Jade Warrior - Waves CD (album) cover

WAVES

Jade Warrior

Psychedelic/Space Rock

GruvanDahlman
3 stars I listened again to this album the other morning. Me and my fourteen month old son enjoyed our brekafast as the sun shone in throug our window and the world suddenly seemed so incredibly beautiful. Waves is a beautiful album, there is no doubt about it. The gentleness and relaxing mood (dare I say ambient?) is quite breathtaking. Someone compared it to Camel's Nude and to some extent I do agree.

There are several sections in here that gets my attention, with beautiful flute and at times a biting electric guitar, especially in the second part which, as others said before, is more in the realm of fusion. At least that is true in parts. The whole of the album is more of a gentle exercise in mellowness and ambiance, a british excursion into the worlds beyond our own european existance. There are, as evident by the cover, asian influences on Waves, which are very relaxing.

Though beautiful and relaxing I can't help but feel it is more pleasant than anything. Great as it is, still it is merely pleasant. That should not, however, deter anyone from listening to the album. I promise you, it will be a listening experience you'll enjoy if you care for relaxing music. It may seem like a contradiction giving it only three stars then but that is the thing, though I love listening to Waves it becomes the soundtrack of the moment. Not that much remains, besides the feeling of pleasantness. (Is that even a word?)

Conclusion: Waves is a great piece of music. Relaxing, gentle and calming. Still, it's good for the moment but fails to capture my imagination for any longer period of time. Still I will never sell my copy. It is a precious piece of plastic I really enjoy.

GruvanDahlman | 3/5 |