Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

5 stars After having listened, enjoyed and loved Nursery Cryme, I wanted more so I bought Selling England By the Pound. Another masterpiece in my humble opinion, one of my favourite progressive rock albums. You 've got to be overpretentious not to be able to enjoy this album. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is a prog-rock masterpiece, brilliantly performed by all members of the band (a collective effort); I Know What Like is a moreaccessible song - nice keyboards and flute on this one. Firth of Filth is the second masterpiece, clearly a collectiveeffort like the album opener - great guitar work, awesome piano and keyboards, very good drumming and last but not least great vocals and amazing flute playing (IMHO). More Fool Me is a short track, performed with acoustic guitars and vocals from Phil Collins. I've never considered this song as disposable or filler, it's quite an enjoyable song. The Battle of Epping Forest is indeed a bit too long - I personally enjoy it because I like the keyboards. I agree to the idea that more guitar would have made the song even better. After the Ordeal is a great instrumental, with an amazing (musical) interaction between Banks and Hackett. Another favourite of mine is the Cinema Show - outstanding keyboards work from Tony Banks. Aisle of Plenty is kind of a conclusion being a reprise of Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. All these being said, I warmly and highly recommend this album to all prog-rock listeners/fans; this album is a Must Have to any progressive rock collection.
Cristi | 5/5 |