Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1 CD (album) cover

THE PERFECT ELEMENT PART 1

Pain Of Salvation

kev rowland
Crossover Team
4 stars This is another concept album by Swedish outfit Pain Of Salvation, and is actually only part 1! I enjoyed their last album 'One Hour By The Concrete Lake' so I was intrigued to hear this. While they have always been seen as part of the progressive metal movement, this album sees them make some real strides in both parts of that genre. There are times when they are playing as heavy as any of the hard rock bands coming out of the States, yet they temper it by going through so many different musical styles and ideas. The gentle lilting vocals, accompanied by a delicate fretless bass can give way suddenly to brutality, while there is often a feeling of melancholy.

It is the sort of album that can be enjoyed on first hearing, but it has great depth ? and I wish that I had the lyrics so that I could study them. This album will only see their reputation grow.

Originally appeared in Feedback #61, Feb 01