CROSSING THE DESERT

Buy IRIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Indian Dream (7:55)
2. Train De Vie (4:03)
3. Memory Of Eagle (8:48)
4. Tap On Top (4:35)
5. War (8:10)
6. Obsession (2:04)
7. Crossing The Desert (10:07)
8. Ocean Song (3:39)

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert lyrics

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert tabs

- Sylvain Gouvernaire / guitars, piano, keyboards, and synth, Fretless bass (#3)
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Pete Trewavas / bass
- Tarek Abaļ-Chanab / percussion
- Pete Parsons / percussion (#4)
- Susie Luff / voice (#1)

IRIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• War Crossing The Desert , 1996

Buy IRIS Crossing The Desert Music

WrathWrath
Diffusion Records 2005
IRIS WILLIAMS - Many Moods Of ~ VINYL LP SIGNED US $11.94 Buy It Now 56m 57s
DONNIE IRIS king cool MCF 3127 A1/B1 1st press uk mca 1981 LP PS EX+/EX US $14.93 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Iris & Ofer Portugaly jazz rock CD Israel Jazz US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Iris Larratt(Vinyl LP)Out Of My Heart-Acclaim-CM 12005-USA-VG+/Ex US $25.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
IRIS WILLIAMS 'HE WAS BEAUTIFUL' UK 7" SINGLE #3 US $1.64 Buy It Now 5h 38m
IRIS WILLIAMS 'HE WAS BEAUTIFUL (CAVATINA)' UK 7" SINGLE #2 US $1.64 Buy It Now 5h 38m
IRIS WILLIAMS PICTURE ME LOVE LP ALBUM F2 US $6.63 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Iris CD Crossing The Desert Marillion Dream Theater Yes Rush Transatlantic US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
ARC IRIS NEW CD US $20.07 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Donnie Iris & The Cruisers - King Cool - Rock LP SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 48m
Iris Williams - The Gentle Touch - POLD5118 (LP) US $6.63 Buy It Now 9h 56m
ARC IRIS NEW VINYL US $32.90 Buy It Now 10h 24m
DONNIE IRIS-SHE'S SO EUROPEAN / SOMEBODY 1983 12" MCA REC. PROMO SINGLE VG++ US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 56m
1980 Donnie Iris Ah! Leah! / Joking 7" 45 rpm MCA-51025 VG+ Vinyl US $8.40 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Iris Dement - My Life 180gm Vinyl [Vinyl New] US $21.04 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Never Been Gone [Digipak] by Carly Simon (CD, Oct-2009, Iris Musique) US $5.34 Buy It Now 13h 29m
Iris Salvagnini - Enfim [CD New] US $25.37 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Light Iris - Damaged & The Saved [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 13h 36m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN / IRIS / CASSETTE TAPE / MUTE US $9.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Walt Weiskopf / Mindwalking / 1990 Iris Records Compact Disc US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 53m
PARLANE, Rosy - Iris - CD US $22.84 Buy It Now 13h 59m
SACRAMENTO ARCO IRIS CRUCIS SPINETTA ALMENDRA LP RECORD URUGUAY US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 52m
ARCO IRIS - Que la paz prevalezca en la tierra - rare old record lp ofARGENTINE US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 52m
IRIS ORNIG - NO RESTRICTIONS NEW CD US $28.90 Buy It Now 15h 4m
Sundress White Iris 7" Vinyl California Dames Sealed US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Rata Blanca / Guerrero del Arco Iris JAPAN Barilari POCP-1449 ORG!!! US $59.99 Buy It Now 15h 38m
Grupo Arco Iris Del Cusco ?- Si Somos Americanos Somos Hermanos Lp Peru US $45.00 Buy It Now 15h 43m
IRIS ORNIG - NEW GROUND NEW CD US $25.07 Buy It Now 16h 4m
NM RARE FEMALE VOCAL GROUP 45 - TOBY AND IRIS - WHAT I WANT/DING DINGA CUB 9009 US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Donnie Iris King Cool CD US $14.50 [2 bids]
Broken Down Figure [Slipcase] by David Saw (2008, Iris Musique) CD NEW SEALED US $2.75 Buy It Now 19h 46m
IRIS DEMENT THE WAY I SHOULD CD Billy Burnette, Delbert McClinton, Mark Knopfler US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 48m
CITY OF ANGELS - 1998 Music CD - Uninvited, Angel, Iris, Spreading Wings +++ US $1.50 [0 bids]
21h
IRIS - 1 1984 Electrecord US $24.20 Buy It Now 23h 8m
Donnie Iris: King Cool LP VG++/NM Canada MCA 5237 US $3.99 Buy It Now 23h 27m
Emmy the Great - Iris - 2 Track US $6.63 Buy It Now 1 day
GREEK POP IRIS BALLADA GIA ENA XENO REMIXES OMORFI MERA TRIP HOP SEALED RAREST ! US $4.99 [0 bids]
Iris Williams(7" Vinyl)He Was Beautiful-Columbia-DB 9070-UK-VG+/Ex US $11.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Premium - Quigang Chen: Iris Devoilee [CD New] US $12.81 Buy It Now 1 day
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL - IRIS - SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $22.77 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS - Message Of Love (1st Mini Album) KOREA CD *SEALED* K-POP US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GOO GOO DOLLS: DIZZY UP THE GIRL [Black Balloon,Hate This Place,Dizzy,Iris++] US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sovereign(CD Single)Burn The Iris-Burn The Iris-R2073-Netherlands US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS - AUDIOPHILE - (2004) -- NEW & SEALED - GREEK SONGS CD US $8.00 [0 bids]
Donnie Iris and The Cruisers MCA Promo LP King Cool US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Dement - Sing The Delta CD BRAND NEW SEALED FREE SHIPPPING! US $13.99 [0 bids]
Arc Iris - Arc Iris (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $38.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Arc Iris - Arc Iris (NEW CD DIGIPACK) US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS 2 DAVICHI MBLAQ BEAST K-DRAMA OST CD + PHOTOBOOK SEALED US $14.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris - My Girl 45 RPM RECORD US $5.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS - Back On The Streets - Ex Con LP Record US $16.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Ornig - New Ground [CD New] US $17.19 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS KING COOL LP MCA-5237 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1 day
1985 ROCK PROMO Donnie Iris No Muss No Fuss Vintage LP of WILD CHERRY US $2.99 [0 bids]
Boyzone RONAN KEATING Iris Made in EUROPE PROMO DJ CD Single 2006 Goo Goo Dolls US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS LAMBERT - JOURNEY TO NOW - NEW SEALED CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris King Of Cool LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: Mascagni IRIS Vernizzi CONCERTGEBOUW 1963 opera US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LP DONNIE IRIS (ex JAGGERZ) - KING COOL (MCA, UK) 1981 ORIGINAL ISSUE ALBUM, EX+ US $8.30 [0 bids]
CD: Baden Powell TEMPO DE MUSICA box set IRIS 2006 US $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LOUIS NEEFS iris / blue beat 1968 EP CROONER BLUE EYED SOUL MOD BELTER Spain 7'' US $9.99 [0 bids]
Iris [Music from the Motion Picture] by James Horner (CD, Jan-2002, Sony sealed US $8.00 [0 bids]
QUIGANG CHEN: IRIS DEVOILEE / VARIOUS NEW CD US $18.94 Buy It Now 1 day
ADRIANA GUERRINI Soprano Iris Act 2 / Suor Angelica 12" 78 COLUMBIA DX1651 US $21.57 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE FRENCH SP IRIS CHRYSALIDE US $5.99 [0 bids]
POOR IRIS PAWN SHOP LIFE cd US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris (2001 film) by US $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
(DA437) Emmy The Great, Iris - 2011 DJ CD US $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED DONNIE IRIS: No Muss No Fuss LP HME RECORDS BFW39949 US 1984  US $14.39 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Carly Simon 'Never Been Gone' Iris Records 2009 DIGIPACK SEALED US $0.99 [0 bids]
Unknown Artist You Are the Rain Iris Gillon The New CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Donnie Iris by... US $6.99 [0 bids]
L'Amore Comporta * by Biagio Antonacci (CD, Apr-2014, Iris) US $39.87 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS - BACK ON THE STREETS LP US $9.50 Buy It Now 1 day
NIELS ROSING-SCHOW - NIELS ROSING-SCHOW: GRANITO Y ARCO IRIS - NEW CD US $16.10 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS - KING COOL - MCA RECORDS LP US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Pellumair Silk As Her Era / Iris 7" vinyl single record UK TUGS036 TUGBOAT US $9.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris 1981 MCA Promo 12" EP Live At The Paradise Boston The Jaggerz US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Villiers 7" vinyl single record Around The World In 80 Days UK LYN506 US $15.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Tom Russell The Long Way Around Original CD 1997 Hightone records Iris DeMent US $0.93 [0 bids]
King Cool Donnie Iris UK vinyl LP album record MCF3127 MCA 1981 US $20.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Larratt(Vinyl LP)Out Of My Heart-Acclaim-CM 12005-USA-VG+/Ex US $23.23 Buy It Now 2 days
Dub Mentor f. Iris Aneas - Porque Te Vas - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $7.77 Buy It Now 2 days
A HOUSE call me blue 7" with info sheets b/w freak out (neg35) promoter and iris US $8.29 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS WILLIAMS -7"Single -My Prayer/If You Really Cared US $8.29 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS WILLIAMS -7"Single -He Was Beautiful(Cavatina) EX+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
King Cool by Donnie Iris (Cassette, MCA (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ARCO IRIS-Peace Will Save The Rainbow-DANAIS TOKATLIAN-(Various Instruments)CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris Williams Picture Me Love vinyl LP album record UK SCX6633 COLUMBIA 1980 US $23.17 Buy It Now 2 days
GOO GOO DOLLS - IRIS 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS159 US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Way I Should, DeMent, Iris, Good Import US $14.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Out Of Fiction IRIS UK CD single (CD5 / 5") IGN187 ENGINEER 2012 US $17.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Donnie Iris King Cool vinyl LP album record German MCF3127 MCA 1981 US $19.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Original 1981 IRIS WILLIAMS Just For You LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" EMC 3376 US $13.39 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS WILLIAMS - We don't make each other laugh anymore - 1979 UK 7" Vinyl Single US $12.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris Williams(Vinyl LP)He Was Beautiful-VG/Ex US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris Williams Just Like Magic (PS) 7" Vinyl Single US $9.13 Buy It Now 2 days
GOO GOO DOLLS Iris UNRELEASED FLEETWOOD MAC TRK JAPAN PRESS CD Single USA Seller US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
After School Special by Iris (CD, Apr-1996, Bubble Core) US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS CAMAA - INTIMATE EXCHANGE - NEW CD US $11.41 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IRIS music online Buy IRIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IRIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IRIS Crossing The Desert ratings distribution

IRIS Crossing The Desert reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars How I got suckered into buying this one and managed to find another loonie into taking it off my hands (well the loonie is a good friend of mine just into that stuff). Pointless home-made solitary studio doodling . Please do not mention the Marillion connection. Actually , the sheer amount ofd solitary work does command some respect , but unless one is a legend and a genius , one should avoid making or writing an album alone ( this album is the case ,even though there are guests , they had ni input I can detect) because you simply have no second opinion. Of course , you will find other people who will find this good (my loony friend) , I cannot admit such amateur oeuvre , however impeccably played by the musicians.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#3869) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 20, 2004

Review by progrules
3 stars I can be short about this mainly instrumental album: it's a nice one to play if you are trying to get to sleep while playing music. I don't even mean it as an insult. Sometimes I like to sleep with music on the background. This is a good example. It's quite soft stuff without too many sound explosions. There is some melody there but not very significant.

I don't love it and I don't hate it; somewhere in between. So three stars for this one (2.75)

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#139257) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars There are times when I feel so misunderstood , scratching my cranium wondering if I am some kind of wack-job and when I read previous unflattering reviews about an album that I really like , I get even more agitated. Mind you, it took me years to really appreciate Iris' album because I sort took it for granted also and paid scant attention to it, which in turn explains the tepid reviews. I revisited it recently, listening to it very loud as rightly suggested by the liner notes and it blew me away, completely miffed at why I missed this 10 year-old addition to my collection. I guess that I was also guilty of offering only low volume appreciation and I did get it right. Sean Trane and I have opposite views on many prog recordings, with only a few concurring sentiments, so I guess I must be one of those "loonies" he describes so flippantly. Love ya anyway, mate! First off, this is no neo recording as it contains no vocals, no commercially accessible structure and it is not simple fodder either. Just because Ian Mosley and Peter Trewavas play on it, does not mean it's Marillion "sans" Hoggarth. The rhythm tandem has never sounded as tight and as complex as on this recording, both displaying flashes of technical brilliance and unsuspected flair. Sylvain Gouvernaire (formerly of Arrakeen) is in no way a Rothery clone, his style winks at Latimer but mostly nods at Steve Vai or Satriani, while occasionally gently musing like Steve when the tempo becomes atmospheric. That this is a pure technique /noodling fest is correct but the context is phenomenally invigorating.

"Indian Dream" is a subtle, dreamy opening salvo with quirky atmospherics, whispering synths, tic-toc percussion and then, the suddenly shrieking guitar enters the fray. Gouvernaire immediately astonishes with some curvy flourishes, all restraint and infatuation, effectively transmitting the sullen impressions his axe wishes to express. Isn't this what music is all about? Far beyond background music, this piece has juices brimming from every note, with loads of keyboards handled by the guitarist. The final searing solo is truly absurd, desperately seeking out both power and passion. "Train de Vie" gives the bass an opportunity to feverishly develop some dizzying notes, with Mosley bashing firmly in unison, I sort of forgot how good Trewavas can handle (or finger?) the 4 string instrument, while Sylvain roams all over his Tom Anderson electric guitar with energized delirium. This piece veers closely to funk-fusion and would be close to Gongzilla more than anything! The seductive acoustic guitar finale is a clever and timely contrast that impresses . Very nice! "Memory of Eagle" starts off leisurely with some surprising piano work, more robust fretless bass (I am a sucker!), slowly ratcheting up the elegant mood (great orchestral synth backdrops) and waiting for the fretboard to exude some magic. Potent rhythm blasts illuminate the electric path taken by the reserved solo, punctuated by Mosley's sleek and authoritarian drumming, choir effects brilliantly adorning the arrangement. Trewavas weaves (not a bad word association) in and out of the scrimmage with expertise, bowing to the stylish homecoming of the piano. "Top on Top" is a colossal lead guitar showcase, seeking out new supersonic trajectories like a laser guided missile, flirting with stratospheric horizons, nervous yet controlled, this is where the Vai/Satriani hints come to the fore. This is placid, yawn-inducing and boring? The next piece is the acknowledged gem, as "War" is a masterpiece of eloquence and bravura, avidly expressing the gloom, doom and the mortal injustice of conflict, using dark barricades of sad orchestrations, funeral drum beats and out of nowhere an upsurge of melancholic devastation, giving Mosley another opportunity to confirm his mastery, while Gouvernaire flies over the neck of his instrument, ripping, raging, routing, revolting and resounding with impassioned ability. His torpid style is way more aggressive than Rothery or Latimer, sweepingly despondent and urgently irate, conveying instrumentally the horrors of human stupidity. The grandiose piano -led outro clearly brings to mind the quiet after the storm and ultimately the senselessness of it all. The graceful solo is simply heavenly, Wow again! The short "Obsession" serves a welcome respite after all the desolation and despair of the previous conflict. Extremely effect- laden, massively orchestral, the guitar-synth paints abstractions chock full of impressionist contrasts and experimental rebounds, very nice indeed. The 10 minute "Crossing the Desert" is probably the crowning achievement here, a masterfully memorable piano intro that explodes into a resounding vortex of sound right from the get-go, the trio delving deeply into the most effusive soundscapes, howling guitars urging the beleaguered bass and drums, egging them along forcefully. Gouvernaire proves his mettle here again, surely more manic than all his influences combined, meshing grace and fury with ostensible cheek. When the glorious main theme rises from the sands, the bombastic solo is like a feathery mirage full of desperation and thirst. The piano knows when to provide oasis-like comfort and shade, balancing out the contrasts, much like the subject matter (there is nothing on earth as complex and extreme as the desert). In this, the artist demonstrates a vivid understanding of his own inspiration and the ability to formalize it with harmonics and musical architecture. 8 minutes in, the brutal sonic sandstorm is unleashed once again, sudden and overpowering, leaving the cowering listener in thrilled numbness. Exhilarating! How could I have missed this for so long? The precious finale is "Ocean Song", a diminutive farewell full of tender elegance, translucent synth barrages reminiscent of Patrick O'Hearn's work, sumptuous cascades of sound and silence, incredible pacing and quasi-deferential reverence.

What a great instrumental album this is, much maligned, misunderstood, mislabeled and sadly, mis- reviewed. Well the loonie crossed the desert and I have seen the distant light.

4.5 blooming flowers.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#210129) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 04, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Iris is one of the almost forgotten bands from the '90's, and to me is strange, here in PA is low rated like on other prog webs. Is that bad???, for sure no, at least to me. Having a solid line up , 2 members from Marillion, the drumer Ian Mosley and bassist Pete Trewasvas and the main man of the band the guitarist and keybordist from Arakeen Sylvain Gouvernaire. What you expect when you have such musician involved here, a good album, yes, a great album , maybe not in the end but for sure not a bad or boring album as amny pretend to be. The music is all instrumental with various atmospheres from mellow to more up tempo, imagine the instrumental side of Marillion, Gouvernaire guitar sound most of the time like Rothery with some Pink Floyd moments like the title track Crossing The Desert . All in all a fairly good album, that is too unnoticed here, maybe the listners would expect something with more vein , more balls in compositions, not some floydian gitar arrangements melted with neo prog. Some good pieces stands apart here like Train De Vie, Top on top or Memory Of Eagle, that shows Iris had great future but for some resons never made it in this circles. 3 stars for Crossing the desert, not a fantastic release but not a bad one for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#294872) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Iris was a project started in 1992 by guitarist Sylvain Gouvernaire,when he had already moved to England after the disbanding of Neo-Prog band Arrakeen.There he worked with many musicians like Cozy Powell,Clive Nolan (even participated in the Casino project),Mark Kelly but also Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas from Marillion.The last two agreed to play on Sylvain's project ans so the album ''Crossing the desert'' was born in 1996.

Here Sylvain handles all keyboards except the guitars with Trewavas on bass and Mosley on drums.This is a whole instrumental effort based on melodic lines, dreamy soundscapes, virtuosic solos and special effects.The style is quite close to that of ARRAKEEN's, split between keyboard-piano driven mellow passages and guitar-dominated parts with deep emotional content and comes as a cross between Neo Prog and Symphonic Rock with a touch of New Age music.Bands like DOGMA and CHANCE are great reference points.Complexity and power are not absent,a couple of tracks feature great breaks,a pounding rhythm section and challenging guitars.Unfortunately not everything is great.The keyboard work of Gouvernaire is very safe almost hypnotic at moments with an actually supporting than major role,while there are lots of smooth moments that work more as fillers between richer passages rather than as parts of the instrumental project.The production and mix though are absolutely fantastic and help the more demanding moments of the album sound very atmospheric and even bombastic.

Sylvain would return back to France after the recordings and completed a five-piece line-up with double guitars (but without Trewavas or Mosley) to perform the album on stage.He almost immediately begun writing material foe a second Iris release,but for unknown reasons this would never see the light.

Having in mind who are these guys playing on ''Crossing the Desert'',someone would expect a memorable and high-praised release.The album contains plenty of moments of confirming the talent of the trio but also parts with no deep inspiration.Good and recommended album,no more or less.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#549759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011

5 stars Having listened to practically thousands of albums, one could be excused for having come close to saturation point. It's not common that things would easily impress anymore. The seeming profusion of clones has become a rather irritating issue for me. "Crossing the Desert" has hit me as a very ... (read more)

Report this review (#874029) | Posted by BORA | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Iris is Marillion, but with other guitar player. Perhaps, the album sounds really good. Mr. Gouvernaire has a great talent to compose and play the guitar: he creates a fantastic ocean athmosphere ("Ocean Song") and the can make a really hard and emotive prog ("Crossing the Desert"). Some songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#40417) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IRIS "Crossing The Desert "