Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

5 stars Thick As A Brick: an album of one song and possibly THE best album of all time!

I first heard this album 30 odd years ago in my teens and have loved it from that time. TAAB is a truly magical experience. This epic song has a great diversity of musical moods throughout its full length: great melodies; great rocking moments; Ian Anderson's infectious flute work; the infusion of traditional 'folk' instruments. For over 40 minutes of music there is no filler whatsoever and the transitions between the many and varied passages are seamless. The lyrics are quite comical at times, a musical interpretation of a poem, although I am not sure to this day what the the real story in the words is . but that doesn't matter because they fit the music brilliantly. (What we do know is that TAAB was JT's attempt to mock the very concept of concept albums after the previous JT release, Aqualung, was branded as a concept album by the musical press.)

As a listener I enjoy every minute of TAAB, each and every time I listen to the album. I have also been involved in Community Radio in small towns of Outback Australia for a few years, and as I have left one place to go to another my parting gift to the stations' listeners as been playing TAAB in its entirety, so prominent is this album's position on my musical radar.

For those lucky enough to have a copy of the LP with its original newspaper style packaging look after it; I am sure its value will increase in years to come. (I rarely get the LP out these days to minimise the possibility of damage to the cover.)

To my mind this is the most essential of all progressive rock albums! If you don't own it, add it to whatever wish list will get a copy of TAAB into your collection. You will not be disappointed.

Perfect! It's a shame there is nothing higher than five stars to be given out, so 5 out of 5 it will have to be!

T.Rox | 5/5 |