Marillion - B'Sides Themselves CD (album) cover

4 stars I give 3.5* to this albums because of Grendel, IMO one of the best examples of what Neo Prog can be. A masterpiece of 17 minutes which sometimes reminds me Genesis Supper's Ready and some early IQ stuff... really beautiful and powerful, a delight for every real proghead ears.

The other tracks are very good but in an almost poppish style but always with the Marillion sound such as Lady Nina and Cinderella Search. Maybe the highlights on this colection of short tracks are the scotish Market Square and the athmospherical songs Three Boats... and Tux On.

The track that dissaponted me was Margaret. I don't know why but I don't like those kind of repetitive songs at the end of the concert when the leader of the band tries to present the musicians during the song... personal opinion of course, but I think that song are out of place in this album.

Overall I think that this "sides" are -at this time- an historical document and that's enough to add the album to your colection.

progadicto | 4/5 |