Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here CD (album) cover

WISH YOU WERE HERE

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

JCDenton
3 stars Floyd in their prime (which was actually quite a few years). "Wish You Were Here" will always be remembered by Prog and (general) Rock fans alike. The title track meant a lot to the group and their missing of their former bandmate, while that track also was the connection between fans and loved ones they have been separated from and lost. It's incredible when you can move others through music in that way. It shouldn't be minded that the song was more radio friendly than it was Prog. Still, I am keeping in mind that I am rating this album as a Prog work. Onto the rest of the album..

Both "Shine On"s are dramatic, almost dream-like pieces. Excellent solos and melodies (those four guitar notes after the first solo will forever give me goosebumps) and moving lyrics. The final track on the album is an excellent reprise of the first, and it comes back even more exciting. Great closer.

"Welcome to the Machine" and "Have a Cigar" are decent songs about the music industry, and in a way are "screw you!"s to it. Good synths throughout and plenty of emotion. "By the way, which one's Pink?" When a superior says that to you, you know you're in for quite a time. Many won't know the group has a face. a name. And definitely none of the members are Pink.

Overall good album. I'm not a big fan of Floyd mostly being laid back. I crave a bit more excitement throughout their works, but at least they can boast a great technical sound. I also feel to a good extent that the "Shine On" tracks overshadow the other immensely. They're not bad or "filler", the album's just a tad imbalanced to me.

Best track: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)

3/5