Peter Gabriel - Up  CD (album) cover

UP

Peter Gabriel

sukmytoe
4 stars I didn't like Gabriels last studio album in that I personally thought it was too bland. What about this one then?

"Darkness" - Overcoming and controlling fears. Very interesting track that is frightening - kind of like a horror story done in sound. Strong album opener.

"Growing Up" - Birth, death and then perhaps reincarnation - the growth cycle. Interesting upbeat track.

"Sky Blue" - Irrelevantly of anything else or what happens in life the sky is there and it's easy to get lost staring up into a deep blue sky. Another interesting track.

"No Way Out" - Starts off with a twangy guitar that sounds like a Western Movie theme. The tightening you feel when you see an accident or a tragedy and you hope that a loved one isn't the focal point.

"I Grieve" - Life goes on after death. The world doesn't stop turning. A really sad track.

"The Barry Williams Show" - About trashy TV shows (Jerry Springer etc). Upbeat number.

"My Head Sounds Like That" - Having a migraine - or a hangover (heh heh). Sounds very similar to a Beatles number that I can't quite place if that number were slowed down considerably. Interesting track.

"More than This" - There is much more to life and things than we percieve. Nice track.

"Signal to Noise" - How a pure signal can become corrupted by noise - purity can become tarnished. Very interesting and very dramatic track.

"The Drop" - The last great mystery is death. The imagery in these lyrics is very strong. I always love the piano when it is used properly.

This album is a work of art in the way that it uses lyrics and music. There is not much in music that is like a Gabriel album and for that fact relating to this specific album and for the fact that this is a really strong album full of lyrical ideas and musical ideas I cannot but give this a 4 star rating.

sukmytoe | 4/5 |