The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot CD (album) cover

The Alan Parsons Project

The Mystical
3 stars Very colourful album.

What strikes me about this album, is the way it successfully manages to combine so many elements from different genres of music. This makes the album a rather colourful and intricate listening experience, and gives it a certain charm. The album is incredibly retro, yet the synth passages seem to still hold a futuristic appeal, which is quite perfect considering that the album is based upon Isaac Asimov's "I Robot".

I listened to "I Robot" after I read a review on it and found a secondhand copy of it on CD for $1 two weeks later. After listening to it I was left impressed. About a month later, I found a copy on vinyl for $3 and bought it. I have been listening to the album on and off for 2 months now. The album is jazz/funk infused and contains elements of 70s soul and electronica. It is a pleasant listen, but it does demand at least a bit of attention. The key tracks for me, are "I Robot", "Nucleus", and the beautiful "Day After Day".

I recommend this album to anyone looking for a retro progressive rock experience. 3.5 stars.

☮ Peace! ☮