Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

GruvanDahlman
5 stars Though I at most times prefer A passion play, I really cannot tell them apart when it comes to describe their inner, true qualities They are prog masterpieces and are timeless, full of quirky britishness and wonderful melodies.

When composing tracks lasting over five minutes you have to calculate with the risk of the listener growing bored, at least at times. Ultimately, alas, it stands as a true test if genius writing and performing twotracks lasting over 20 minutes, WITHOUT boring the listener and making him or her feel like they've just listened to a three minute piece. That is brilliance in a nutshell.

The music ranges over blues, folk and hardrock in a torally seamless and effortless work. Everything seems to be in it's proper place. The musicianship is extraordinary, with the blues rock roots firmly in place. I guess I adore Thick as a brick by way of it's dirty, rootsy sound, hailing from when prog was still at some sort of infancy.

An extra notation must be given to the keyboard player John Evan whose wonderful, delicate and harsh stab on ye olde organ makes me shiver with delight.

Summary: Thick as a brick is without a doubt a work of gods and a true masterpiece everyone ought to have in their collection. It's like the air you breathe, you can't live without it.

GruvanDahlman | 5/5 |