Marillion - Seasons End CD (album) cover

SEASONS END

Marillion

thwok
4 stars This is possibly my favorite Marillion album, although I definitely haven't heard all the albums with Hogarth. I've used the opinions of my fellow PA reviewers as a guide to Marillion's catalogue, so I should thank all of you! My rating for Season's End is 4 1/2 stars; this is definitely a top 5 Marillion album for me.

The relative merits of Fish vs. Hogarth are not a decisive factor for me. I do sing in a church choir, and I'm a sucker for singers who can really sing. A friend tried for a long time to convert me to a Smashing Pumpkins fan, for instance, but I just couldn't get past Billy Corgan's voice! At times, I do find Fish's singing overwrought. I believe Hogarth uses his voice better, but I like Marillion albums from both eras.

Season's End contains some of Marillion's best melodies. Favorite tracks include Easter and Holloway Girl. They are both just beautiful and moving, in different ways. I also love The King of Sunset Town and the title track. Let's call Hooks in You a necessary evil. Hogarth is an excellent lyricist. However, I think it's the songwriting and arrangements that make Season's End one of Marillion's best.

thwok | 4/5 |