CROSSING THE DESERT

Buy IRIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Indian Dream (7:55)
2. Train De Vie (4:03)
3. Memory Of Eagle (8:48)
4. Tap On Top (4:35)
5. War (8:10)
6. Obsession (2:04)
7. Crossing The Desert (10:07)
8. Ocean Song (3:39)

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert lyrics

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert tabs

- Sylvain Gouvernaire / guitars, piano, keyboards, and synth, Fretless bass (#3)
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Pete Trewavas / bass
- Tarek Abaļ-Chanab / percussion
- Pete Parsons / percussion (#4)
- Susie Luff / voice (#1)

IRIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• War Crossing The Desert , 1996

Buy IRIS Crossing The Desert Music

Donnie Iris and The Cruisers MCA Promo LP King Cool US $3.99 [0 bids]
35m 48s
VINTAGE DONNIE IRIS LP THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY RECORD ALBUM ROCK N ROLL VINYL US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Gavazzeni / Mascagni: Iris (Standing Room Only) - Clara Petrella; Giuseppe Di .. US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Lifeline by Iris DeMent (CD, Oct-2004, FlariElla Records) US $11.08 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Iris "Appendix Ep" 1993 Alienor 4 song Ep/ French release US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Lifeline by Iris DeMent (CD, Oct-2004, FlariElla Records) US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Iris EP [EP] by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Jun-1992, Mute) US $2.17 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Walt Weiskopf / Mindwalking / 1990 Iris Records Compact Disc US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
10 YEARS Through The Iris 2006 DJCD PROMO CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Way I Should by Iris DeMent US $6.16 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Infamous Angel by Iris DeMent (CD, May-1993, Warner Bros.) country CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Back on the Streets by Donnie Iris (CD, 1993, Razor & Tie) RARE OOP AH! Leah! US $19.99 [0 bids]
Out Of The Blue By Donnie Iris And The Cruisers US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Pietro Mascagni - Iris CD US $16.80 Buy It Now 8h 40m
IRIS WILLIAMS - Many Moods Of ~ VINYL LP SIGNED US $14.33 Buy It Now 9h 7m
DONNIE IRIS king cool MCF 3127 A1/B1 1st press uk mca 1981 LP PS EX+/EX US $15.18 Buy It Now 9h 44m
Iris Larratt(Vinyl LP)Out Of My Heart-Acclaim-CM 12005-USA-VG+/Ex US $25.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
IRIS WILLIAMS 'HE WAS BEAUTIFUL' UK 7" SINGLE #3 US $1.67 Buy It Now 13h 49m
IRIS WILLIAMS 'HE WAS BEAUTIFUL (CAVATINA)' UK 7" SINGLE #2 US $1.67 Buy It Now 13h 49m
IRIS WILLIAMS PICTURE ME LOVE LP ALBUM F2 US $5.72 Buy It Now 14h 39m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN- Iris CD (1992 Mute EP) Lovely Joan/Falling/Fear/Blue Light US $9.13 Buy It Now 14h 50m
CARA 153 LALO TREVINO Y SUS VAMPIROS TE QUISE MAS QUE NADIE ARCO IRIS DE AMOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
Iris CD Crossing The Desert Marillion Dream Theater Yes Rush Transatlantic US $15.99 Buy It Now 16h 10m
Rata Blanca / Guerrero del Arco Iris JAPAN Barilari POCP-1449 ORG!!! US $59.99 Buy It Now 16h 34m
ARC IRIS NEW CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 16h 38m
The Way I Should by Iris DeMent (CD, Oct-1996, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Donnie Iris & The Cruisers - King Cool - Rock LP SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 59m
ARC IRIS NEW VINYL US $32.71 Buy It Now 18h 25m
My Three by Iris Anvil (CD, Dec-2002, Harvest Media ... US $0.49 [0 bids]
1980 Donnie Iris Ah! Leah! / Joking 7" 45 rpm MCA-51025 VG+ Vinyl US $8.40 Buy It Now 19h 26m
RARE FRENCH SP IRIS CHRYSALIDE US $5.99 [0 bids]
Iris Dement - My Life 180gm Vinyl [Vinyl New] US $21.04 Buy It Now 20h 47m
ACRO IRIS "BLUE PHEASANT" LP Sealed PRIVATE Psych Garage Rock Record prog fuzz US $29.45 Buy It Now 21h 6m
Iris DeMent - Infamous Angel LP NEW reissue 180g emmylou harris US $23.99 Buy It Now 21h 7m
Never Been Gone [Digipak] by Carly Simon (CD, Oct-2009, Iris Musique) US $5.34 Buy It Now 21h 39m
Iris Salvagnini - Enfim [CD New] US $25.37 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Iris Salvagnini - E A Cancao De Maria Medalha [CD New] US $27.63 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Light Iris - Damaged & The Saved [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 21h 47m
CD IRIS Disconnect US $0.89 [0 bids]
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN / IRIS / CASSETTE TAPE / MUTE US $10.11 Buy It Now 21h 56m
Gavazzeni / Mascagni: Iris (SRO) - Clara Petrella; Giuseppe Di Stefano; Boris .. US $44.99 Buy It Now 22h 4m
PARLANE, Rosy - Iris - CD US $23.21 Buy It Now 22h 10m
IRIS ORNIG - NO RESTRICTIONS NEW CD US $28.73 Buy It Now 23h 4m
Sopy Feliz - Mirna Iris - CD US $10.98 Buy It Now 23h 15m
Historia de una mujer - Mirna Iris - CD US $10.98 Buy It Now 23h 20m
Grupo Arco Iris Del Cusco ?- Si Somos Americanos Somos Hermanos Lp Peru US $45.00 Buy It Now 23h 54m
IRIS ORNIG - NEW GROUND NEW CD US $24.92 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Carly Simon 'Never Been Gone' Iris Records 2009 DIGIPACK SEALED US $0.99 [0 bids]
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Donnie Iris by... US $6.99 [0 bids]
NM RARE FEMALE VOCAL GROUP 45 - TOBY AND IRIS - WHAT I WANT/DING DINGA CUB 9009 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris: World / You're Gonna Miss Me (NM-) 45 rpm US $3.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Dizzy Up the Girl - Goo Goo Dolls (1998 album) Black Balloon, Iris, Slide US $8.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS - POLETOWN (1997) SEATHRU RECORDS CD RARE OOP NEW FACTORY SEALED US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Broken Down Figure [Slipcase] by David Saw (2008, Iris Musique) CD NEW SEALED US $2.75 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS DEMENT THE WAY I SHOULD CD Billy Burnette, Delbert McClinton, Mark Knopfler US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS - The High And The Mighty US $14.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS 1980 HARD ROCK AOR 45 " AH! LEAH ! " ON MCA US $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
The Iris Bell Adventure Live 1969 LP Private Press Psych Folk US $12.99 [0 bids]
IRIS - 1 1984 Electrecord US $24.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris: King Cool LP VG++/NM Canada MCA 5237 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Emmy the Great - Iris - 2 Track US $6.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Dense Vision Shrine - Magic & Mystery CD, Iris Light Records 2002, Rare US $14.99 [0 bids]
GOO GOO DOLLS - LET LOVE IN CD.CONTAINS IRIS. US $2.53 [0 bids]
Iris Williams(7" Vinyl)He Was Beautiful-Columbia-DB 9070-UK-VG+/Ex US $11.80 Buy It Now 1 day
SHOW ME THE WAY TO YOUR HEART/FRANKIE, MY EYES ARE ON YOU - LITTLE IRIS CULMER US $8.99 [0 bids]
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL - IRIS - SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $22.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Around The World In 80 Days Iris Villiers UK 7" vinyl single record LYN506 US $21.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Premium - Quigang Chen: Iris Devoilee [CD New] US $12.93 Buy It Now 1 day
King Cool Donnie Iris UK vinyl LP album record MCF3127 MCA 1981 US $13.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Silk As Her Era / Iris Pellumair 7" vinyl single record UK TUGS036 TUGBOAT US $16.78 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS - Message Of Love (1st Mini Album) KOREA CD *SEALED* K-POP US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sovereign(CD Single)Burn The Iris-Burn The Iris-R2073-Netherlands US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
King Cool by Donnie Iris (Cassette, MCA (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS LOVERIDGE CHOPIN POLONAISE IN A MAJOR & FANTAISIE IMPROMPTU IN C MINOR US $16.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Poletown by Donnie Iris (CD 1997) NEW & SEALED! VERY RARE & LONG OOP! US $12.99 [0 bids]
Arc Iris - Arc Iris (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $38.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Arc Iris - Arc Iris (NEW CD DIGIPACK) US $18.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Plant Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page Jeff Beck Promo Photo IRIS US $25.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Les Iris Palange: 'A Pazza / Storiella Militare - Victor 72348 (Rare) US $5.97 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS 2 DAVICHI MBLAQ BEAST K-DRAMA OST CD + PHOTOBOOK SEALED US $14.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS - Fortune 410 US $14.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS - Back On The Streets - Ex Con LP Record US $16.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Ornig - New Ground [CD New] US $17.19 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS KING COOL LP MCA-5237 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Boyzone RONAN KEATING Iris Made in EUROPE PROMO DJ CD Single 2006 Goo Goo Dolls US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS LAMBERT - JOURNEY TO NOW - NEW SEALED CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris King Of Cool LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: Mascagni IRIS Vernizzi CONCERTGEBOUW 1963 opera US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CITY OF ANGELS Taiwan Promo CD SARAH MCLACHLAN-ANGEL-GOO GOO DOLLS-IRIS-GABREIL US $49.99 [0 bids]
CD: Baden Powell TEMPO DE MUSICA box set IRIS 2006 US $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
QUIGANG CHEN: IRIS DEVOILEE / VARIOUS NEW CD US $18.83 Buy It Now 1 day
ADRIANA GUERRINI Soprano Iris Act 2 / Suor Angelica 12" 78 COLUMBIA DX1651 US $21.93 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS - 1980 - "Back on the Streets" - Debut Promotional Release LP US $7.47 [0 bids]
Stanley And Iris ~ Original Soundtrack (RARE) SEALED (Audio Cassette) US $10.55 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS - 1982 - "The High and the Mighty" - Promotional Release US $7.47 [0 bids]
LOUIS NEEFS iris / blue beat 1968 EP CROONER BLUE EYED SOUL MOD BELTER Spain 7'' US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(DA437) Emmy The Great, Iris - 2011 DJ CD US $4.14 Buy It Now 1 day
ARC IRIS - Arc Iris Rare 11-track Promo CD FREE SHIPPING US $6.49 [0 bids]
SEALED DONNIE IRIS: No Muss No Fuss LP HME RECORDS BFW39949 US 1984  US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Unknown Artist You Are the Rain Iris Gillon The New CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy IRIS music online Buy IRIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IRIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IRIS Crossing The Desert ratings distribution

IRIS Crossing The Desert reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars How I got suckered into buying this one and managed to find another loonie into taking it off my hands (well the loonie is a good friend of mine just into that stuff). Pointless home-made solitary studio doodling . Please do not mention the Marillion connection. Actually , the sheer amount ofd solitary work does command some respect , but unless one is a legend and a genius , one should avoid making or writing an album alone ( this album is the case ,even though there are guests , they had ni input I can detect) because you simply have no second opinion. Of course , you will find other people who will find this good (my loony friend) , I cannot admit such amateur oeuvre , however impeccably played by the musicians.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#3869) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 20, 2004

Review by progrules
3 stars I can be short about this mainly instrumental album: it's a nice one to play if you are trying to get to sleep while playing music. I don't even mean it as an insult. Sometimes I like to sleep with music on the background. This is a good example. It's quite soft stuff without too many sound explosions. There is some melody there but not very significant.

I don't love it and I don't hate it; somewhere in between. So three stars for this one (2.75)

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#139257) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars There are times when I feel so misunderstood , scratching my cranium wondering if I am some kind of wack-job and when I read previous unflattering reviews about an album that I really like , I get even more agitated. Mind you, it took me years to really appreciate Iris' album because I sort took it for granted also and paid scant attention to it, which in turn explains the tepid reviews. I revisited it recently, listening to it very loud as rightly suggested by the liner notes and it blew me away, completely miffed at why I missed this 10 year-old addition to my collection. I guess that I was also guilty of offering only low volume appreciation and I did get it right. Sean Trane and I have opposite views on many prog recordings, with only a few concurring sentiments, so I guess I must be one of those "loonies" he describes so flippantly. Love ya anyway, mate! First off, this is no neo recording as it contains no vocals, no commercially accessible structure and it is not simple fodder either. Just because Ian Mosley and Peter Trewavas play on it, does not mean it's Marillion "sans" Hoggarth. The rhythm tandem has never sounded as tight and as complex as on this recording, both displaying flashes of technical brilliance and unsuspected flair. Sylvain Gouvernaire (formerly of Arrakeen) is in no way a Rothery clone, his style winks at Latimer but mostly nods at Steve Vai or Satriani, while occasionally gently musing like Steve when the tempo becomes atmospheric. That this is a pure technique /noodling fest is correct but the context is phenomenally invigorating.

"Indian Dream" is a subtle, dreamy opening salvo with quirky atmospherics, whispering synths, tic-toc percussion and then, the suddenly shrieking guitar enters the fray. Gouvernaire immediately astonishes with some curvy flourishes, all restraint and infatuation, effectively transmitting the sullen impressions his axe wishes to express. Isn't this what music is all about? Far beyond background music, this piece has juices brimming from every note, with loads of keyboards handled by the guitarist. The final searing solo is truly absurd, desperately seeking out both power and passion. "Train de Vie" gives the bass an opportunity to feverishly develop some dizzying notes, with Mosley bashing firmly in unison, I sort of forgot how good Trewavas can handle (or finger?) the 4 string instrument, while Sylvain roams all over his Tom Anderson electric guitar with energized delirium. This piece veers closely to funk-fusion and would be close to Gongzilla more than anything! The seductive acoustic guitar finale is a clever and timely contrast that impresses . Very nice! "Memory of Eagle" starts off leisurely with some surprising piano work, more robust fretless bass (I am a sucker!), slowly ratcheting up the elegant mood (great orchestral synth backdrops) and waiting for the fretboard to exude some magic. Potent rhythm blasts illuminate the electric path taken by the reserved solo, punctuated by Mosley's sleek and authoritarian drumming, choir effects brilliantly adorning the arrangement. Trewavas weaves (not a bad word association) in and out of the scrimmage with expertise, bowing to the stylish homecoming of the piano. "Top on Top" is a colossal lead guitar showcase, seeking out new supersonic trajectories like a laser guided missile, flirting with stratospheric horizons, nervous yet controlled, this is where the Vai/Satriani hints come to the fore. This is placid, yawn-inducing and boring? The next piece is the acknowledged gem, as "War" is a masterpiece of eloquence and bravura, avidly expressing the gloom, doom and the mortal injustice of conflict, using dark barricades of sad orchestrations, funeral drum beats and out of nowhere an upsurge of melancholic devastation, giving Mosley another opportunity to confirm his mastery, while Gouvernaire flies over the neck of his instrument, ripping, raging, routing, revolting and resounding with impassioned ability. His torpid style is way more aggressive than Rothery or Latimer, sweepingly despondent and urgently irate, conveying instrumentally the horrors of human stupidity. The grandiose piano -led outro clearly brings to mind the quiet after the storm and ultimately the senselessness of it all. The graceful solo is simply heavenly, Wow again! The short "Obsession" serves a welcome respite after all the desolation and despair of the previous conflict. Extremely effect- laden, massively orchestral, the guitar-synth paints abstractions chock full of impressionist contrasts and experimental rebounds, very nice indeed. The 10 minute "Crossing the Desert" is probably the crowning achievement here, a masterfully memorable piano intro that explodes into a resounding vortex of sound right from the get-go, the trio delving deeply into the most effusive soundscapes, howling guitars urging the beleaguered bass and drums, egging them along forcefully. Gouvernaire proves his mettle here again, surely more manic than all his influences combined, meshing grace and fury with ostensible cheek. When the glorious main theme rises from the sands, the bombastic solo is like a feathery mirage full of desperation and thirst. The piano knows when to provide oasis-like comfort and shade, balancing out the contrasts, much like the subject matter (there is nothing on earth as complex and extreme as the desert). In this, the artist demonstrates a vivid understanding of his own inspiration and the ability to formalize it with harmonics and musical architecture. 8 minutes in, the brutal sonic sandstorm is unleashed once again, sudden and overpowering, leaving the cowering listener in thrilled numbness. Exhilarating! How could I have missed this for so long? The precious finale is "Ocean Song", a diminutive farewell full of tender elegance, translucent synth barrages reminiscent of Patrick O'Hearn's work, sumptuous cascades of sound and silence, incredible pacing and quasi-deferential reverence.

What a great instrumental album this is, much maligned, misunderstood, mislabeled and sadly, mis- reviewed. Well the loonie crossed the desert and I have seen the distant light.

4.5 blooming flowers.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#210129) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 04, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Iris is one of the almost forgotten bands from the '90's, and to me is strange, here in PA is low rated like on other prog webs. Is that bad???, for sure no, at least to me. Having a solid line up , 2 members from Marillion, the drumer Ian Mosley and bassist Pete Trewasvas and the main man of the band the guitarist and keybordist from Arakeen Sylvain Gouvernaire. What you expect when you have such musician involved here, a good album, yes, a great album , maybe not in the end but for sure not a bad or boring album as amny pretend to be. The music is all instrumental with various atmospheres from mellow to more up tempo, imagine the instrumental side of Marillion, Gouvernaire guitar sound most of the time like Rothery with some Pink Floyd moments like the title track Crossing The Desert . All in all a fairly good album, that is too unnoticed here, maybe the listners would expect something with more vein , more balls in compositions, not some floydian gitar arrangements melted with neo prog. Some good pieces stands apart here like Train De Vie, Top on top or Memory Of Eagle, that shows Iris had great future but for some resons never made it in this circles. 3 stars for Crossing the desert, not a fantastic release but not a bad one for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#294872) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Iris was a project started in 1992 by guitarist Sylvain Gouvernaire,when he had already moved to England after the disbanding of Neo-Prog band Arrakeen.There he worked with many musicians like Cozy Powell,Clive Nolan (even participated in the Casino project),Mark Kelly but also Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas from Marillion.The last two agreed to play on Sylvain's project ans so the album ''Crossing the desert'' was born in 1996.

Here Sylvain handles all keyboards except the guitars with Trewavas on bass and Mosley on drums.This is a whole instrumental effort based on melodic lines, dreamy soundscapes, virtuosic solos and special effects.The style is quite close to that of ARRAKEEN's, split between keyboard-piano driven mellow passages and guitar-dominated parts with deep emotional content and comes as a cross between Neo Prog and Symphonic Rock with a touch of New Age music.Bands like DOGMA and CHANCE are great reference points.Complexity and power are not absent,a couple of tracks feature great breaks,a pounding rhythm section and challenging guitars.Unfortunately not everything is great.The keyboard work of Gouvernaire is very safe almost hypnotic at moments with an actually supporting than major role,while there are lots of smooth moments that work more as fillers between richer passages rather than as parts of the instrumental project.The production and mix though are absolutely fantastic and help the more demanding moments of the album sound very atmospheric and even bombastic.

Sylvain would return back to France after the recordings and completed a five-piece line-up with double guitars (but without Trewavas or Mosley) to perform the album on stage.He almost immediately begun writing material foe a second Iris release,but for unknown reasons this would never see the light.

Having in mind who are these guys playing on ''Crossing the Desert'',someone would expect a memorable and high-praised release.The album contains plenty of moments of confirming the talent of the trio but also parts with no deep inspiration.Good and recommended album,no more or less.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#549759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011

5 stars Having listened to practically thousands of albums, one could be excused for having come close to saturation point. It's not common that things would easily impress anymore. The seeming profusion of clones has become a rather irritating issue for me. "Crossing the Desert" has hit me as a very ... (read more)

Report this review (#874029) | Posted by BORA | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Iris is Marillion, but with other guitar player. Perhaps, the album sounds really good. Mr. Gouvernaire has a great talent to compose and play the guitar: he creates a fantastic ocean athmosphere ("Ocean Song") and the can make a really hard and emotive prog ("Crossing the Desert"). Some songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#40417) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IRIS "Crossing The Desert "