD US $30.67 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS Appendix EP France 1993 Indie Pop Noise Listen US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS DEMENT - INFAMOUS ANGEL (180GM) NEW VINYL US $27.64 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS WILLIAMS - HE WAS BEAUTIFUL/WE DON'T MAKE EACH OTHER.. (DB 9070) UK 1979 7" US $3.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Morrison, Big Head Todd, Cake, Morphine, Iris Dement, Morcheeba U.S PROMO cd US $9.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Huge Lot of 20 Latin Audio CDs: 98 Degrees Tito Nieves Ivan Lins Arco Iris Maija US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS x-JAGGERZ USA PS DJ 45 on MCA TOUGH WORLD US $3.60 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS Back On The Streets LP MCA 1980 Power Pop US $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Arco Iris - Peace Pipes SEALED Vinyl LP 1987 Passport Jazz Latin South American US $31.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Emma Iris Figueroa Abriendo Surcos Conjunto De Cuatro Puerto Rico NMINT US $39.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS 1983 WL PROMO 7" THIS TIME IT MUST BE LOVE EXC/NM US $1.95 Buy It Now 2 days
CITY OF ANGELS - SOUNDTRACK CD ~ IRIS~GOO GOO DOLLS~ERIC CLAPTON~U2 +++ *NEW* US $22.33 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS DEMENT THE WAY I SHOULD CD Billy Burnette, Delbert McClinton, Mark Knopfler US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GOO GOO DOLLS Platinum Play EP Iris 1998 4-track CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris & Ofer Portugaly - Eden 1995 CD Israel Jazz #50 US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - Iris CD *SEALED* *RARE* US $14.69 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris - Hydra CD US $25.40 Buy It Now 2 days
beret - arco Iris - Japan CD J-POP - 14Tracks US $11.39 Buy It Now 2 days
GOO GOO DOLLS_Iris_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Arco-Iris,Amizade,Japan CD,Obi US $20.00 [0 bids]
JIM WALSHE days gone by 7" b/w farewell to nova scotia (2078116) pic sleeve iris US $12.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Famous Among the Barns by Ben Taylor (Singer/Songwriter) (CD, Feb-2003, Iris... US $1.99 [0 bids]
TEST PRESS/ Iris Starr - Trust Me (LISTEN) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CARMEN CANELA - IRIS NEW CD US $30.67 Buy It Now 2 days
DEMENT, Iris - Infamous Angel (reissue) - 180 gram vinyl LP US $31.74 Buy It Now 2 days
ARC IRIS - ARC IRIS: CD ALBUM (March 31st 2014) US $17.45 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVE BAILEY QUINTET LADY IRIS B PT 1&2 7 INCH 33 RPM LP US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Carme Canela - Iris [CD New] US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris - Hydra [CD New] US $12.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris by Miranda Sex Garden (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
King Cool by Donnie Iris (Cassette, MCA (USA)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS FORTUNE 410, MCA-5427 US $0.99 [0 bids]
IRIS WILLIAMS ~ HE WAS BEAUTIFUL ~ 1979 UK 12-TRACK LP ~ COLUMBIA SCX 6627 US $9.97 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS WILLIAMS ~ PICTURE ME LOVE ~ 1980 UK 13-TRACK LP RECORD ~ COLUMBIA SCX 6633 US $9.97 Buy It Now 2 days
GOO GOO DOLLS - LET LOVE IN CD.CONTAINS IRIS. US $1.65 [0 bids]
Iris y Franklyn LP#KLP-130(G) US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
I'M GLAD THERE IS YOU by IRIS WILLIAMS CD 1995 SEA-KER RECORDS AUSTRALIAN US $15.00 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS *DJ COPY* "MY GIRL" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS DEMENT - MY LIFE [IRIS DEMENT] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $8.20 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IRIS music online Buy IRIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IRIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IRIS Crossing The Desert ratings distribution

IRIS Crossing The Desert reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars How I got suckered into buying this one and managed to find another loonie into taking it off my hands (well the loonie is a good friend of mine just into that stuff). Pointless home-made solitary studio doodling . Please do not mention the Marillion connection. Actually , the sheer amount ofd solitary work does command some respect , but unless one is a legend and a genius , one should avoid making or writing an album alone ( this album is the case ,even though there are guests , they had ni input I can detect) because you simply have no second opinion. Of course , you will find other people who will find this good (my loony friend) , I cannot admit such amateur oeuvre , however impeccably played by the musicians.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#3869) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 20, 2004

Review by progrules
3 stars I can be short about this mainly instrumental album: it's a nice one to play if you are trying to get to sleep while playing music. I don't even mean it as an insult. Sometimes I like to sleep with music on the background. This is a good example. It's quite soft stuff without too many sound explosions. There is some melody there but not very significant.

I don't love it and I don't hate it; somewhere in between. So three stars for this one (2.75)

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#139257) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars There are times when I feel so misunderstood , scratching my cranium wondering if I am some kind of wack-job and when I read previous unflattering reviews about an album that I really like , I get even more agitated. Mind you, it took me years to really appreciate Iris' album because I sort took it for granted also and paid scant attention to it, which in turn explains the tepid reviews. I revisited it recently, listening to it very loud as rightly suggested by the liner notes and it blew me away, completely miffed at why I missed this 10 year-old addition to my collection. I guess that I was also guilty of offering only low volume appreciation and I did get it right. Sean Trane and I have opposite views on many prog recordings, with only a few concurring sentiments, so I guess I must be one of those "loonies" he describes so flippantly. Love ya anyway, mate! First off, this is no neo recording as it contains no vocals, no commercially accessible structure and it is not simple fodder either. Just because Ian Mosley and Peter Trewavas play on it, does not mean it's Marillion "sans" Hoggarth. The rhythm tandem has never sounded as tight and as complex as on this recording, both displaying flashes of technical brilliance and unsuspected flair. Sylvain Gouvernaire (formerly of Arrakeen) is in no way a Rothery clone, his style winks at Latimer but mostly nods at Steve Vai or Satriani, while occasionally gently musing like Steve when the tempo becomes atmospheric. That this is a pure technique /noodling fest is correct but the context is phenomenally invigorating.

"Indian Dream" is a subtle, dreamy opening salvo with quirky atmospherics, whispering synths, tic-toc percussion and then, the suddenly shrieking guitar enters the fray. Gouvernaire immediately astonishes with some curvy flourishes, all restraint and infatuation, effectively transmitting the sullen impressions his axe wishes to express. Isn't this what music is all about? Far beyond background music, this piece has juices brimming from every note, with loads of keyboards handled by the guitarist. The final searing solo is truly absurd, desperately seeking out both power and passion. "Train de Vie" gives the bass an opportunity to feverishly develop some dizzying notes, with Mosley bashing firmly in unison, I sort of forgot how good Trewavas can handle (or finger?) the 4 string instrument, while Sylvain roams all over his Tom Anderson electric guitar with energized delirium. This piece veers closely to funk-fusion and would be close to Gongzilla more than anything! The seductive acoustic guitar finale is a clever and timely contrast that impresses . Very nice! "Memory of Eagle" starts off leisurely with some surprising piano work, more robust fretless bass (I am a sucker!), slowly ratcheting up the elegant mood (great orchestral synth backdrops) and waiting for the fretboard to exude some magic. Potent rhythm blasts illuminate the electric path taken by the reserved solo, punctuated by Mosley's sleek and authoritarian drumming, choir effects brilliantly adorning the arrangement. Trewavas weaves (not a bad word association) in and out of the scrimmage with expertise, bowing to the stylish homecoming of the piano. "Top on Top" is a colossal lead guitar showcase, seeking out new supersonic trajectories like a laser guided missile, flirting with stratospheric horizons, nervous yet controlled, this is where the Vai/Satriani hints come to the fore. This is placid, yawn-inducing and boring? The next piece is the acknowledged gem, as "War" is a masterpiece of eloquence and bravura, avidly expressing the gloom, doom and the mortal injustice of conflict, using dark barricades of sad orchestrations, funeral drum beats and out of nowhere an upsurge of melancholic devastation, giving Mosley another opportunity to confirm his mastery, while Gouvernaire flies over the neck of his instrument, ripping, raging, routing, revolting and resounding with impassioned ability. His torpid style is way more aggressive than Rothery or Latimer, sweepingly despondent and urgently irate, conveying instrumentally the horrors of human stupidity. The grandiose piano -led outro clearly brings to mind the quiet after the storm and ultimately the senselessness of it all. The graceful solo is simply heavenly, Wow again! The short "Obsession" serves a welcome respite after all the desolation and despair of the previous conflict. Extremely effect- laden, massively orchestral, the guitar-synth paints abstractions chock full of impressionist contrasts and experimental rebounds, very nice indeed. The 10 minute "Crossing the Desert" is probably the crowning achievement here, a masterfully memorable piano intro that explodes into a resounding vortex of sound right from the get-go, the trio delving deeply into the most effusive soundscapes, howling guitars urging the beleaguered bass and drums, egging them along forcefully. Gouvernaire proves his mettle here again, surely more manic than all his influences combined, meshing grace and fury with ostensible cheek. When the glorious main theme rises from the sands, the bombastic solo is like a feathery mirage full of desperation and thirst. The piano knows when to provide oasis-like comfort and shade, balancing out the contrasts, much like the subject matter (there is nothing on earth as complex and extreme as the desert). In this, the artist demonstrates a vivid understanding of his own inspiration and the ability to formalize it with harmonics and musical architecture. 8 minutes in, the brutal sonic sandstorm is unleashed once again, sudden and overpowering, leaving the cowering listener in thrilled numbness. Exhilarating! How could I have missed this for so long? The precious finale is "Ocean Song", a diminutive farewell full of tender elegance, translucent synth barrages reminiscent of Patrick O'Hearn's work, sumptuous cascades of sound and silence, incredible pacing and quasi-deferential reverence.

What a great instrumental album this is, much maligned, misunderstood, mislabeled and sadly, mis- reviewed. Well the loonie crossed the desert and I have seen the distant light.

4.5 blooming flowers.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#210129) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 04, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Iris is one of the almost forgotten bands from the '90's, and to me is strange, here in PA is low rated like on other prog webs. Is that bad???, for sure no, at least to me. Having a solid line up , 2 members from Marillion, the drumer Ian Mosley and bassist Pete Trewasvas and the main man of the band the guitarist and keybordist from Arakeen Sylvain Gouvernaire. What you expect when you have such musician involved here, a good album, yes, a great album , maybe not in the end but for sure not a bad or boring album as amny pretend to be. The music is all instrumental with various atmospheres from mellow to more up tempo, imagine the instrumental side of Marillion, Gouvernaire guitar sound most of the time like Rothery with some Pink Floyd moments like the title track Crossing The Desert . All in all a fairly good album, that is too unnoticed here, maybe the listners would expect something with more vein , more balls in compositions, not some floydian gitar arrangements melted with neo prog. Some good pieces stands apart here like Train De Vie, Top on top or Memory Of Eagle, that shows Iris had great future but for some resons never made it in this circles. 3 stars for Crossing the desert, not a fantastic release but not a bad one for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#294872) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Iris was a project started in 1992 by guitarist Sylvain Gouvernaire,when he had already moved to England after the disbanding of Neo-Prog band Arrakeen.There he worked with many musicians like Cozy Powell,Clive Nolan (even participated in the Casino project),Mark Kelly but also Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas from Marillion.The last two agreed to play on Sylvain's project ans so the album ''Crossing the desert'' was born in 1996.

Here Sylvain handles all keyboards except the guitars with Trewavas on bass and Mosley on drums.This is a whole instrumental effort based on melodic lines, dreamy soundscapes, virtuosic solos and special effects.The style is quite close to that of ARRAKEEN's, split between keyboard-piano driven mellow passages and guitar-dominated parts with deep emotional content and comes as a cross between Neo Prog and Symphonic Rock with a touch of New Age music.Bands like DOGMA and CHANCE are great reference points.Complexity and power are not absent,a couple of tracks feature great breaks,a pounding rhythm section and challenging guitars.Unfortunately not everything is great.The keyboard work of Gouvernaire is very safe almost hypnotic at moments with an actually supporting than major role,while there are lots of smooth moments that work more as fillers between richer passages rather than as parts of the instrumental project.The production and mix though are absolutely fantastic and help the more demanding moments of the album sound very atmospheric and even bombastic.

Sylvain would return back to France after the recordings and completed a five-piece line-up with double guitars (but without Trewavas or Mosley) to perform the album on stage.He almost immediately begun writing material foe a second Iris release,but for unknown reasons this would never see the light.

Having in mind who are these guys playing on ''Crossing the Desert'',someone would expect a memorable and high-praised release.The album contains plenty of moments of confirming the talent of the trio but also parts with no deep inspiration.Good and recommended album,no more or less.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#549759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011

5 stars Having listened to practically thousands of albums, one could be excused for having come close to saturation point. It's not common that things would easily impress anymore. The seeming profusion of clones has become a rather irritating issue for me. "Crossing the Desert" has hit me as a very ... (read more)

Report this review (#874029) | Posted by BORA | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Iris is Marillion, but with other guitar player. Perhaps, the album sounds really good. Mr. Gouvernaire has a great talent to compose and play the guitar: he creates a fantastic ocean athmosphere ("Ocean Song") and the can make a really hard and emotive prog ("Crossing the Desert"). Some songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#40417) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IRIS "Crossing The Desert "