Deep Purple - Purpendicular CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

voliveira
5 stars 8.5/10

This is their best album in twenty-two years.

And once again Blackmore left for reasons of ego. In its place came Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Steve Morse Band), and what can I say? This is one change that benefits everyone, the band's sound to the listener! Morse playing style is fresh and inventive, and hearing it is possible to notice here because it is considered one of the best guitarists in the rock world.

Imagine an album where while that is evoked the classic sound of the band are also presented new sounds. This is Purpendicular. Songs like The Aviator (my favorite here) are unprecedented in the band's discography. Even the blues rock (performed here in fantastic The Purpendicular Waltz) seems to be revisited here. Everything is going right here: even the voice of Gillian, with which I felt uncomfortable on previous albums, seems to work well here (he even gives some sharp as he did in the past, as the band Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming). But obviously all credit goes to Steve: it is he who renews band, in my opinion.

I am so charmed by this album that I can not hesitate to give it five stars. When I found that Deep Purple could never achieve its glory days, I am surprised with this fantastic work.

voliveira | 5/5 |