Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) CD (album) cover

Steven Wilson

3 stars Like Grace for Drowning, The Raven that Refused to sing finds Steven Wilson exploring a range of old-school prog textures and sounds, but this time around I think I can detect a few more influences creeping in from Porcupine Tree's indie rock-influenced phase (the triptych of Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Recordings), particularly on the plaintive (but overlong and kind of irritating) Drive Home. The sessions were engineered by Alan Parsons, but I don't really feel that this adds much to the album - Wilson's projects are usually impeccably engineered whatever name they issue under and I'm inclined to wonder whether Parsons' involvement is solely for the nostalgia-baiting name recognition factor - but the album itself nicely develops on Grace for Drowning, mellowing its King Crimson-esque fusion jam sessions with more tranquil and gentle phases. I don't think it's the glorious pillar of modern prog some paint it as, but it's not awful - just kind of, well, there.
Warthur | 3/5 |