Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die CD (album) cover

JOHN BARLEYCORN MUST DIE

Traffic

Mellotron Storm
3 stars This record begins with the 7 minute instrumental "Glad" featuring sax, flute, organ, drums and piano. The second song "Freedom Rider" is one of my favourites on this record, it opens with sax and it's actually a joy to hear Steve's voice after the opening instrumental. I've been a fan of Steve's voice since I first heard it back in the late seventies. Flute and piano are both prominant as well but I really like the sax.

"Empty Pages" has an R & B vibe going on, lots of organ. "Stranger To Himself" is piano and vocal led for the most part, although there's some good guitar too. "John Barleycorn" is simply a beautiful folk song with flute, acoustic guitar and piano accompanying Steve's reserved vocals. "Every Mother's Son" is another favourite with some nice guitar and Steve's soulful vocals leading the way.

Not quite 4 stars for me but an album I respect a lot. My favourite TRAFFIC album is "The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys".

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |