Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) CD (album) cover

THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING (AND OTHER STORIES)

Steven Wilson

Vellevold
5 stars Steven Wilson never ceases to amaze me. This time he have topped himself again, and I love the direction he has taken on this album. It is clear that it draws inspiration from jazz-fusion, and many of the musicians on this album have background from that genre. The musicians are extremely talented, and it is unfair to single out one, but Marco Minnemann has alway been a favorite of mine. On this album he really shows his diversity and what an impeccable drummer he is. It is Mr. Wilson though, who is the brain behind all of this, and it is great seeing him compose this complex, but still beautiful music. He has said that he made music which he himself was not able to play, but that the fantastic band behind were able to.

In my ears the first two tracks and the two last are as good as it gets. The Holy Drinker and The Pin Drop are not at that level but still very enjoyable. I especially love the obvious influence from Genesis on The Watchmaker and the haunting atmosphere and beautiful outro of the title track. Speaking of the title track, I have to say that it is one the most beautiful tracks I have heard in a long time. When Wilson and his tremolo guitar joins in near the end I can feel it in my whole body.

Alan Parsons should also get a standing ovation for his engineering. The sound of the album is fantastic, and the fact that they recorded it all live together gives it more feeling in my ears.

A well deserved 5-star rating, and already a great contender for my pick as album of the year. It will certainly be hard to top this amazing album.

Vellevold | 5/5 |