La Maschera Di Cera - Le Porte Del Domani CD (album) cover

La Maschera Di Cera

Rock Progressivo Italiano

5 stars …xito!

Giving a little brother to (maybe) the pinnacle of Italian Prog could be a suicide if not done well. But if it succeeds, you definitely have a major gold star on your resumť. I mean, who would like to risk something like this? Ian Anderson did it last year (Brick 2) with great honor I might add, but Eloy (Ocean 2) and Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells sequels) failed big time. Did the Mask of Wax delivered a sequel to Felona E Sorona?

Well I'll be damned, they nailed it!

And they did not butchered anything from Le Orme's legendary album by recycling melodies or textures, they simply continued the story adding their personnal touch, not too far from what Le Orme gave us almost 40 years ago. The spacey theme of Felona E Sorona is still very present, with even more intensity though. Oh yeah, this is one intense record with grasping vocals and a keyboard palette to die for. I give a special round of applause to Agostino Macor with his impressive arsenal of vintage sounds that kickstarts the album and rides with you until the bombastic finale that resonnates like a space battle. The mellotron has been VERY present in the prog world, many times used for nothing. The mellotron is a dream machine, and the purpose of it's use is to create symphonic grandeur and majesty. I frankly cannot recall when it's been as wisely used as in this record. The mellotron here gives real dimension to the whole thing, creating a true choir of majestic images. Perfect.

My big favorite in this early year and a spectacular show of what La Maschera can do. These guys just passed the test: they are now one of the Greats.

Maravilloso disco! Grazi Mille!

Menswear | 5/5 |