TEMPEST

Buy NORTH STAR Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Tempest (6:54)
2. Yes, I Know (5:02)
3. Bathroom By the Bongos (6:23)
4. Prelude in C (2:38)
5. Opus V (6:00)
6. Raudra (9:09)
7. Getting' Guigué Wit It (3:21)
8. Plastic Bombastic (7:00)
9. Goodbye Mom (6:09)
10. Colossus (4:43)

Search NORTH STAR Tempest lyrics

Search NORTH STAR Tempest tabs

- Dave Johnson / electric, acoustic, & bass guitars
- Glenn Leonard / drums & percussion, keyboards (on tracks 4 & 5)
- Kevin Leonard / keyboards, bass (on 1 & 3)
- Joe Newnam / sitar

CD Space Monster Optional Entertainment CD-0500-4 (2000) USA

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

NORTH STAR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NORTH STAR Tempest Music

Tropical Breezes by Calido (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Wind in the Rigging by Various Artists (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $1.95 [0 bids]
North Star Jazz Ensemble The Way You Look Tonight CD EX US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
GEIR LYSNE & LISTENING ENSEMB - BOAHJENASTI - BOAHJENASTI-THE NORTH STAR NEW CD US $43.16 Buy It Now 12h 3m
SANDY DENNY 1971 UK ISLAND PINK RIM LP THE NORTH STAR US $8.52 [0 bids]
Introducing David Osborne by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Celtic Tidings by Chris Caswell (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $16.95 Buy It Now 16h 42m
NORTH STAR: Triskelion (rock & pop vinyl LP) inner sleeve, shrink US $30.00 Buy It Now 19h 17m
Louie Zdrazil/ North Star Appli /NSA114/45RPM Polka Record! Check My Other's! US $14.99 [0 bids]
Louie Zdrazil/ North Star Appli NR12768/45RPM Polka Record! Check My Other's! US $14.99 [0 bids]
New - American Christmas by Folk Like Us Cassette, Jun-1994, North Star Music US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h 52m
THE NORTH STAR BAND LP-TONIGHT/ADELPHI REC. 1979 VG+ US $7.98 Buy It Now 23h 27m
North Star Grassman And The Ravens (Deluxe Edition - Sandy Denny New US $36.39 Buy It Now 1 day
SANDY DENNY North Star Grassman & The Ravens LP Fairport Convention FOTHERINGAY US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PHILIP GLASS - NORTH STAR - 12" LP 33 RPM - USA US $19.99 [0 bids]
Eveningtide by Bruce Foulke (Cassette, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $8.33 Buy It Now 1 day
North Star Jazz Ensemble : Way You Look Tonight CD (1998) US $4.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Philip Glass "North Star" Near Mint - New Age Music US $10.00 [0 bids]
CURVED AIR - north star 2014 US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
The Way You Look Tonight by North Star Jazz Ensemble (CD, Jul-2004, North... US $1.99 [0 bids]
North Star Jazz Ensemble : Very Thought of You CD (1996) US $4.34 Buy It Now 1 day
A Christmas Wish by Lorraine Rousseau (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $2.54 Buy It Now 1 day
North Star POP Hits Vol 2052 CDG Karaoke Devils & Angels Take My Breath Away! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PHILIP GLASS - North Star - original 1988 Virgin Records CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
North Star Jazz Ensemble Wine Country Jazz CD US $9.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Brown Can't Be Love-Do It To Me Anyway / West Of The North Star 45 rpm NM US $4.40 Buy It Now 1 day
In the Arms of the Wind by Robin Spielberg (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $4.50 Buy It Now 1 day
A Celtic Celebration by Steve Schuch (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $1.50 [0 bids]
LP- Peter and Paul Wendinger- Twin Concertina- North Star- NSA-100- Wisconsin US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Celtic Tidings by Chris Caswell (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Divas of Broadway: Great Women of Stage and Song (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Mu... US $8.74 Buy It Now 1 day
DON McCUNE - North Star 1 (Fairbanks) - Alaska's Flag / Kotzebue Dance - 45 US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RODDY FRAME The North Star CD One Track Dj Issue, Card Sleeve US $5.55 Buy It Now 2 days
PHILIP GLASS North Star LP 1977 Appears UNPLAYED NM/M Electronic String COMPOSER US $8.88 Buy It Now 2 days
~~SANDY DENNY~~RICHARD THOMPSON~~THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS~~EX~~ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rock 45 The Serendipity Singers - Little Brown Jug / High North Star On Philips US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
1971 UK Orig. SAND DENNY LP "THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN & THE RAVENS" US $8.52 [0 bids]
Sandy Denny - North Star Grassman Del Edtn NEW CD US $22.46 Buy It Now 2 days
BOBBY DIGITAL PRESENTS - North Star - KOCCD8395 US $14.47 Buy It Now 3 days
FIST OF THE NORTH STAR - HERE`S TO AN EARLY GRAVE - STKMN002 US $18.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SANDY DENNY THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS 1971 UK VINYL ALBUM 1ST PRESS US $1.69 [1 bids]
SANDY DENNY North Star Grassman & The Ravens 2014 UK 180g vinyl LP + MP3 NEW US $32.41 Buy It Now 3 days
Fist Of The North Star - Here's To An Early Grave NEW CD US $17.22 Buy It Now 3 days
NORTH STAR-SELF TITLED-1982 SCRUNCHFACE MUSIC LP NS I-SHRINK-NEAR MINT US $29.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Shores of Lillisand * by Steve Schuch (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Crossing the Waters by Steve Schuch (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wings of Hope * by Kingsway (CD, Apr-2005, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Prairie by Dennis Hysom (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Upon a Midnight Clear by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Winter Wonderland by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Music of the Night by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Movie Matinee by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Keys to the Heart by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Especially for You by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
From This Moment by David Osborne (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peace on Earth by North Star Artists (CD, Aug-2005, North Star Music) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SANDY DENNY The North Star PROMO BOX + 4 JAPAN MINI LP CD RARE OOP US $139.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Celtic Spa by Various Artists (CD, 2007, North Star Music) US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Island Time * by Michael Oakland (CD, 2005, North Star Music) US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sangria Cooler by North Star Artists (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wine and Roses by Paul Nagel (CD, Apr-2005, North Star Music) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chill Time by Various Artists (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ocean Planet by Dennis Hysom (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Shade of Paradise by Bruce Foulke (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SANDY DENNY**NORTH STAR GRASSMAN & RAVENS (DLX ED)**2CD US $24.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Cowboy Charlie Huff- North Star LP - Mint- (LP vinyl record) US $19.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Sweet Harmony [Fabulous] by Mills Brothers (The) (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Mu... US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Tropical Breezes by Calido (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Wine Country Jazz by Bruce Abbott (CD, 2006, North Star Music) US $9.49 Buy It Now 4 days
JAPAN ANIME OST 45 FIST OF THE NORTH STAR 7inch HOKUTO NO KEN US $27.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Christmas Remembered: Classic Holiday Chamber Music (CD, Jun-1994, North Star Mu US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ROBERT FRIPP/north star/white label promo/12" single US $35.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PHILIP GLASS North Star LP Virgin label US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SANDY DENNY - NORTH STAR GRASSMAN & THE RAVENS (DLX) NEW CD US $39.32 Buy It Now 4 days
SANDY DENNY - THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $11.06 Buy It Now 4 days
O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher - North Star 1001 - VG+ US $125.00 Buy It Now 4 days
North Star Ensemble A Moment of Time - The Best of North Sta CD US $3.86 Buy It Now 4 days
VIC CHESNUTT - NORTH STAR DESERTER (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.44 Buy It Now 4 days
PHILIP GLASS - North Star CD ( Virgin Records CDV 2085 NO UPC ) RARE US $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Take It Satch: Best of Louis Armstrong by Louis Armstrong (CD, North Star Music) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Vic Chesnutt - North Star Deserter CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 5 days
Fist of the North Star Music CD OST III Soundtrack ***BRAND NEW*** HOKUTO NO KEN US $19.99 [1 bids]
Fist of the North Star Music CD OST 2 Soundtrack ****BRAND NEW**** HOKUTO NO KEN US $19.99 [0 bids]
PHILIP GLASS: North Star (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Sandy Denny The North Star Grassman and the Ravens 2X CD Deluxe Fairport US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chapel in the Country by Russell Cook (Dulcimer) CD, Jul-2004, North Star... US $3.99 [0 bids]
Acoustic Caf‚ by Lorraine Rousseau (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $4.92 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID OSBORNE ~ KEYS TO THE HEART ~ CD 1998 NORTH STAR AUTOGRAPHED US $4.99 [0 bids]
CASSETTE ED SWEENEY INSIDE FEZZIWIGS 1990 NORTH STAR RECORDS OOP RARE US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CASSETTE ED SWEENEY ITS CHRISTMAS TIME IN THE CITY 1990 NORTH STAR RECORDS OOP US $9.49 Buy It Now 6 days
Fist Of The North Star Original Songs CD Album - Hokuto No Ken - US Seller US $29.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LP/VINYL-PHILIP GLASS "North Star" 1977 Virgin Records Ambient US $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
NORTH STAR BAND Tonight LP Vinyl VG+ Shrink 1979 Adelphi AD 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6 days
NORTH STAR "FEEL THE COLD" ULTRA RARE SYMPHONIC PROGRESSIVE CD) USA SHIPPING 8$. US $80.00 Buy It Now 6 days
(CB135) Roddy Frame, The North Star - 1998 DJ CD US $4.69 Buy It Now 6 days
Starlight in the 50's by The Streamliners (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $0.01 [0 bids]
8-Track Tape SANDY DENNY North Star Grassman UK PICTURE COVER US $34.98 Buy It Now 7 days
COWBOY CHARLIE HUFF ~ SIGNED ~ NORTH STAR 45 ~ OKLAHOMA RARE COUNTRY US $1.99 Buy It Now 7 days
PETER BROWN * CAN'T BE LOVE - DO IT TO ME ANYWAY & WEST OF THE NORTH STAR 45RPM US $5.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Celtic Yule (CD, Jul-2004, North Star Music) US $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy NORTH STAR music online Buy NORTH STAR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NORTH STAR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NORTH STAR Tempest ratings distribution

NORTH STAR Tempest reviews

Review by lor68
3 stars Well You know I don't like such derivative bands (within the so called "Neo Prog" school) very much, nor I get crazy for this US traditional sound resembling the "early Genesis", which is not so different. Nevertheless -in comparison to their disappointing debut album "Triskelion" (according to my personal tastes naturally), I find interesting music features inside, even though these latter are not always well connected together: the output is a bit uneven, but their personal imprinting starts growing! Actually a few parts of a melodic guitar are memorable, but generally the melodic lines inside their songs are remarkable and this time their emulation of such English stereotypes is acceptable.

I don't want to remark a particular track, cause the compactness of the sound and of the compositions as well, don't disturb my relaxed listening...it lacks of a certain cohesion, but at last this album is worth checking out at least.

I prefer derivative works like those ones by Glass Hammer for example, anyway make your own choice and you could find some surprising elements also within this "Tempest"!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#5186) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by progrules
3 stars It took me quite a while to make up my mind about this album before I wanted to do the review. The reason is this is one of the most varied albums I own. The only common ground I discovered was the fact all tracks are instrumental. It's almost as if the band wants to show all sorts of possibillities for instrumental music. I'll sum it up for you:

1. Tempest. If North Star would have done all their songs this way I would have considered a four star rating probably but unfortunately this track is misleading. It's likely the best track according to my taste and shows pretty impressive guitarwork as main feature. 4*

2. Yes, I know is much more distorted with keys as dominant instrument. Weird tones and tunes and darkish in mood, quite original with windsounds towards the end. 3,25*

3. Bathroom by the Bongos starts with percussion sounds taken over by keys and guitar later on. Sort of improvisation this one, not really the best composition you will ever hear. 3*

4. Weakest track of the album (Bach's Prelude in C) showcasing tempo shifts and variation in detail on xylophone. Maybe a nice invention but a bit boring when you listen to it more often. 2,75*

5. Opus V is much more jazzy over sudden than previous songs. I always love the jazzy stuff so bring it on I'd say. It just proves my statement in first paragraph by now. But there's more to come. 3,5* for Opus V

6. Raudra sounds totally middle eastern with Joe Newman on sitar. Funny thing is when I checked out this track on my mp3 (along with other bands) I thought this was a typical Osiris (Bahrain neoband) track. But it appeared this 6th tune by North Star. Interesting. 3,75*

7. With "Getting guige wit it" North Star proves they can also handle the semi-classical material. Another really nice one but still I miss the true excellence. 3,25*

8. Plastic Bombastic seems to be a wind dominated song but since there are no winds in the line-up it's probably the keys imitating them. Not one of the best this one. 3 *

9. Goodbye Mom is second best and (coincidence or not) the second with prominent guitar. Just guess what my fav instrument is, hu ? Anyway another very good one. 3,75 *

10. Another one with wind imitation to round things off. Colossus simply proves to me this album just doesn't make the cut as far as I'm concerned. 3*

And the cut being the limit level between 3 and 4 stars that is. In the end the album lacks direction and this one proves that variation isn't a guarentee for succes. The final score is some 3,3 for me. I'm curious what other North Star albums sound like... I'll check them out one day.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#552588) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Forth album named Tempest released in 2000 and issued at small label Space Monster Optional Entertainment is diffrent from previous Power and aswell from next Extremes. This is entirely instrumental album, this time the band optained for some experimental arrangements, no more symphonic parts a la Genesis, maybe only here and there, Tempest sounds very much diffrent then anything they done before, if they sicceded , well to me only partial. Less captivating then Power and Extremes, they toying with lots of sounds and all kinds of jazzy eclectic elements combined with xylophone and sitar, the vocalist Joe Newnam is responsable for sitar use in Raudra. If overall is ok, I don't like very much the guitar sound, is too muddy for my ears and doesn't have a proper direction, like some pieces aswell, to much of everything is here. No particular piece is better then other, all have same level, so from me only 3 stars this time, great cover art. I think this experimental album from them not quite succeded after all, I prefer their symphonic prog side much more, there they can offer the best they got like on their next album and by far their best Extremes.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#637702) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012

2 stars This U.S. based band has been compared to GENESIS and this could very well be the case as my only experience with them started and ended with this release. Not that I didn't appreciate some of the music but I found it a bit disconnected and nomadish, meaning there was little continuity throug ... (read more)

Report this review (#5187) | Posted by Trafficdogg | Thursday, May 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Now..ive read (my ever reliable colleague) Greger R.´s reviews on North Stars previous albums..and this their 2000 outing......doesn´t get more than 3 stars either. North Star are obviosly a bunch of capable guys.....but..the thing is..they dont seem to get it together....as this record is a bag ... (read more)

Report this review (#5185) | Posted by Tonny Larz | Tuesday, March 02, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NORTH STAR "Tempest"