H.P. LOVECRAFT

H.P. Lovecraft H.P. Lovecraft album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT Music
Studio Album, released in 1967

1. Wayfaring Stranger (2:35)
2. Let's Get Together (4:35)
3. I've Been Wrong Before (2:46)
4. Drifter (4:11)
5. That's the bag I'm In (1:46)
6. White Ship (6:37)
7. Country Boy and Bleeker Street (2:35)
8. Time Machine (2:05)
9. That's How Much I Love You, Baby... (3:55)
10. Gloria patria (Trad.) (0:26)

Search H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft lyrics

Search H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft tabs

- Clyde Bachand / tuba
- Tony Cavallari / guitar, vocals
- Ralph Craig / trombone
- Lenny Druss / clarinet, horn, horn (English), piccolo, saxophone (bass), saxophone (Tenor)
- George Edwards / bass, guitar, vocals, guitar (12 string)
- Jack Henningbaum / horn, French horn
- Eddie Higgins / vocals (bckgr), vibraphone
- Jerry McGeorge / bass, vocals
- Dave Michaels / organ, clarinet, piano, harpsichord, keyboards, recorder, vocals
- Michael Tegza / percussion, drums, vocals, tympani [timpani]
- Paul Tervelt / horn
- Bill Traub / wind, reeds (multiple)
- Bill Traut / percussion
- Paul Trevelt / French horn
- Herb Weiss / trombone

LP Philips 252, LP Philips 600-252 (1967)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

H.P. LOVECRAFT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft Music

Two Classic Albums from HP Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft/ H.P. Lovecraft IITwo Classic Albums from HP Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft/ H.P. Lovecraft II
Collector's Choice 2000
Live: May 11 1968Live: May 11 1968
Diablo Records UK 2000
H.P. LOVECRAFT s/t LP PHILIPS PHS 600-252 stereo original Canada import VG+ US $15.99 [7 bids]
40m 42s
H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft Ii [Vinyl New] US $50.32 Buy It Now 1h 57m
H.P. Lovecraft [Vinyl New] US $47.93 Buy It Now 1h 57m
H.P. LOVECRAFT (PSYC - DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE: THE COMPLETE PHILIPS - NEW CD US $10.59 Buy It Now 11h 21m
H.P.Lovecraft-H.P.Lovecraft II-'69 WEST COAST PSYCH-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 41m
H. P. Lovecraft's From Beyond Original Soundtrack. 1986 Enigma Records US $19.00 [1 bids]
H.P. Lovecraft - Call Of Cthulhu & Other Stor CD US $26.50 Buy It Now 1 day
H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $47.94 Buy It Now 1 day
H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft Ii Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $51.16 Buy It Now 1 day
H.P Lovecraft 1967 US LP Record PHS 600 - 252 VG+/ VG ROCK & ROLL! US $8.00 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD H.P. Lovecraft's FROM BEYOND Soundtrack/OST/LIMITED & NUMBERED/R. Band US $11.50 [7 bids]
H. P. LOVECRAFT (self titled) Reissue Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $32.84 Buy It Now 1 day
H.P. Lovecraft self titled Philips VG+ Jacket G US $34.68 Buy It Now 1 day
H.P. Lovecraft/H.P. Lovecraft II- H.P. Lovecraft (2-On-1 CD, 2001) Rare Psych!!! US $4.99 [1 bids]
H.P. Lovecraft "Valley Of The Moon" White Label Promo REPRISE 6419 NM- Top Copy US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT "HP LOVECRAFT" 1968 ORIGINAL 1ST PRESSING DEBUT LP NrMT+ / NrMT ! US $39.99 [0 bids]
H.P. LOVECRAFT "HP LOVECRAFT II" 1968 ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING "SEALED" LP - MINT US $75.00 [0 bids]
H.P. lovecraft S/T Philips PHS 600-252 STEREO LP Vinyl US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: H.p. Lovecraft LP (Euro, reissue) rare Rock & Pop US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT - Same - OOP #ED REIS on RADIOACTIVE SUPERB US PSYCH 1st LP 1967! US $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
H.P. Lovecraft At the Mountains of Madness LP, Edsel DED 256 US $19.99 [0 bids]
H.P. Lovecraft/H.P. Lovecraft II by H.P. Lovecraft (Psychedelic) (CD,... US $149.99 Buy It Now 6 days
H.P. Lovecraft H.P. Lovecraft (LP) US $44.40 Buy It Now 7 days
Psych H.P. LOVECRAFT Un-Used Promotional Store STAND-UP Display Jacket NO RECORD US $70.00 Buy It Now 7 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Pickman`s Muse DVD NEW US $13.13 Buy It Now 7 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Self titled PHS 600-252 STEREO Philips1st PRESS VG+ VINYL US $28.49 Buy It Now 7 days
VARIOUS ARTISTS - YOGSOTHERY (TRIBUTE TO H P LOVECRAFT) PT 1 - IVR004 US $17.76 Buy It Now 8 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT CD US PSYCH US $17.00 Buy It Now 8 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT II CD US PSYCH US $17.00 Buy It Now 8 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT Rock RECORD LP VG++ US $62.00 Buy It Now 8 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT WEST COAST PSYCH PICTURE DISC LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 9 days
OGHAM WAITE and the Amphibian Jazz Band Live at Gilman House H.P. Lovecraft HP US $75.00 Buy It Now 9 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT this is.... vol 2 LP 9 track stereo pressing matrix 1y/2y sleeve US $38.60 Buy It Now 10 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: 2 LP (Germany, reissue. gatefold cover) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 10 days
H.P. Lovecraft II 2 LP Philips phs 600-279 original 1968 psych nice copy US $28.00 Buy It Now 10 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1968 H.P. LOVECRAFT II PHS-600-276 Psych Rock US Gatefold US $22.50 Buy It Now 10 days
H.P. Lovecraft Promo LP with Gatefold Cover-H.P LOVECRAFT II STEREO US $17.00 Buy It Now 11 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Reprise LP-Valley of The Moon US $6.95 Buy It Now 13 days
, H.P. Lovecraft's from Beyond Audio CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 14 days
H. P. LOVECRAFT SELF PHS-600-252 VINYL LP 1967 PSYCH ROCK PLAYS GREAT! VG/VG!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 14 days
This is H.P. Lovecraft Vol.II Spin Spin Spin Philips UK Rare Shipping 6$ US $24.99 Buy It Now 14 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Dreams In The Witch House [CD New] US $13.57 Buy It Now 14 days
H.P. Lovecraft The Dunwich Horror LP David McCallum OOP rare cthulhu halloween ! US $229.00 Buy It Now 15 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Dreams In The Witch House CD US $20.54 Buy It Now 15 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Self Titled US $54.99 Buy It Now 15 days
H.P. Lovecraft Lp First Album Psych Classic Baroque Psych US $8.50 Buy It Now 16 days
Blue Cheer H.P. Lovecraft The Hello People Philips Demo Disc promo label LP NM US $20.00 Buy It Now 17 days
H. P. Lovecraft II 1968 Stereo LP PSYCH US $24.99 Buy It Now 17 days
H.P.Lovecraft-H.P.Lovecraft-'67 USA psych/folk-rock Haunting dark-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 17 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT (PSYC - VALLEY OF THE MOON - NEW CD US $10.93 Buy It Now 18 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: H.p. Lovecraft LP (few light seam tears, close to M-) rare Rock US $50.00 Buy It Now 18 days
the Dunwich Horror OST LP VC81103 1979 Les Baxter h.p. lovecraft rare vinyl WOW! US $139.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Psych H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft PHILIPS Stereo VG+ US $53.00 Buy It Now 20 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Self Titled-LP 1967 Philips PHS 600-252 US $29.99 Buy It Now 20 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT - PICKMAN'S MUSE NEW DVD US $17.46 Buy It Now 20 days
? (H.P.) Lovecraft - We Love You (Whoever You Are) (with Lalomie Washburn) US $14.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Valley of the Moon by H.P. Lovecraft (Psychedelic)/Lovecraft (CD, Apr-2008,... US $7.54 Buy It Now 21 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT S/T FIRST ALBUM PSYCH LP 1967 ORIGINAL RARE HP PHILIPS UK IMPORT US $125.00 Buy It Now 21 days
H.P. Lovecraft Haunter of the Dark Caedmon David McCallum 79 LP halloween SIGNED US $199.00 Buy It Now 23 days
HP LOVECRAFT This is H.P. Lovecraft - Sailing on the White Ship UK PHILIPS org! US $70.00 Buy It Now 24 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: Self Titled LP PHILLIPS RECORDS PHS 600252 US 1967 Stereo VG+ US $44.99 Buy It Now 24 days
H.P. Lovecraft Histo Call of Cthu Dreams in the Witch House - A Lovecraft CD SW US $16.95 Buy It Now 25 days
H P Lovecraft II 1968 Stereo LP VG+ PSYCH PROMO US $68.99 Buy It Now 26 days
H.P. Lovecraft- 2 Philips PHS-600-279 Psych/Acid At The Mountains Of Madness VG+ US $29.95 Buy It Now 27 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Live May 11 1968 (CD 1991) US $34.21 Buy It Now 28 days
LP H.P.LOVECRAFT - THIS IS VOL.2 - SPIN SPIN SPIN (PHILIPS 6336 213) UK US $34.21 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT 45 Blue Jack of Diamonds / Keeper of the Keys PHILIPS Psych #717 US $16.00 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Dreams In Witch House (Music CD) US $16.39 Buy It Now 28 days
Dreams in the Witch House:philips Rec - H.p. Lovecraft New & Sealed CD Free Ship US $24.91 Buy It Now 29 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT PSYCH 45 THE TIME MACHINE/WAYFARING STRANGER US $15.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Nox Arcana Necronomicon CD-Goth Halloween Cthulhu- H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos US $12.99 Buy It Now 29 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT - H.P. LOVECRAFT (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $63.98 Buy It Now 29 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT - H.P. LOVECRAFT II (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $67.43 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy H.P. LOVECRAFT music online Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for H.P. LOVECRAFT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4,5 stars really!!!!

This outstanding debut is from 67 and actually reaches even further ahead than Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow as far as groundbreaking is concerned. The superb and lenghty interplay on most songs leaves you wondering how these guys did not get propelled to superstardom the way some much less gifted groups did in those years.

Heavily leaning on folk - the album has two Fred Neil covers plus the standard Let's Get Together - this absolute and uncanny psychedelic record is simply marvellous from head to toe. From superb opener Wayfaring Stranger to stunning 6 min+ The White Ship (Bolero-paced with outstanding slow and hypnotic and haunting atmosphere), this album is loaded with superb, surprising, sublime and supreme covers of some classic songs, completely re-arranged (resembling somewhat to Vanilla Fudge's debut album although not quite as heavy, but just as spine-chilling) to the point that they could almost be considered as originals. Included in those is a superb rendition of Edmunsson's The Drifter (based on Hesse's Steppenwolf character), a very moody (and chilling with its superb flute) version of Randy Newman's I've Been Wrong Before and a short but stupendous album outro Gloria Patria Gregorian chants showing their incredible vocal harmonies and audacity. A wide array of instruments are used throughout from flutes to harpsichords to bells and chimes.

The only weaker track is a ragtime piece Time Machine, an original, but it is quickly forgotten and completely offset by the rest of the album. However it be unknown to the majority, this album is a real gem and IMHO, a historically important album, even if their second album actually tops this one.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#63691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 08, 2006

Review by Heptade
3 stars I'm much less impressed with this album than I'd like to be. The crux of the issue is that HP Lovecraft were legendary for having an eerie, mystical sound...honestly, I don't hear it. What we have is a bunch of fairly well- done folk-rock/early psych covers and a couple of originals. There nothing particularly psychedelic about songs by Fred Neil, a rootsy folk, or Let's Get Together, a song that was already cliched in the late 60s. The album has a nice, reverby sound like most early psych albums, which I do enjoy, but the material is mostly anything but surreal. There is a very good Jefferson Airplanish vocal blend between the two lead vocalists...in fact, Surrealistic Pillow or Jefferson Airplane Takes Off are excellent points of reference for this album. It's particularly frustrating for me, because only on the track "White Ship" do I find the band's reputation to be justified. This song has all the surreal, ominous atmosphere that I was led to expect by reading numerous reviews of the band's work. I wish they had pursued more of this and less unfocussed experiments like the lounge jazz of "That's How Much I Love you Baby" or the old timey "Time Machine". A decent psych album with an overblown reputation that doesn't really conjure the atmosphere of HP Lovecraft, the author, at all.

Send comments to Heptade (BETA) | Report this review (#65714) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 20, 2006

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
2 stars I can't understand why H. P. LOVECRAFT is catalogued as Proto Prog, IMHO the band never really came near to Progressive Rock, they were one of the most outstanding and iconic Psychedelic bands with hints of the British Invasion, so I believe they should be in Psyche/Space Rock, but this is a matter of opinions.

Their self titled debut starts with Wayfaring Stranger, a typical product of early Psychedelia, the vocal work is privileged over the jamming and trippy solos, and this is more evident in Let's Get Together, closer to HERMAN HERMITS than to any real Proto Prog band as PROCOL HARUM or to ARTHUR BROWN, solid sound, coherent melody and nice vocals but little exploration.

I've Been Wrong Before is an advance, even when there is a clear Country element,. the keyboards begin to get up with the music of the late 60's, reminds me a bit of Rick Wright's style but with some Country Troubadour in the vocals, interesting song with a terrible ending.

In Drifter, the band continues with the same formula, late British Invasion with early Psyche elements, this proves that they were not as advanced as people tend to believe, I think Dave Michaels would had done a better work on another band, this guys seemed too attached to the past and not ready to embrace the radical changes of their era.

The same comment goes for hat's the bag I'm Inand I White Ship, musically impeccable but nothing new, as a fact I believe they were years behind their peers, but on the other hand Country Boy and Bleeker Street is a very pleasant surprise, H. P. LOVECRAFT start to be really explorative, now not only the trippy organ but also the aggressive guitar a la Hendrix make us notice this guys had the ability to be part of the Psychedelic Experimental scenario, a great leap for them.

My initial impression of The Time Machine was of disappointment, if ELP included this vaudeville tracks consider fillers, but they had enough strong material to balance the album, something I honestly can't find in H. P. LOVECRAFT, but around the minute, there is a short but radical change, an obscure organ with some interesting vocals add a special interest to the track, sadly too short and soon they return to the boring filler, but at least they proved they were able to make some weird experiments.

I can just describe That's How Much I Love You, Baby (More or Less) as boring, predictable and years behind what they should be doing, the vocal work reminds me of backup singers for crooners, had to press the skip button to maintain my mental sanity. The album is closed with Gloria Patria a short Gregorian style track sung in Latin, I don't know if this 31 seconds will satisfy anybody, but they were doing something unexpected and imaginative and that's a great advance.

Until a few weeks ago I had a not so good impression of this band, but I kept saying that I required to listen their debut album to have a valid opinion, well I have done it repeatedly during the last month and I'm absolutely unimpressed, a good band, skilled musicians but who didn't dared to be different or to give the extra step required to be great.

Never before rating an album had been so hard, the guys of H. P. LOVECRAFT are very skilled and have a good sense of melody, but their music leaves me cold, they take almost no risks and the final product is disappointing, no inspiration, no passionate solos or brilliant jamming sessions, just good Rock, Country and early but conservative Psyche, good for 1964 maybe but not for 1967, so I can't go with more than 2 stars that could be 2.5 in the best scenario.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#189183) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 14, 2008

Review by ghost_of_morphy
4 stars There is a tendency for us reviewers to class anything and everything that we like as prog. Obviously, we are prog fans. Anything we love must be prog as well.

I'm here to tell you it just ain't so, but H. P. Lovecraft's debut is still a stunning album.

Most of this album is fantastically atmospheric psychedelic music with some folk roots. I suppose one could compare it with early Pink Floyd (with a dash of The Pentangle thrown in), but it's got a much more consistent sound. Excellent production, great compositions punched up with some nice (but not overstated) arrangements, and some EXTREMELY tight playing by these talented musicians makes this a gem. When I say consistent sound, I mean a CONSISTENT sound. Listening to Let's Get Together is an experience. These guys cover a standard and transform it in to a composition of their own in a way that has rarely been done. We are talking a cover as epic as Yes's version of America here, and way beyond anything Vanilla Fudge did with covers.

Anyhow, if you have even the faintest liking of the psychedelic sound, you will love this. The music isn't that complex, but it is impeccably played. These guys have chops! My own personal favorite is I've Been Wrong Before, but I may just be projecting my personal life into the music. Still the accuracy of the musicians blows me away on that track, as well as the others.

Four stars. If you are looking for prog, this isn't it. If you are looking for something that has some faint affinity with the roots of prog, you'll love it.

Send comments to ghost_of_morphy (BETA) | Report this review (#190293) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 23, 2008

Review by stefro
3 stars So, you're standing in a smoky hall in San-Francisco - probably the Fillmore West or some other notable venue - surrounded by a sea of counterculture kids donning tie-dye t-shirts who can be seen regularly ejecting plumes of blue smoke from their young mouths. Then, as the lights dim, you realise that the music is about to start. The stage lights turn down, the band enter the stage, the crowd cheer, the psychotropic drugs start to kick in and the music starts. Or so it would have seemed in 1969. San Francisco-based HP Lovecraft are one of a clutch of groups who, for some, seem to some up the West coast psychedelic sound that engulfed America and beyond in the late sixties. Though not as well known as some of their luminaries, the band still exhibited an experimental-pop sound that could only have been a product of this unique time. The likes of Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Jefferson Airplance, Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly espoused this new, free-thinking rock movement, filling the airwaves with blissful rock, bluesy rhythms, experimental madness and left-wing political ideology, thus giving birth to the new ideals that seem popular and mundane in our new, digital 21st century age. Never again will music as beautiful and as original as this be produced again, which is a terrible indictment on our modern society. That is not to say good music does not exist these days because it does, in abundance. It's just the creative freedom of yesterday has been replaced by the slavish commercial needs of both the record companies and the masses who purchase their products. HP Lovecraft came from a simpler time, a time when bands were mush more than commodoties; they were artists in their own write and their art defined a generation. 'HP Lovecraft 1' is a true example of this magical time and it's quality has lasted throughout the ages in the great songs that frequent it's track-listing, such as the ominous blues of 'Wayfaring Stranger' the ethereal and mysterious 'The White Ships', making up a dazzling 1960's album that is one of the many jewels in the psychdelic rock crown. STEFAN TURNER, LONDON, 2010

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#282720) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars H.P. Lovecraft: The man, the myth, the legend, the psychedelic rock band. As a first album in 1967, the band was immediately ambitious with their approach with its vast array of styles and instruments. The production was quite good for its time as well, and the musicians were tight in their playing; there's really not a sloppy moment to be found here. As a band though, going for a mellower approach to the psychedelic scene that was in full swing resulted in them not being so well remembered years later. As excellent as the band was performance-wise, they hardly showed off their skills with solos & such, thus I would have to say that their defining aspect would have to be their vocal harmonies, which ring similar to bands like Jefferson Airplane and even The Moody Blues. These guys can sing!

This debut has a fair share of covers, with the most familiar being hippie anthem Let's Get Together, which actually isn't so bad at all. A little strange though, almost like a mash up of the original song and the theme from "Friends", but not as horrifying as that description might imply. Some of these songs are catchier than others, and some of the songs are just oddball, especially towards the end of the album, when the band really starts bouncing around stylistically. You have a silly ragtime song with an even sillier 'acid trip' moment tossed into the middle of it, plus there's the Dean Martin on acid lounge of That's How Much I Love You, Baby..., and the last track is like some brief (but well done) Gregorian chant, which probably wasn't heard all that often in the rock scene back in 1967. But overall, there's nothing really captivating about this album to make it memorable or stick out in any way from the slew of other bands releases during that era...

Except for one thing...The White Ship. Pretty much the album's centerpiece and the longest track, this song is flat out greatness. Personally, I find it no surprise that the standout track by a band called H.P. Lovecraft would be the only song on the album that is based on the author's work, but regardless, this song is fantastic. Starting off with some chimes and a slow trippy pace, The White Ship possesses some stellar vocal work, Richard Wright style keyboards and some overall beautiful and haunting atmospheric passages. It's some great space rock (not proto-anything really) and if the band released a few more songs with that level of inspiration, they might have left a much better remembered legacy. Maybe more Lovecraft inspired tunes...a colour out of space, a whisperer in darkness, hanging out with an Innsmouth chick, anything related to the dude might have helped (they did go for the Mountains of Madness on their next effort), but at least we got The White Ship.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#439333) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Post a review of H.P. LOVECRAFT "H.P. Lovecraft"