CROSSING THE DESERT

Buy IRIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Indian Dream (7:55)
2. Train De Vie (4:03)
3. Memory Of Eagle (8:48)
4. Tap On Top (4:35)
5. War (8:10)
6. Obsession (2:04)
7. Crossing The Desert (10:07)
8. Ocean Song (3:39)

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert lyrics

Search IRIS Crossing The Desert tabs

- Sylvain Gouvernaire / guitars, piano, keyboards, and synth, Fretless bass (#3)
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Pete Trewavas / bass
- Tarek Aba´-Chanab / percussion
- Pete Parsons / percussion (#4)
- Susie Luff / voice (#1)

IRIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• War Crossing The Desert , 1996

Buy IRIS Crossing The Desert Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
BlacklightBlacklight
Diffusion Records 2010
GOO GOO DOLLS - GREATEST HITS CD ~ IRIS~SLIDE +++ *NEW* US $12.15 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Donnie Iris "Fortune 410" LP PROMO US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 23m
My Life by Iris DeMent (CD, Mar-1994, Warner Bros.) US $8.95 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Infamous Angel by Iris DeMent (CD, May-1993, Warner Bros.) US $6.50 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Iris-James Horner Soundtrack-2002 Sony! US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
IRIS Chrysalide / Decadence * 7" FRENCH 45 PS MINT 1972 PROG ROCK * LISTEN * US $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 25m
DONNIE IRIS-SHE'S SO EUROPEAN / SOMEBODY 1983 12" MCA REC. PROMO SINGLE VG++ US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Donnie Iris "Fortune 410" PROMO LP US $5.95 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Tom Trago ?- Iris In Dub US $36.79 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Quigang Chen: Iris Devoilee, New Music US $11.13 Buy It Now 8h 7m
ACRO IRIS "BLUE PHEASANT" LP Sealed PRIVATE Psych Garage Rock Record prog fuzz US $34.50 Buy It Now 9h 19m
33- Iris Chacon/ Bobby Valentin / Borinquen 1315 / Exc US $9.99 [0 bids]
10h
33- Iris Chacon " La Vedette De America " / Borinquen 1223 US $8.99 [0 bids]
Breakfast at Midnight by Rita Chiarelli (CD, May-2001, Mad Iris Records) US $9.41 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Computer Magic [EP] by Computer Magic (Vinyl, Dec-2010, White Iris) US $6.06 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Beautiful, Iris Williams, Good Vinyl US $15.43 Buy It Now 10h 50m
King Cool by Donnie Iris (New Cassette, Still Sealed) US $1.99 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Donnie Iris 45 Love Is Like A Rock/Agnes MCA Records 1980 #MCA-51223 US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 8m
"Latin, Cuba, Puerto Rico" "Arco Iris Musical" "Ranchers Y Nortenas" "Rare LP" US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 25m
Picture me Love, Iris Williams, Good Vinyl US $19.62 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Les Plus Belles Chansons de by Antonio Carlos Jobim (CD, Apr-2004, Iris Musique) US $9.95 Buy It Now 15h 57m
XUXA - ILARIE - ARCO IRIS - MEXICAN LP kids spanish US $35.00 Buy It Now 17h 6m
The Lovely Years by Fisher (CD, 2005, Iris Musique) US $9.24 Buy It Now 20h 28m
IRIS FISHER SMITH,CD,The Message is Clear US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 37m
Kenny Tony - Sings Danny Boy And Other Iris NEW CD US $12.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Hot Club Quintet of France by Django Reinhardt (CD, Jan-2003, Iris Musique) US $34.99 [0 bids]
Iris "Appendix Ep" 1993 Alienor 4 song Ep/ French release US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Williams Iris - The Early Recordings NEW CD US $16.71 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS & FRANKLYN RIVERS (Brand new sealed) US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ARCO IRIS - MAĐANA CAMPESTRE (SANTAOLALLA) - RARE - 7"- URUGUAY US $38.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Forgotten Chants And Refrains - Orchestra Iris New & Sealed CD US $14.44 Buy It Now 1 day
ROCK THIS WAY RARE 2 CD John Parr Head East Donnie Iris Vixen Asia Billy Squier US $79.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS "YOU'RE ONLY DREAMING/SAME" MCA 1981 DJ VG+ HEAR!! US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS "TOUGH WORLD" 45 PS US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris and The Cruisers KING COOL LP - EX 1981 MCA RECORDS MCA-5237 US $12.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris BACK ON THE STREETS LP - EX 1980 MCA RECORDS MCA-3272 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ben Taylor Deeper Than Gravity CD Iris Records US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris / Swirlies : Vents Of The Ocean Floor (Bubble Core 7") US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Devoilee/+ - Yo-yo Ma New & Sealed CD US $16.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Chacon-Am I A Tease? 12" LATIN FREESTYLE RARE -MP3- US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ronan Keating iris 1 track promo cd single boyzone US $1.66 [0 bids]
Boyzone RONAN KEATING Iris CD single w/ LIVE When you say Nothing GOO DOLLS US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mascagni - Iris - Gianandrea Gavazzeni (2 CD Set) - Pietro Mascagni [Composer].. US $27.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Questa / Mascagni: Iris - Olivero; Puma; Meletti; Pietro Mascagni [Performer];.. US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
IRIS WILLIAMS JUST FOR YOU INCL TITLE TRACK AND YOU ARE MY LIFE VINYL LP US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris - Film Soundtrack - 2001 Oscar-submission CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Robert Plant Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page Jeff Beck Promo Photo IRIS US $33.46 Buy It Now 1 day
McDONALDS "MENU MUSIC CHANT" 7" 45 E.P. TERRI GIBBS DONNIE IRIS RUFUS ONE WAY US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bearded Iris Flower Garden Portrait Matted Art Print - 5 in x 7 in Design - 8 i US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Infamous Angel Iris Dement CD US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Arco Iris - Peace Pipes - Great NM LP US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FIVE STAR IRIS - LIVE FOOLS CD - ACOUSTIC - 2007 - HOOPTYVILLE AUTOGRAPHED US $3.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Donnie Iris-King Cool-MCA 5237 W/Insert Lp US $6.36 Buy It Now 1 day
ST.GERMAIN,'MAUREEN J. - LA MEDITACIAN DEL ARCO IRIS DE ANGELS [CD NEW] US $46.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Iris Williams-"Picture Me Love" LP VG+/VG+ British pressing US $5.00 [0 bids]
IRIS CIRQUE DU SOLEIL Original Soundtrack As New CD Music by DANNY ELFMAN US $12.15 [0 bids]
VG+ MCDONALD'S MENU MUSIC CHANT TERRI GIBBS DONNIE IRIS ONE WAY RUFUS PROMO!!! US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DONNIE IRIS BACK ON THE STREETS LP 586 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Roger Vignoles, Iris Oja , Audio CD, Rachmaninov, Shostakovich: Songs US $10.97 Buy It Now 2 days
?? IRIS ?- Chrysalide French Progressive Psych Pop Rock NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW - Iris by Granny's Goodies US $3.42 Buy It Now 2 days
GOO GOO DOLLS Iris LIMITED Numbered CD MUSIC GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED DISPLAY!! US $83.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris: Cirque Du Soleil, , Soundtrack US $11.49 Buy It Now 2 days
10 YEARS Through The Iris RADIO PROMO DJ CD Single 2006 US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS DEMENT - MY LIFE [IRIS DEMENT] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
IRIS WILLIAMS - HE WAS BEAUTIFUL (CAVATINA) - 7" VINYL 1979 COLUMBIA US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS- LOVE IS LIKE A ROCK/ AGNES 45 RPM SINGLE US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS Live '81 DJ only promo WLP w "Ah, Leah" Jaggerz Wild Cherry M- LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS-THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY NEW SEALED vinyl LP US $15.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Hydra Iris CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GOO GOO DOLLS - IRIS UK RARE MAXI CD SINGLE W/RARE B-SIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS "LOVE IS LIKE A ROCK" / "AGNUS" 7" 45 PITTSBURGH NATIVE US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS THE RAPPER MCA 45 1981 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Crazy Rhythm by Django Reinhardt (CD, May-2003, 2 Discs, Iris Musique) US $5.99 [1 bids]
IRIS Now That I Found You 12" single Xtreme Records XTR-821-A (2000) promo US $6.64 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS CHACON s/t LATIN LP Shrink BORINQUEN US $8.99 [1 bids]
IRIS CHACON Yo Soy LATIN LP BORINQUEN US $8.99 [0 bids]
Vertical Iris, Various Artists, New US $6.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Iris May Tango Let Em Have It CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
IRIS Y FRANKLYN s/t IMPORT LATIN LP KAREN US $5.00 [0 bids]
ARCO IRIS Blues De Dana GROOVE 80020 ARG ROCK LP 1987 GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA 1970 US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Famous Among the Barns by Ben Taylor (Singer/Songwriter) (CD, Feb-2003, Iris... US $5.00 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS/state of the heart/1985 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DONNIE IRIS/this time it must love/1983 white label promo 45 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Seven Brides Iris (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GLEN IRIS Round and Round lp 140 gram album indie riff grunge psyche cd included US $6.99 [0 bids]
IRIS DeMENT - "The Way I Should" - Country US $3.99 [0 bids]
Iris "Wrath" CD The Alpha Conspiracy Dark Synthpop Electro IDM US $4.00 [0 bids]
BLANCA IRIS VILLAFANE CON YOMO TORO Y SU CONJUNTO / LP RECORD/ EXCELLENT US $19.95 Buy It Now 3 days
? Donnie Iris - Live at The Paradise (of The Jaggerz) (P) (with "The Rapper") US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MASCAGNI IRIS OLIVERO PUMA NERI ORIG 3-LP PRIVATE PRESS BOX SET US $24.99 [0 bids]
DONNIE IRIS LP "King Cool" w/lyrics 1981 NM US $8.76 Buy It Now 3 days
My Life ~ Dement, Iris CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
(CL862) Ronan Keating, Iris - 2006 DJ CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Arco Iris - Colorcube - FREEPOST RARE DIGIPAK 13 Trk CD US $12.61 Buy It Now 3 days
DONNIE IRIS/king cool/1981 lp US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sing the Delta * by Iris DeMent (Vinyl, Oct-2012, FlariElla Records) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Never Been Gone [Digipak] by Carly Simon (CD, Oct-2009, Iris Musique) US $5.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Premiers Succes by Chico Buarque (CD, Iris Musique / Globo) US $8.86 [0 bids]
Iris - Die abenteuerliche Reise ins GlŘck (DVD) US $36.77 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy IRIS music online Buy IRIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IRIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IRIS Crossing The Desert ratings distribution

IRIS Crossing The Desert reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars How I got suckered into buying this one and managed to find another loonie into taking it off my hands (well the loonie is a good friend of mine just into that stuff). Pointless home-made solitary studio doodling . Please do not mention the Marillion connection. Actually , the sheer amount ofd solitary work does command some respect , but unless one is a legend and a genius , one should avoid making or writing an album alone ( this album is the case ,even though there are guests , they had ni input I can detect) because you simply have no second opinion. Of course , you will find other people who will find this good (my loony friend) , I cannot admit such amateur oeuvre , however impeccably played by the musicians.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#3869) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 20, 2004

Review by progrules
3 stars I can be short about this mainly instrumental album: it's a nice one to play if you are trying to get to sleep while playing music. I don't even mean it as an insult. Sometimes I like to sleep with music on the background. This is a good example. It's quite soft stuff without too many sound explosions. There is some melody there but not very significant.

I don't love it and I don't hate it; somewhere in between. So three stars for this one (2.75)

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#139257) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars There are times when I feel so misunderstood , scratching my cranium wondering if I am some kind of wack-job and when I read previous unflattering reviews about an album that I really like , I get even more agitated. Mind you, it took me years to really appreciate Iris' album because I sort took it for granted also and paid scant attention to it, which in turn explains the tepid reviews. I revisited it recently, listening to it very loud as rightly suggested by the liner notes and it blew me away, completely miffed at why I missed this 10 year-old addition to my collection. I guess that I was also guilty of offering only low volume appreciation and I did get it right. Sean Trane and I have opposite views on many prog recordings, with only a few concurring sentiments, so I guess I must be one of those "loonies" he describes so flippantly. Love ya anyway, mate! First off, this is no neo recording as it contains no vocals, no commercially accessible structure and it is not simple fodder either. Just because Ian Mosley and Peter Trewavas play on it, does not mean it's Marillion "sans" Hoggarth. The rhythm tandem has never sounded as tight and as complex as on this recording, both displaying flashes of technical brilliance and unsuspected flair. Sylvain Gouvernaire (formerly of Arrakeen) is in no way a Rothery clone, his style winks at Latimer but mostly nods at Steve Vai or Satriani, while occasionally gently musing like Steve when the tempo becomes atmospheric. That this is a pure technique /noodling fest is correct but the context is phenomenally invigorating.

"Indian Dream" is a subtle, dreamy opening salvo with quirky atmospherics, whispering synths, tic-toc percussion and then, the suddenly shrieking guitar enters the fray. Gouvernaire immediately astonishes with some curvy flourishes, all restraint and infatuation, effectively transmitting the sullen impressions his axe wishes to express. Isn't this what music is all about? Far beyond background music, this piece has juices brimming from every note, with loads of keyboards handled by the guitarist. The final searing solo is truly absurd, desperately seeking out both power and passion. "Train de Vie" gives the bass an opportunity to feverishly develop some dizzying notes, with Mosley bashing firmly in unison, I sort of forgot how good Trewavas can handle (or finger?) the 4 string instrument, while Sylvain roams all over his Tom Anderson electric guitar with energized delirium. This piece veers closely to funk-fusion and would be close to Gongzilla more than anything! The seductive acoustic guitar finale is a clever and timely contrast that impresses . Very nice! "Memory of Eagle" starts off leisurely with some surprising piano work, more robust fretless bass (I am a sucker!), slowly ratcheting up the elegant mood (great orchestral synth backdrops) and waiting for the fretboard to exude some magic. Potent rhythm blasts illuminate the electric path taken by the reserved solo, punctuated by Mosley's sleek and authoritarian drumming, choir effects brilliantly adorning the arrangement. Trewavas weaves (not a bad word association) in and out of the scrimmage with expertise, bowing to the stylish homecoming of the piano. "Top on Top" is a colossal lead guitar showcase, seeking out new supersonic trajectories like a laser guided missile, flirting with stratospheric horizons, nervous yet controlled, this is where the Vai/Satriani hints come to the fore. This is placid, yawn-inducing and boring? The next piece is the acknowledged gem, as "War" is a masterpiece of eloquence and bravura, avidly expressing the gloom, doom and the mortal injustice of conflict, using dark barricades of sad orchestrations, funeral drum beats and out of nowhere an upsurge of melancholic devastation, giving Mosley another opportunity to confirm his mastery, while Gouvernaire flies over the neck of his instrument, ripping, raging, routing, revolting and resounding with impassioned ability. His torpid style is way more aggressive than Rothery or Latimer, sweepingly despondent and urgently irate, conveying instrumentally the horrors of human stupidity. The grandiose piano -led outro clearly brings to mind the quiet after the storm and ultimately the senselessness of it all. The graceful solo is simply heavenly, Wow again! The short "Obsession" serves a welcome respite after all the desolation and despair of the previous conflict. Extremely effect- laden, massively orchestral, the guitar-synth paints abstractions chock full of impressionist contrasts and experimental rebounds, very nice indeed. The 10 minute "Crossing the Desert" is probably the crowning achievement here, a masterfully memorable piano intro that explodes into a resounding vortex of sound right from the get-go, the trio delving deeply into the most effusive soundscapes, howling guitars urging the beleaguered bass and drums, egging them along forcefully. Gouvernaire proves his mettle here again, surely more manic than all his influences combined, meshing grace and fury with ostensible cheek. When the glorious main theme rises from the sands, the bombastic solo is like a feathery mirage full of desperation and thirst. The piano knows when to provide oasis-like comfort and shade, balancing out the contrasts, much like the subject matter (there is nothing on earth as complex and extreme as the desert). In this, the artist demonstrates a vivid understanding of his own inspiration and the ability to formalize it with harmonics and musical architecture. 8 minutes in, the brutal sonic sandstorm is unleashed once again, sudden and overpowering, leaving the cowering listener in thrilled numbness. Exhilarating! How could I have missed this for so long? The precious finale is "Ocean Song", a diminutive farewell full of tender elegance, translucent synth barrages reminiscent of Patrick O'Hearn's work, sumptuous cascades of sound and silence, incredible pacing and quasi-deferential reverence.

What a great instrumental album this is, much maligned, misunderstood, mislabeled and sadly, mis- reviewed. Well the loonie crossed the desert and I have seen the distant light.

4.5 blooming flowers.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#210129) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 04, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Iris is one of the almost forgotten bands from the '90's, and to me is strange, here in PA is low rated like on other prog webs. Is that bad???, for sure no, at least to me. Having a solid line up , 2 members from Marillion, the drumer Ian Mosley and bassist Pete Trewasvas and the main man of the band the guitarist and keybordist from Arakeen Sylvain Gouvernaire. What you expect when you have such musician involved here, a good album, yes, a great album , maybe not in the end but for sure not a bad or boring album as amny pretend to be. The music is all instrumental with various atmospheres from mellow to more up tempo, imagine the instrumental side of Marillion, Gouvernaire guitar sound most of the time like Rothery with some Pink Floyd moments like the title track Crossing The Desert . All in all a fairly good album, that is too unnoticed here, maybe the listners would expect something with more vein , more balls in compositions, not some floydian gitar arrangements melted with neo prog. Some good pieces stands apart here like Train De Vie, Top on top or Memory Of Eagle, that shows Iris had great future but for some resons never made it in this circles. 3 stars for Crossing the desert, not a fantastic release but not a bad one for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#294872) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Iris was a project started in 1992 by guitarist Sylvain Gouvernaire,when he had already moved to England after the disbanding of Neo-Prog band Arrakeen.There he worked with many musicians like Cozy Powell,Clive Nolan (even participated in the Casino project),Mark Kelly but also Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas from Marillion.The last two agreed to play on Sylvain's project ans so the album ''Crossing the desert'' was born in 1996.

Here Sylvain handles all keyboards except the guitars with Trewavas on bass and Mosley on drums.This is a whole instrumental effort based on melodic lines, dreamy soundscapes, virtuosic solos and special effects.The style is quite close to that of ARRAKEEN's, split between keyboard-piano driven mellow passages and guitar-dominated parts with deep emotional content and comes as a cross between Neo Prog and Symphonic Rock with a touch of New Age music.Bands like DOGMA and CHANCE are great reference points.Complexity and power are not absent,a couple of tracks feature great breaks,a pounding rhythm section and challenging guitars.Unfortunately not everything is great.The keyboard work of Gouvernaire is very safe almost hypnotic at moments with an actually supporting than major role,while there are lots of smooth moments that work more as fillers between richer passages rather than as parts of the instrumental project.The production and mix though are absolutely fantastic and help the more demanding moments of the album sound very atmospheric and even bombastic.

Sylvain would return back to France after the recordings and completed a five-piece line-up with double guitars (but without Trewavas or Mosley) to perform the album on stage.He almost immediately begun writing material foe a second Iris release,but for unknown reasons this would never see the light.

Having in mind who are these guys playing on ''Crossing the Desert'',someone would expect a memorable and high-praised release.The album contains plenty of moments of confirming the talent of the trio but also parts with no deep inspiration.Good and recommended album,no more or less.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#549759) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011

5 stars Having listened to practically thousands of albums, one could be excused for having come close to saturation point. It's not common that things would easily impress anymore. The seeming profusion of clones has become a rather irritating issue for me. "Crossing the Desert" has hit me as a very ... (read more)

Report this review (#874029) | Posted by BORA | Sunday, December 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Iris is Marillion, but with other guitar player. Perhaps, the album sounds really good. Mr. Gouvernaire has a great talent to compose and play the guitar: he creates a fantastic ocean athmosphere ("Ocean Song") and the can make a really hard and emotive prog ("Crossing the Desert"). Some songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#40417) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, July 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IRIS "Crossing The Desert "