Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) CD (album) cover

THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING (AND OTHER STORIES)

Steven Wilson

marcobrusa
4 stars WOW, this album became really popular. I'll start by saying: we are in 2013, the 70's are way back, and making good and innovative music these days is very hard because there is so much history in progressive rock... buuut... Steven Wilson deserves 4 stars for this album in my opinion.

This album may not be pure gold but it sounds awesome and has touching moments (the last song), groovy moments, powerful riffs such as the beginning of the fist song for example and the arrangements, specially the drums by Marco Minnemann, are very modern and tight. Very well composed music with excellent sound and musicmanship.

When reviewing this album I have in mind these facts: this is a soloist album - it is a step foreward in Wilson's carreer - it is obvious that there are many influences that made this album possible but it is inevitable to have influences unless you born composing and playing music whithout any reference!!!

I was about to give this album 3 stars but it's not just good. It's VERY good. I do not consider it an "Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection" tho because of the last thing I said about the influences; it is true that I prefer listening to other prog rock albums that are either more experimental or older, or both. So that one last star missing would be innovativeness, in this case.

This is not an album for purists but it's great. Steven Wilson is reviving prog rock in his own way and that intention is why i think this album deserves 4 stars and not 3. Recommended for young people!

marcobrusa | 4/5 |