Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

5 stars Nursery Cryme is the first Peter Gabriel era Genesis album I listened more than 10 years ago. After having listened only to pop-rock era Genesis, Nursery Cryme was the most pleasant surprise, the album totally blew me away. It's one of the greatest, best things I have ever heard. The Musical Box is one of the most impressive songs ever; I didn't know (when I first listened to it) that Collins could play drums so brilliantly. Hackett's solos all over the album are simply amazing, outstanding (I'm lacking superlatives to describe his guitar playing on The Musical Box, Fountain of Salmacis or The Return of the Giant Hogweed). Tony Banks superlatively plays piano, mellotron and organ. Another thing I didn't know at first was that Rutherford was/is such a great bass player. Last but not least, Peter Gabriel deserves being called "the Voice" of prog.

My favourite songs are The Music Box, Seven Stones, Fountain of Salmacis and Return of the Giant Hogweed; not that the others arn't good, but the mentioned above songs are masterpieces of prog, music at its best.

The Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums are "easy" to be reviewed, one word is enough:masterpiece(s).

Cristi | 5/5 |