Karfagen - Continium CD (album) cover

erik neuteboom
3 stars Fellow collaborator Eugne just told me how hard it is get their CD's in their own country, that's a pity because this band deserves more attention! Two members of Karfagen are playing keyboards, they deliver a wonderful sound: very lush with great samples like tin- whistle, accordion and in some tracks the unsurpassed Mellotron (violin, flute and the majestic choir-section). The 10 compositions sound melodic and harmonic featuring surprising musical ideas like a piece with romantic piano (All The Time I Think About You), a dreamy song with jazzy guitar (Muse) and a track with piano and cello (Close To Heaven). Other compositions are in the symphonic prog tradition with lots of variety, strong build- ups and great 'grand finales', layered with strong soli on keyboards and guitar. My only problem concerns the drum work, in my opinion at some moments too tight and monotone. But this does not really harm the pleasant, varied and fresh sounding prog by Karfagen, recommended to the keyboard aficionados.

erik neuteboom | 3/5 |