Canterbury Scene

Buy ZYMA Music
from partners
Studio Album, released in 1979

Side A
1. Brave New World (4:36)
2. Sundays (6:14)
3. Lunch Time (1:55)
4. Sunday Fever (5:45)

Side B
5. Transit (4:32)
6. Colours (8:27)
7. A Nice Way To Say Hello (5:08)

Search ZYMA Brave New World lyrics

Search ZYMA Brave New World tabs

- Gunther Hornung / piano, synthesizers
- Meinrad Hirt / piano, synthesizers, Solina string ensemble, flute, percussion, vocals
- Dorle Ferber / vocals, violin
- Joachim Romeis / viola, violin, trumpet, zink
- Bodo Brandle / bass
- Udo Kubler / drums, percussion, vocals

Guest musician:
- Dan Dare / congas, bongos, percussion

LP Private Release 151079 (1979)
CD Reissued in 2001 on Garden of Delights.

ZYMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ZYMA Brave New World Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Thoughts by ZymaThoughts by Zyma
Mi Corazon VacioMi Corazon Vacio
Fdi 1995

More places to buy ZYMA music online Buy ZYMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ZYMA Brave New World ratings distribution

ZYMA Brave New World reviews

3 stars I'm such a massive fan of ZYMA's debut called "Thoughts" that it was a no-brainer to track this one down. "Thoughts" just hit all the right buttons for me plus it was pretty cool to hear some Canterbury and Zeuhl shadings over the mostly Jazz/ Fusion style. This one continues with the Fusion at times but there's a Canterbury flavour mainly through some of the humour on here. It's just not the same as the debut, in fact it's a huge step backwards in my opinion. Plenty of violin and viola on this one as well as some flute and trumpet. We also get something called a Solina String Ensemble and there's a guest adding percussion, congas and bongos. Yes this is called "Brave New World" and it's 1979.

"Brave New World" gets things off on the wrong foot in a major way(haha). Lots of percussion, bongos etc. after a very lame intro that sounds like an ad for a new condo development or something. It reminded me of a part of the MIRTHKON debut which is funny, this not so much. Male vocals join in followed by female vocals as that lame chorus is repeated a couple of more times. A violin solo after 2 minutes followed by humerous male vocal melodies. The violin is back leading then the female starts to scat. Not a fan of this one.

"Sundays" is much better as we get this Fusion track with some killer drumming and bass playing on it. Atmosphere to start before the drums and bass kick in then the trumpet and electric piano. This reminds me of Miles it's so good. Distorted keys after 3 minutes changes the feel here as they replace the vocals. Vocal melodies return before 5 minutes and it ends with church bells. "Lunch Time" is a short 2 minute track of piano melodies until the bass arrives late. It's okay.

"Sunday Fever" sounds great as we get another Fusion piece. The drumming is outstanding. We get plenty of synths as the Solina String Ensemble joins in. Bass and a change a minute in as keys, percussion, drums and more help out. Vocal melodies followed by drums, violin and electric piano. That earlier sound is back late. "Transit" reminds me a little of DFA except the violin is very prominent here at times. The bass, drums and electric piano also stand out. Distorted keys and vocal melodies 2 1/2 minutes in then the violin is back late. Good song.

"Colours" is also very good except for the female vocals that turn me off part way through. This is the longest track at 8 1/2 minutes. Like "Sundays" we get atmosphere to start as sounds come and go. Violin is the first constant as drums, bass and percussion join in. The female vocal melodies after 3 minutes aren't bad but the vocals that follow are. She stops after 4 minutes as the flute takes over with the drums and so on continuing. Violin leads after 6 minutes then the Solina String Ensemble joins in. "A Nice Way To Say Hello" ends this recording and we get drums, flute, female vocal melodies, electric piano and more. I'm just not into this though. Violin comes to the fore early on as well.

A disappointment for sure but the instrumental work I have no fault with, in fact I quite enjoyed it many times over a listening period of this album. Just not my thing overall I guess.

4 stars A very good album that features a wide range of instruments and styles. Zyma, a six-piece amalgamation of styles, uses its diversity as its cornerstone. "Brave New World" sounds mainstream soundtrack-meets as yet unheard new wave-meets disco-meets Ruphus (vocals and fiddle and groove very re ... (read more)

Report this review (#1149223) | Posted by Suedevanshoe | Sunday, March 16, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ZYMA "Brave New World"