Klaus Schulze - Shadowlands CD (album) cover

SHADOWLANDS

Klaus Schulze

Progressive Electronic

admireArt
4 stars As many of the founders of this category; KLAUS SCHULZE has such a vast discography (with not "ALL" of those works; being exactly "Pearls"); that it is easy to get something which is not to ones own likings (how elegant ) or overlook some other excellent work. I guess that is why Progarchives is so attractive. Also sometimes it saves me a lot of time & money, understanding of course that all judgements passed are as subjective; as who you are. So we all have to draw our own conclussions; at the end of the day. . Well if you like Schulzes´s better days recovered in works like "In Blue" or the work done with (Death Can Dance; vocalist/composer)) Lisa Gerrard. "SHADOWLANDS" is in the same route and concept; (the usual, in fact) of long timed environmental compositions.

Why name "In Blue" in reference to this work? This work takes the same sinous, hypnotic and music free-flowing directions found in that album, but here there is less electronic- pulse/processes, this one tends more to the minimal, more towards simplicity (without silly "riffs" or "catchy" melody progressions; which sometimes Mr Schulze loves to abuse). And why the reference to his works with Lisa Gerrard? As those, this work also moves closer to "Sonic-Ambients", a field Mr. Schulze, also knows by heart.

With intelligent; slow paced compositions, varying his atmospheres as not to sound too "synth-full", and I suppose also, as a more experienced composer, as to avoid unnecessary ornamentations, a more clear to the his goal in the song writing, and of course overall, greatly achieved results.

**** 4 "excellent electronic/ambient work;... we were long overdue!"

admireArt | 4/5 |