Six Magics - Falling Angels CD (album) cover

FALLING ANGELS

Six Magics

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars This band from Chile is quite interesting. This album had been in my Spotify lists for quite a while, and the attractive artwork finally compelled me to give it a listen. Honestly, I almost turned it off after the first couple minutes: the female vocals are quite strange, and I really did not like them. In fact, I didn't realize it was a female for a few songs! However, something keep me listening.

I'm glad I kept listening, for this band is very talented. After a few songs, I started to appreciate the vocals---they are certainly unique: almost growling at times. Besides the female vocals, there are some monastic interludes that remind me of some of Symphony X's earlier work. In fact, I couldn't shake the Symphony X connection the entire album, although they admittedly don't really sound very much alike. On the instrumental side of things, the band really impresses with a nice metal mix of fast and furious drumming, soaring guitar work, and some really special keyboard work that comes in now and then. In fact, the keyboards kept me listening: they are unique and quite catching.

There is nothing overtly new or revolutionary here, but Six Magics has crafted a great album that is worthy of any progressive metal collection. The album takes some serious and compelling turns once or twice, and this keeps things interesting. I will certainly be listening to this album quite a few more times.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |