Deep Purple - Burn CD (album) cover

BURN

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

Menswear
4 stars Kick in the Nards.

That's exactly how I felt when I listened to Burn the first time (with appropriate volume of course). I immediately checked after if I wetted myself. A hurricane of ballsy vocals, a tornado of drums, a typhoon of guitars arpeggios..well, you get the idea. That's what I call a powerful record, with a standing ovation to the title track who will break your spine with air guitaring.

Especially for Yngwie Malmsteen, who's career is to replicate this album over and over, this must have been a revelation with the 4 horsemen howling in a cloud of 3D fire. I cannot express more how a vintage band like this one could move me that much. I always thought that the Zep was above because of all the timeless songs we know from them, but Blackmood, Paice and Coverdale are all- out in a war with no prisonners. Dang it, this is an anthem to every metal that came after (hello Maiden). They didn't knew it at the time, but they created an ear scorcher right here.

Anyhow, a record that starts extremely strong (like many Purple records) and tangents to blues-rock, but this time the writing is well inspired for most of the record.

I discovered the grandfathers of what I love way too late.

Menswear | 4/5 |