Peter Gabriel - So CD (album) cover

SO

Peter Gabriel

sularetal
3 stars When I bought this album I didn't pay attention on the guest appearances. When I noticed how many musicians perform in this album I was really surprised. What you hear is much work done with synthesizers, Gabriel's voice, female vocals at times and it makes you think this album is done by four, five people. In the contrary, almost 30 musicians participate in the making of this album.

Firstly, I have to say I've never been a huge Genesis or Gabriel fan but I always admired them as musicians. This cd however doesn't manage to impress me. Pretty simple compositions with catchy tunes all over the songs and at the same time a very commercial sound. This doesn't make it a bad album but surely not essential. The style of the songs varies from more rock sounding like "Red rain" and "That voice again" to more commercial (80's) sounding like "Sledge hammer" and "Big time". There are even songs with a more ambient sound (which are my favourite) like "Don't give up", "In your Eyes", "Mercy street" and "We do what we're told.

This is not a bad album, well-crafted songs, good musicians, Gabriel's classic voice. However, I recommend Peter Gabriel's DVD, "Growing Up Live" (2003) which is magical. Many will love this album and others may be disappointed. 3 stars!

sularetal | 3/5 |