Pink Floyd - Animals CD (album) cover

ANIMALS

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars Well, this Pink Floyd album is rather rock oriented, It doesn't follow the atmospheric blueprint of the previous album, "Wish You Were Here". Although it is good that Pink Floyd did not keep copying the same ideas, I do prefer the more atmospheric approach. WYWH hums with an energy that draws you in to the music. I feel that Animals does not do so very well.

"Animals" has some great tracks, however. I feel that the last 3 tracks on the album are the strongest. And, with the iconic artwork, this album is certainly a solid piece of Pink Floyd's discography. Yet, the prominence of rocky tunes takes away from it a bit for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar work, as Gilmour is one of the greatest guitarists ever; but I miss the more keyboard driven style. With that said, can Gilmour create an UNmemorable guitar solo? It doesn't seem like he is capable of this. All in all, a great album from one of the greatest bands to grace our planet.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |