Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway CD (album) cover

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY

Genesis

4.28 | 1940 ratings

wehpanzer
3 stars Genesis's double album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is considered by many to be an epic tour de force. I'm sorry, But I just don't get it like that. There are a few of the songs that I think are excellent, the musicianship overall is excellent, but the story to me is convoluted and the production is poor.

This time, instead of true collaboration, we have Tony, Mike, Steve and Phil writing the music (except for counting out time - done by Peter) and Peter writing the lyrics (except on The Light Dies Down on Broadway - written by Tony and Mike because of time constraints). To me, this weakens the whole album. There are a number of songs that, if we could just hear the instruments sans vocals, we could appreciate even more but what we get is too dense, which makes for an uncomfortable listen.

As I mentioned, there are some incredible songs on here: The title track, In the Cage, Back in NYC, Counting Out Time, Carpet Crawlers, Colony of Slippermen, It. These all stack up well against all of the other Genesis songs. However, there is an incredible amount of filler, which to me weakens the album without developing the story in a meaningful way, not that it is easy to keep up with the story any way.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, the production is incredibly muddled, the bass is lost, and the guitar is underused, and practically unheard. All in all, an uneven effort by Genesis, although some consider this their masterpiece. I don't but it is still a meaningful album in prog history.

wehpanzer | 3/5 |