Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV CD (album) cover

LED ZEPPELIN IV

Led Zeppelin

Lord Anon
4 stars The quintessential rock album?

The festive mood of "Black Dog" is carried on to "Rock and Roll", providing a great album opening. Then, the album gets mystical with "The Battle of Evermore", a very unusual Led Zeppelin song (it has guest vocals by Sandy Denny and a dazing mandolin by Page). The next song, "Stairway to Heaven", while not my favourite song on the album, has the title of being the greatest, most perfect and epic rock song of all time. It is the centerpiece of the album, for sure.

On the B side we have "Misty Mountain Hop", a trippy trip, one of the three first Led Zeppelin songs I ever heard and "Four Sticks", the weakest track on the album in my opinion, but still a major example of Bonham's drumming skills. Closing the album are "Going to California", a calm, gentle song that contrasts with the aggressive "When The Levee Breaks", the other perfect song in the album, a legendary drumming performance.

Lord Anon | 4/5 |