CELESTIAL

Good, but non-essential

Buy ISIS Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Sgnl>01 (0:55)
2. Celestial (The Tower) (9:42)
3. Glisten (6:34)
4. Swarm Reigns (Down) (6:01)
5. Sgnl>02 (0:51)
6. Deconstructing Towers (7:30)
7. Sgnl>03 (0:34)
8. Collapse and Crush (5:55)
9. C.F.T. (New Circuitry and Continued Evolution) (5:42)
10. Gentle Time (7:02)
11. SGNL>04 (End Transmission) (1:06)

Search ISIS Celestial lyrics

Search ISIS Celestial tabs

- Aaron Turner / guitars, vocals
- Mike Gallagher / guitars
- Jeff Caxide / bass
- Cliff Meyer / samples, vocals
- Aaron Harris / drums

CD Escape Artist (2000)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition
and to Fitzcarraldo for the last updates

ISIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ISIS Celestial Music

Wavering RadiantWavering Radiant
Ipecac Recordings 2009
In the Absence of TruthIn the Absence of Truth
Ipecac Recordings 2006
Temporal (2LP With Bonus DVD)Temporal (2LP With Bonus DVD)
Limited Edition · Special Edition
The Red SeaThe Red Sea
Second Nature 2002
Isis let me hold on vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 33m 28s
ISIS Self-Titled VINYL LP Buddah 1974 ~o US $6.76 Buy It Now 38m 43s
Isis LP Ain't No Backin' Up Now Buddah 5626 Lyrics Sheet Funk US $8.10 Buy It Now 56m 32s
PALMS S/T Cassette White /275 1st "Press" Deftones ISIS US $18.00 [1 bids]
ISIS self titled LP Record SEALED 1974 RARE US $22.50 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Old Man Gloom Christmas 2xLP vinyl record converge isis cave in zozobra US $27.95 Buy It Now 2h 24m
The Ocean Collective - Fluxion / Aeolion 3xlp vinyl // isis botch cult of luna US $37.66 [4 bids]
3h
ISIS CHILD - STRANGE DAYS - NEW IMPORT CD US $19.95 [0 bids]
Jesu "Jesu" CD '04 1st HH Godflesh Final Napalm Death Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy US $7.99 [0 bids]
Isis "Oceanic Remixes" 2xCD '05 Fennesz Jesu Pelican Patton Destructo Swarmbots US $8.99 [0 bids]
Jesu "Conqueror" CD '07 HH Godflesh Final Napalm Death Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy US $8.99 [0 bids]
Jesu "Why Are We Not Perfect" CD EP '08 Godflesh Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy Final US $6.99 [0 bids]
Final "3" 2xCD '06 Godflesh Head of David Jesu Isis Nadja Neurosis Pelican Iroha US $9.99 [0 bids]
Final "Solaris" CD '98 Godflesh Scorn Jesu Isis Nadja Neurosis Pelican Troum KTL US $12.99 [1 bids]
Tusk "Tree of no Return" LP Pelican Isis Boris Torche Russian Circles vinyl US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Lotus Eaters "Mind Control For Infants" CD drone Sunn 0))) Stephen O'Malley ISIS US $5.00 [0 bids]
Pelican Test Press Deny The Absolute 7" Isis converge cave in baroness LP zombi US $10.00 [5 bids]
DEAD IN THE WATER Less Days Left 10" EP Finnish sludge metal minsk morgion isis US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Split cranium s/t self titled vinyl Isis old man gloom neurosis US $11.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Temporal Isis Vinyl LP US $25.17 Buy It Now 9h 4m
The Red Sea, Isis, Good US $6.33 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Isis Panopticon cd US $0.99 [1 bids]
Time In Malta:Construct And Demolish RED VINYL LP,Botch,Converge,Neurosis,Isis US $29.99 [0 bids]
LISTEN - SOUL - ISIS - BOBBI & MARIA PAT 1 + PART 2 US $7.99 Buy It Now 14h 53m
IDES OF GEMINI HEXAGRAM 7" *RED* 2013 RSD BLACK MATH HORSEMEN ISIS OCCULTATION US $11.99 Buy It Now 17h 19m
Pelican - Pink Mammoth 10" pink w/ red splatter vinyl hydra head isis neurosis US $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 9m
CROWN Psychurgy CD french industrial sludge duo a la nadja jesu godflesh isis US $12.99 Buy It Now 18h 47m
INTER ARMA Burial 2x LP White Vinyl /300 TRUE WIDOW Mastodon isis torche relapse US $45.00 [0 bids]
Maudlin of the Well - My Fruit Psychobells A Seed Combustible 2xLP kayo dot isis US $27.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
Isis: Don't try it 12" 12inch vinyl record single d US $8.00 Buy It Now 19h 32m
Jesu / Eluvium LP Temporary Residence Godflesh Nadja Isis LIMITED RED VINYL doom US $14.33 [0 bids]
Pelican Deny The Absolute 5x7" SET #47/50 Isis Russian Circles Neurosis Maserati US $75.00 [0 bids]
Converge All We Love We Leave Behind 2xLP Clear Red Vinyl isis deafheaven deathw US $26.00 [0 bids]
ISIS rebel soul LP Mint- 444 030 1 Vinyl 1990 Record US $10.50 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Isis-Oceanic Remixes Volume I US orig' SEALED #2500 12" 2004 James Plotkin US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 18m
ISIS - DEEPER, SEMINAL Trance 12" Promo (Endeavour - endv 008) US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 2m
ISIS BREAKING THROUGH RARE FEMALE FUNK OUTFIT OOP VINYL SAMPLES MINT US $9.99 [0 bids]
Zombi "Escape Velocity" LP OOP Maserati Russian Circles Isis Grails Clear /100 US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Boris Smile melvins isis sunn Earth US $3.00 [0 bids]
Windmills by the Ocean [LP] ISIS. oldmangloom.zozobra US $7.00 [0 bids]
ISIS *Live V 7.23.06* Limited Ed. White Vinyl Limited to 250 US $80.00 [0 bids]
HAGOOD HARDY AND FRIENDS ISIS RECORDS THE HOMECOMING 1 & 2 0001 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Isis 'Live Selections 2001-2005' 2xLP Vinyl Chocolate Limited to 403 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Witch Mountain 7' EP Neurosis Morne Godflesh Pelican Cult Of Luna Isis YOB US $12.99 [0 bids]
Isis "Oceanic" '02 Rare Sealed Lt. Green Dbl Escape Artist LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
CLOUDKICKER EPs 2XLP MYSTERY SPLATTER VINYL/200 Mastodon Baroness Intronaut Isis US $20.50 [4 bids]
Isis "Oceanic" '02 Rare Sealed Dark Green Escape Artist Dbl LP US $20.99 [2 bids]
Isis "Oceanic" '02 Rare Sealed Clear Vinyl Escape Artist Dbl LP US $21.50 [4 bids]
Isis "SGNL 05" 2001 NM Grey Vinyl Tortuga/Neurot LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Isis "SGNL 05" 2001 NM Purple MarbleTortuga/Neurot LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Isis "SGNL 05" 2001 NM Clear Vinyl Tortuga/Neurot LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Isis "Celestial" Rare Test Pressing Dbl HH/ Escape Artist LP US $51.00 [2 bids]
Isis "Celestial" Rare Red/Tan Marble Dbl HH/ Escape Artist LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Isis "Celestial" Rare Yellow/Orange Swirl Dbl HH/ Escape Artist LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Isis Temporal 2CD 1DVD Set Aaron Turner Ipecac Melvins SEALED US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEUROSIS word as law LP lookout Dystopia Earth Sunn Melvins Isis Jesu eyehategod US $37.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ISIS Red Sea 12" 180 GRAM BLACK VINYL new UNPLAYED US $14.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Ghost Brigade-In the Woods/Soulcarvers 7" ltd rare Isis Neurosis Pelican Rosetta US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ISIS **orig vinyl Lp "Aint No Backin Up Now" SEALED US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jesu Lifeline TEST PRESS Hydra Head Godflesh Cult of Luna Neurosis Isis Pelican US $55.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ISIS Rebel Soul 12" Single Promo Vinyl 1990 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Not in Rivers, But in Drops Isis CD US $4.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Die Träne der Isis (Hörbuch Band 6) US $46.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Pelican Australasia 2x LP vinyl Isis Russian Circles Aaron Turner Doom Prog US $45.45 Buy It Now 1 day
ISIS: Ain't No Backing Up Now / Mono (funk vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Neurosis - Time Of Grace / The Last You'll Know RARE Promo Advance Radio Isis US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
iSIS "The Red Sea" LP 12" CLEAR vinyl SNR BRAND NEW! NEVER PLAYED! US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Cave-In "Lift Off" 7" OOP Converge Isis Piebald Old Man Gloom Pelican US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sunn O))) - Oracle LP converge isis pelican red sparrows boris southern lord US $11.99 [0 bids]
BOTCH - We Are The Romans - CLEAR 2x LP Vinyl New ISIS Converge Glassjaw US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Isis - Wavering Radiant vinyl LP [VG] US $11.00 [4 bids]
Isis Meditate '96 Remix 12" Single Sealed Viking 13853-2963-1 1996 US $10.95 Buy It Now 2 days
"ISIS" Buddah 1974, 'Silver Nudes' Cover SEALED 8-track US $24.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Isis Temporal 3 Vinyl LP Record & DVD Box Set black sabbath godflesh melvins NEW US $35.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPLIT CRANIUM - Vinyl LP HYDRAHEAD ISIS CIRCLE MAMMIFER CONVERGE US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
11(Eleven)PLAYING ENEMY-Isis-TIME IN MALTA-Craw-METAL US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ISIS 2 lps- Wavering Radiant IPECAC IPC-113LP Black Vinyl/ Gatefold US $49.99 [0 bids]
ISIS - OCEANIC *remixes vol. 1* SEALED! (USA vinyl LP) Hardcore/Metal US $45.00 [0 bids]
ISIS - PANOPTICON *Ltd. Edition Clear vinyl* (USA vinyl LP) Hardcore/Metal US $40.00 [0 bids]
Isis 03.19.03 Live 2x Vinyl LP Record non cd songs! NEW US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Pelican RARE self-release of self-titled 2001 EP Isis Cave In Post Metal Chicago US $15.00 [0 bids]
Neurosis Sovereign 1st ed. TEST PRESS Hydra Head Isis Steve Albini Cult of Luna US $95.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Lully: Isis (Complete) Lully / Masset / La Sinfinoie Du Marais CD US $36.91 Buy It Now 2 days
Reyne,Hugo - Lully : Isis [CD New] US $39.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Isis - Holy Tears [New] US $6.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ROBERT RADFORD: O STAR OF EVE / O ISIS (MAGIC FLUTE). ZONOPHONE CELEBRITY GO17. US $3.34 [0 bids]
AmenRa - Oathbreaker split LP 7" Doom metal sludge hardcore Isis Pelican US $5.00 [1 bids]
New Directions by Isis (CD, Jan-2002, Universal Music Latino) US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Converge 2010 Tour Poster Oz Concert RARE (neurosis isis dillinger escape plan) US $12.13 Buy It Now 2 days
Rock Invasion CD, Interpuesto, Isis, El tri, El Aragan, Vago, LEd Zeppelin Y MAS US $7.75 Buy It Now 2 days
MOUTH OF THE ARCHITECT Quietly CD sludge metal neurosis a storm of light isis US $11.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ISIS - HOLY TEARS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $10.09 Buy It Now 2 days
CROSSES ??? DIGIPAK CD NEW SEALED Chino Moreno DEFTONES ISIS PALMS +Download US $11.11 Buy It Now 2 days
ISIS featuring Marcia Johnson - Don't Try It - CD 7-Track 1997 Dance Pool US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HARKONEN 7" Botch Hydrahead SXE punk ISIS HELMS ALEE US $3.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Nadja Skin Turns to Glass CD Aidan Baker Sunn Isis Troum Pyramids Mamiffer Coil US $3.00 [1 bids]
CROSSES ??? 2xLP Limited WHITE VINYL Chino Moreno Deftones isis palms team sleep US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY LP pelican isis mono godspeed you black emperor punk hxc US $13.00 [1 bids]
PELICAN australasia 2xLP mastodon RSD SEALED neurosis isis uncle acid yob boris US $36.66 [0 bids]
THOU baton rouge EP 1ST PRESS RED 800 neurosis yob isis melvins boris salome om US $26.66 [0 bids]

More places to buy ISIS music online Buy ISIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ISIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ISIS Celestial ratings distribution

ISIS Celestial reviews

Review by Trickster F.
4 stars The epitome of heaviness.

When asked about their opinion of what the heaviest music sounds like, most people will describe a fast, brutal group with blast beats and shrieking vocals that tries to be as loud and noisy as possible. Isis and their album titled Celestial show us a different way to be heavy - this way is not totally new actually, as it has been being developed for decades by various innovative Doom, Stoner and Sludge Metal groups, some of them, especially Neurosis and The Melvins must have influenced the Isis's sound somehow.

I will try to describe the group's sound as accurately as I can, although it is, of course, a good idea to hear it on your own to make the right conclusions. Celestial, in particular, can be described as something immensely huge, massive, menacing that crushes and destroys everything on its way to... Wherever it goes, it definitely does have a direction though! The way the vocals are used can be compared to Neurosis as well: the vocals are monotonous and do not, in any way, create the centre of the music. When they are absent you don't miss them and when they appear the music doesn't take much of a turn. You could say that the vocals are just another tool - an instrument in the arsenal of Isis. They are always used fittingly with the music and confirm its destructive message successfully. The album consists of many lengthy compositions, as well as short tracks that are not musical but have different sounds and effects to help get the message across. The whole album is supposed to be concept based around the destruction of a tower and is continued on the following EP SGNL>05. Before I heard this information, Celestial, just like the other Isis albums awoke a different association in me: drowning in a swamp! I'll let you in a little secret(okay, this is embarassing!): I have found my own way of listening to Isis's music. First of all, I throw the headphones away and instead enter a room, close all the doors, turn off the lights. Afterwards, I turn on the music as loud as possible and on top of it all... Yes, you've guessed it, I lie down on the floor and absorb the group's powerful, massive attack!

The group's trademark sound which has become very popular for is present throughout this record. There are either slow or mid-paced riffs, furious low screams that shout phrases that can be considered quite interesting after further investigation, "drowning" drums and occassional basslines that are used sparingly. Electronics are also used in a few occassions and fortunately they don't create that awkward feeling that is often awaken in us when we hear them used in rock music in a senseless, random way. The album is an intense, atmospheric listen, and practically any song except the SGNLs can be considered a highlight. I especially appreciate the sophisticated C.F.T. (New Circuitry and Continued Evolution) with its mellow, quiet guitar melodies, the experimental Deconstructing Towers, which have less vocals than the other tracks.

In conclusion, whilst Celestial does not achieve the title of a masterpiece in my eyes(that's what I would call Panopticon!), no Isis fan should ignore buying this album! The more beautiful side of the group will be better developed in the next full-length releases - Oceanic and the above-mentioned Panopticon, however, the scent of the musicians' Post-Rock influence can be felt here as well. A great release, however, if you are still unfamiliar with the group, I urge you to start with Panopticon - to witness Isis at their best. After that it is a wise choice to explore their catalogue in reversed chronological order, not missing out any EP's either.

Highly recommended!

Send comments to Trickster F. (BETA) | Report this review (#77229) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 05, 2006

Review by UMUR
3 stars Celestial is the debut album from post metal band Isis. Isis is a band I have heard and read a lot about in the recent years and a couple of years ago I borrowed Isis third album Panopticon from 2004. I could hear a lot of potential on that album, but after listening to Panopticon for a while I found that it didn´t really suit my taste. After seing that Isis is included on Prog Archives I have decided to start from an end and review all Isis albums and hopefully be positively surprised and ignite a new interest in the band.

The music on Celestial is generally slow to mid-tempo post metal with vocals. The music can seem a bit repetitive but it´s a characteristic feature in post metal and post rock. The riffs are very heavy and most of them are pretty great. Most of the songs have chrushingly heavy parts and slow minimalistic acoustic parts. C.F.T. (New Circuitry and Continued Evolution) is a bit different though as it is a post rock song without the heavy parts. The inclusion of this song is great for the diversity of the album. Deconstructing Towers is a slow dragging instrumental track that I could have done without while songs like Celestial (The Tower), Glisten, Swarm Reigns (Down) and especially Collapse and Crush are great post metal songs. There is a depressive and at times angry mood on the album and the shouting vocals emphasise that mood perfectly.

The musicianship is good and one of the things I enjoy the most is the drumming during the slow acoustic parts. It´s very heavy but also very inventive.

The production is a bit too low-fi for my taste when Isis play their acoustic parts but all in all the production is good. A larger than life production would have done the trick for me though.

My conclusion is that Celestial is a very good album in the post metal genre. I´m not particularly a fan of this genre, but I do enjoy this album as well as other albums in that style from bands like Neurosis and Omega Massif. The music is a bit too repetitive to really suit my taste but I´ll rate Celestial 3 stars as it is one of the better post metal albums I have heard so far. There are some really heavy stuff on this album that I enjoy very much.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#175325) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Isis is one of the few post-Neurosis bands that captured my attention. Not being a bit fan of post-metal and post-rock in general, Isis managed to create some albums that, while not highly original, are still excellently written, betraying a knack for songwriting that most bands in this field can only dream of.

The main purpose of this music is to be heavy, monolithic even. And in order to make the heaviness sound as heavy as possible, post-rock/metal always resorts to crescendos and endless quite/loud dynamics. Isis have the rare gift to be both adept at crushingly heavy doom rock and meaningful soff noodling. On further albums they would get even better at the soft parts.

Not every track on this album is equally inspired. Especially Celestial (The Tower), the softer C.F.T. and the epic Gentle Time are worth checking out. The remainder of the songs are competent but for fans of the style. Celestial is a good debut from one of the many Neurosis-inspired 00's bands. Mostly it makes for an appealing but not for what I would call a requiered listen.Unless you're a post-metal fan of course.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#266829) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review by sleeper
2 stars All bands have to start somewhere and in terms of recorded music this is where Isis began. Celestial provides a slice of Post Metal that is undeniably heavily infuesed with the sludgy, industrial feel of Neurosis, the progenetors of the Post Metal scene. But, to describe them as simply a Neurosis clone would be doing Isis quite the disservice as they are already adding something of their selves to the style with a higher level of detail in the quiter moments as well as a far broader pallette of sounds in the programming and samples department to flesh out the sound.

However, heaviness is quite definitely the name of the game with big, chugging, mid-tempo riffs from Aaron Turner and Mark Gallagher supported by Jeff Caxides pulsing bass lines dominating the album. Sadly though, this is part of Celestials undoing as the riffs are too repetative, lack for variation and outright development to truly lift the level of this album to something great. I cant help find the switches from the wall of sound to the calmer moments and back again to be largely clunky in feel and these problems all add up to kill the atmosphere of the album before its had a real chance to get a hold of the listener. All of these problems can be put down to the fact that they are a new band on this album and as such havnt had a chance to develop their skills in the art of composition, something they will rectify in the years to come. Mind you, its not all bad, not by a long shot. Celestial (The Tower), Swarm Reigns (Down) and Gentle Time are 3 excellent tracks. Swarm Reigns (Down) shows this Neurosis inspired style of Post Metal at its best, whilst Gentle Times points to things to come with an allecraty that is quite surprising. And then there's the title track, Clestial (The Tower). This magnificent piece of work shows the band at its best and the loose structure has made for ample oppurtunity for improvisation in their live shows (witness the 17 minute version the live album Live II), all of which has meant that this track has a remained a fan favourite and a staple of their live act for 10 years now.

An interesting debut but in the end it pales into comparison with what they wil be able to do on future releases. Celestial also marks the end of an era where Neurosis where the dominant force in Post Metal because from the bands next release, Oceanic, Isis will take that mantel. 2.5 stars, good but nothing special from a band capable of far more.

Send comments to sleeper (BETA) | Report this review (#281205) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010

4 stars Chugga-chugga-chugga; the perfect way to sum up Isis's unique interpretation of raw power. I've not heard Isis's other albums yet so cannot comment on their career as a whole but this album appealed to me from the very start. Through the wonders of Spotify I discovered the track Celestial (The ... (read more)

Report this review (#259348) | Posted by Citizen Erased | Monday, January 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After their second ep "Red Sea", which was released in 1999, Isis write the material for their first studio album, "Celestial". Jay Randall who had replaced Chris Mereschuk leaves the band. Cliff Meyer will come to fill this space and Cast Iron Hike's guitarist will also join. The line-up hasn ... (read more)

Report this review (#101765) | Posted by sularetal | Wednesday, December 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ISIS "Celestial"