Robert Fripp - God Save the Queen / Under Heavy Manners CD (album) cover

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN / UNDER HEAVY MANNERS

Robert Fripp

admireArt
5 stars Underrated falls short. A masterpiece from A to Z. The year 1980, the mass arising of drum-box generated music was just to start; of course the electronic prog pioneers were well established by the time, but this was the future. Like it or not, and all the "Giants" surrendered to these boxes. I can mention 1000s of horrible attempts by the top-guns of the electronic genre (and others), they never exactly knew what to do with this boxes and the music tthey suggested. And sadly a lot are still there trying to figure it out, but their past works are my personal soundtrack, so I won't attack!

To me Mr Frippīs first solo effort (Exposure) was a way of "exiling" himself away from the Court of the Crimson King; more like a " I do what I like and I donīt care if you like it! (Punk if you wish, 1980, I repeat). But at the end of that record we are given a clue to what was really cooking; in Mr Frippīs up-coming musical language. The still going *Frippertronics styling (at least until his last cd with this language.)

UNDER HEAVY MANNERS / GOD SAVE THE QUEEN! Track 1: A bridge between the first project (Exposure) and this one (including the Talking Headīs master "Head" screaming-singing like to whatever word that ends with -ism) , track 2: Fast tranced-dance pioneer,( if not the first ), that dissolves into the world of Frippertronics (Track 3 to 6). *(Frippertronics:Technically speaking the use of loops of pre-recorded and live recorded electric guitars, sometimes creating a droning experience, by repetition or structured melodic lines) This is the "King" himself, back in form to explore this future and he delivered this gem. Mostly processed electric solo guitar far opposite to what was happening at the time. Imagine somewhat between TDīs early eerie synth "atmospheres" and the electrifying droning of different guitar signals, sounding as nothing like TD (no synths) and a lot like only this genius could sound.

Somehow I've found that die-hard "Crimsons" are the main detractors of this work. Just let yourself go, the music will do the rest. *****5 Stars without blinking.

PD; the original vinyl starts with "Under Heavy Manners" end with "1983". So the next record "Let the Power Fall" will start of properly with "1984".

admireArt | 5/5 |