Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Gli Anni Settanta  CD (album) cover

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

3 stars I've had this compilation for a few years now.Contains plenty of Mellotron that will appeal to fans of Trespass and In The Court Of The Cimson King.Not really interesting though if you like your prog a little more harder edged and exciting.Perhaps though I'm missing the point as this does have a lot of atmosphere and a certain folky quality to it.However although the musicianship is top notch not a great deal of it grabs me personally.I think PFM are certainly an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire and the fact that all the songs here are sung in Italian is a problem to me as a non Italian speaking person. In summary this is an excellent addition to your prog collection if you want some PFM but want to avoid shelling out too many reddies.However on the grounds of my personal reservations I cant recommend it whole heartedly.Perhaps best to sit on the fence with a 3 star rating therefore as the musicianship certainly elevates this above 2 star mediocrity.
richardh | 3/5 |