LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. II

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
Studio Album, released in 1987

1. Bogus Pomp (24:32)
2. Bob In Dacron (12:12)
3. Strictly Genteel (6:53)

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II lyrics

Search FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II tabs

- The London Symphony Orchestra / conductor by Kent Nagano
- David Ocker / solo clarinet
- Chad Wackerman / drums
- Ed Mann / featured percussionist

Rykodisc #RCD 10540/41

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II Music

London Symphony Orchestra Vols. I & II [2 CD]London Symphony Orchestra Vols. I & II [2 CD]
Zappa Records 2012
London Symphony Orchestra, Vols. I &IILondon Symphony Orchestra, Vols. I &II
Remastered
Zappa Records 1995
London Symphony Orchestra Vol. IILondon Symphony Orchestra Vol. II
Barking Pumpkin
Vinyl$74.99 (used)
London Symphony Orchestra Vols. I & II [2 CD] by Frank Zappa [Music CD]London Symphony Orchestra Vols. I & II [2 CD] by Frank Zappa [Music CD]
Zappa Records

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II reviews

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars As mentioned in the Vol 1 review, this album consists of recordings of Zappa pieces from sessions with the London Symphony Orchestra in early 1983. The main reason it took so long for these tracks to come out on CD was that Zappa was extremely displeased with the way they turned out. In the liner notes, he expresses a great deal of bitterness towards the unprofessionalism with which his music was treated, and comments that everybody who criticized Jazz from Hell for its sterile perfection should love this for all of its mistakes. The most obvious annoyance is the out-of-tune horns in "Strictly Genteel," which ruin the song enough that it becomes clearly inferior to the Orchestral Favorites version. The song is still pretty, but it feels rather perfunctory.

The other two tracks don't change my mind about Zappa as a classical composer, but I do find them vaguely interesting, though not really entertaining. I'm not thrilled to have a 24-minute version of "Bogus Pomp" (double the length of the Orchestral Favorites version), but I do think it's neat that many of the things I don't like about it were actually done purposefully. The reason it sounds like an awkward mish-mash of movie soundtrack cliches is because, essentially, Zappa was shooting for a parody of movie soundtrack cliches. No, I don't really enjoy it, but I can at least respect it, and it is kinda funny to play "spot the cliche" when listening to it.

The remaining track, according to the liner notes, is actually supposed to be a ballet. "Bob in Dacron" mostly strikes me as a pretty ok Stravinsky imitation, but it's got a couple of weird sonic moments that are quintessentially Zappa. Plus, who else would write a ballet about somebody trying to find a hookup in a singles bar?

In the end, this won't convert somebody who isn't already into Zappa the classical composer, but like its predecessor, it is ultimately an important part of Zappa's career. I'd probably give the combined release a slightly higher grade (***) than the individual albums, and somebody really interested in Zappa's career (and not just his best albums) will probably want it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#415806) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 14, 2011

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "London Symphony Orchestra Vol. II"