Deep Purple - Stormbringer CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

voliveira
4 stars 7/10

A low score here on the site sold me for a while, but I do not know if it's my euphoria post-Burn or a simple transgression to my damn habit of being biased sometimes, but I really enjoyed Stormbringer. It is hardly interesting as its predecessor (and I think no other band album could be), but is a decent candidate to 4 stars.

Although Ritchie Blackmore dislike of funk and soul influences more evident here than in Burn - this being the reason why the DP came out in 1975 - I am particularly attracted. Funk and soul are genres that show very low, and Glenn Hughes has the chance to shine, either on vocals or providing support to the overall sound. Blackmore could be about to leave, but is still a master of his instrument, and I must emphasize how much he uses slide guitar here - Holy Man in until it seems like Steve Howe who's playing guitar! Ian Paice continues to give a concert on drums and David Coverdale ... good, it's just David Coverdale.

4 stars!