Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

NURSERY CRYME

Genesis

OpethGuitarist
3 stars Considered one of Genesis's first masterpieces by many, and the first with the traditional lineup, Nursery Cryme offers us a mixture of styles that shows them becoming creative songwriters. Some of the songs range from a typical prog sound, to an almost prog metal sound in "Return of the Giant Hogweed" to more or less playful "nursery" music, almost folk like in songs like "Harold The Barrel".

I am satisfied with around half of this album, as unfortunately their are some being fairly mundane and uninspiring. The tracks that interest me the most are the opening track, 'Hogweed, and the ending of Seven Stones. The beginning of Hogweed instantly reminded me of Classic Nintendo, a la Megaman. Don't ask me why I get that feeling, I just do, you'll understand the connection if you are familiar with the game.

However, their are parts of this album which I'll never understand, and it's probably because I am not a Genesis buff and didn't grow up around the band. Harlequin is so lukewarm it's almost impossible to like. Salmacis is a song which just never really drove home with me, and I don't really get what everyone sees, or rather hears in it. It's pretty typical prog, but nothing too special in my book.

Overall a better Genesis album than Foxtrot, but lacking in some of the more cultivated songwriting of SEBTP. Bass on this album is really hindered by poor production, a word of caution to those like me in the high-tech era.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |