Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place CD (album) cover

THE EARTH IS NOT A COLD DEAD PLACE

Explosions In The Sky

Post Rock/Math rock

clarke2001
1 stars Sheer boredom. Maybe it's just me, but I think their songs are lacking better development and more interplays, perhaps a few other instruments to deserve to be called prog. As someone mentioned before, they're not outstanding technicians-but that's not the main problem. There's just one huuge lack of imagination. Harmonies could be developed better, solos are missing that fundamental "catchyness", drumming is dull and generally, I got an impression that they sound like R.E.M. trying to make epics. But I think R.E.M. would do it better, with minimalistic touch of mono synths, short, simple-structured but flashy guitars and basic but good drumming...

Now. I know that my brain and taste are hopelessly petrified in 70's symphonic rock, but if you want to experience post-rock go for the excellent GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR! or TUATARA. This is so hermetic and floating in the vacuum of musical phrases discovered millions of times before. I got an impression that all the songs are written in the same key. To be very honest, there are a few good moments in the middle of"The Only Moment We're Alone" but they are going nowhere.

I really can't imagine listening to this with your attention set higher than zero. I tried several times and almost fell asleep. I'm really not inquisitive to check out other albums from these guys. The best I can say is try before you buy. Yawn.

clarke2001 | 1/5 |