Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

Ivan_Melgar_M
Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars My least favorite GABRIEL GENESIS release, I feel like this album has more relation with the soft and melancholic "A Trick of the Tail" rather than with any other GABRIEL era release. Of course there are some masterpieces like "Cinema Show" and "Firth of Fifth", but the band lost the dark atmosphere that surrounded them in the previous album. "Selling England.." is more cheerful and radio friendly than any other PG release, they even had a hit single with I Know what I Like, a good song but easier to listen.

"Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" deserves a special paragraph, because the acapella intro by Peter GABRIEL is one of the best examples of how great vocalist he is, probably not as natural gifted as Greg Lake or Freddie Mercury but Peter always puts something extra that I like to call soul, remember it's a very hard task ro sing this kind of introductions while the instruments slowly start joining his voice without loosing the right key in any moment, and he does it as a real master.

The weakest point of this album is "More Fool Me" probably the worst poppy ballad in early GENESIS history, absolutely boring and totally out of place in a GENESIS album before 1978, but still Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth make it deserve not less than 5 stars.

Ivan_Melgar_M | 5/5 |