LOVECRAFT / H.P. LOVECRAFT II

Proto-Prog

H.P. Lovecraft Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II  album cover

Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. Wayfaring Stranger (2:40)
2. Let's Get Together (4:39)
3. I've Been Wrong Before (2:49)
4. Drifter (4:15)
5. That's the Bag I'm In (1:47)
6. White Ship (6:37)
7. Country Boy and Bleeker Street (2:39)
8. Time Machine (2:09)
9. That's How Much I Love You, Baby (More or Less) (3:59)
10. Gloria Patria (:32)
11. Spin, Spin, Spin (3:23)
12. It's About Time (5:19)
13. Blue Jack of Diamonds (3:08)
14. Electrallentando (6:35)
15. At the Mountains of Madness (4:58)
16. Mobius Trip (2:44)
17. High Flying Bird (3:23)
18. Nothing's Boy (:40)
19. Keeper of the Keys (3:08)
20. Any Way That You Want Me (*) (2:42)
21. It's All over for You (*) (2:36)

Total Time:
*Bonus tracks on "Two Classic Albums from HP Lovecraft"

Search H.P. LOVECRAFT Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II lyrics

- Bill Traut / bells
- Herb Weiss / trombone
- Clyde Bachand / tuba
- Ralph Craig / trombone
- George Edwards / guitar (acoustic), guitarron, vocals, guitar (12 string acoustic), bass, guitar
- Jack Henningbaum / French horn
- Eddie Higgins / vibraphone, horn arrangements

CD Britonic 00010 (1997) *
CD Collectors' Choice Music 139 (2000)
* In 1997, Britonic released This Is H.P. Lovecraft/H.P. Lovecraft II, which contained two albums -- This Is H.P. Lovecraft (which is the same as H.P. Lovecraft), the band's first album from 1967, and H.P. Lovecraft II (1968), both originally released on Phillips.

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

H.P. LOVECRAFT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II Music

Two Classic Albums from HP Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft/ H.P. Lovecraft IITwo Classic Albums from HP Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft/ H.P. Lovecraft II
Collector's Choice 2000
Live: May 11 1968Live: May 11 1968
Diablo Records UK 2000
H P Lovecraft - Dreams in the Witch House US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 27m
OGHAM WAITE and the Amphibian Jazz Band Live at Gilman House H.P. Lovecraft HP US $75.00 Buy It Now 2 days
H.P. Lovecraft Promo LP with Gatefold Cover-H.P LOVECRAFT II STEREO US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Reprise LP-Valley of The Moon US $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
, H.P. Lovecraft's from Beyond Audio CD US $123.68 Buy It Now 2 days
H.p. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $51.99 Buy It Now 3 days
This is H.P. Lovecraft Vol.II Spin Spin Spin Philips UK Rare Shipping 6$ US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
H. P. LOVECRAFT SELF PHS-600-252 VINYL LP 1967 PSYCH ROCK PLAYS GREAT! VG/VG!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
H.P. Lovecraft The Dunwich Horror LP David McCallum OOP rare cthulhu halloween ! US $199.00 Buy It Now 4 days
H.P. Lovecraft II 2 1968 Record Psychedelic Rock Philips PHS 600-279 600279 US $49.90 [0 bids]
H.P. Lovecraft S/T 1967 Stereo Record Psychedelic Rock PHS 600-252 600252 US $49.90 [0 bids]
H.P. Lovecraft Valley Of The Moon reprise LP 1970 Psych Aorta Buckinghams US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Self Titled US $54.99 Buy It Now 4 days
HP H.P. LOVECRAFT THE HAUNTER OF THE DARK 1979 DAVID MCCALLUM LP HORROR RECORD US $30.00 [1 bids]
Live May 11, 1968 by H.P. LOVECRAFT (Psychedelic) CD 2000 EDSEL Diablo UK IMPORT US $30.00 [0 bids]
Viridian Green * Dagon * H.P. Lovecraft * CD NEW * Sleeve * Ambient Electronic US $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Blue Cheer H.P. Lovecraft The Hello People Philips Demo Disc promo label LP NM US $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
H. P. Lovecraft II 1968 Stereo LP PSYCH US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
HP Lovecraft LP H P Lovecraft II Nice 1968 Gatefold Orig! US $9.99 [0 bids]
H.P.Lovecraft-H.P.Lovecraft-'67 USA psych/folk-rock Haunting dark-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LP H.P.LOVECRAFT - THIS IS VOL.2 - SPIN SPIN SPIN (PHILIPS 6336 213) UK US $33.21 Buy It Now 6 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT'S THE DUNWICH HORROR. Read by David McCallum [12" LP Spoken Word] US $149.99 Buy It Now 7 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT (PSYC - VALLEY OF THE MOON - NEW CD US $10.93 Buy It Now 7 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: H.p. Lovecraft LP (few light seam tears, close to M-) rare Rock US $50.00 Buy It Now 7 days
H.P.Lovecraft record PHS 600-252 US $23.00 Buy It Now 8 days
the Dunwich Horror OST LP VC81103 1979 Les Baxter h.p. lovecraft rare vinyl WOW! US $139.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Psych H.P. LOVECRAFT H.P. Lovecraft PHILIPS Stereo VG+ US $53.00 Buy It Now 8 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Self Titled-LP 1967 Philips PHS 600-252 US $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
RICHARD BAND H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond OST Soundtrack Vinyl LP In Shrink Wrap US $40.00 Buy It Now 9 days
? (H.P.) Lovecraft - We Love You (Whoever You Are) (with Lalomie Washburn) US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Valley of the Moon by H.P. Lovecraft (Psychedelic)/Lovecraft (CD, Apr-2008,... US $7.54 Buy It Now 10 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT S/T FIRST ALBUM PSYCH LP 1967 ORIGINAL RARE HP PHILIPS UK IMPORT US $125.00 Buy It Now 10 days
H.P. Lovecraft Haunter of the Dark Caedmon David McCallum 79 LP halloween SIGNED US $199.00 Buy It Now 12 days
HP LOVECRAFT This is H.P. Lovecraft - Sailing on the White Ship UK PHILIPS org! US $70.00 Buy It Now 13 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: Self Titled LP PHILLIPS RECORDS PHS 600252 US 1967 Stereo VG+ US $44.99 Buy It Now 13 days
H P Lovecraft II 1968 Stereo LP VG+ PSYCH PROMO US $68.99 Buy It Now 15 days
H.P. Lovecraft - At The Mountains Of Madness [CD New] US $25.68 Buy It Now 15 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Live May 11 1968 (CD 1991) US $33.28 Buy It Now 17 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT 45 Blue Jack of Diamonds / Keeper of the Keys PHILIPS Psych #717 US $16.00 Buy It Now 17 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT PSYCH 45 THE TIME MACHINE/WAYFARING STRANGER US $15.00 Buy It Now 18 days
Nox Arcana Necronomicon CD-Goth Halloween Cthulhu- H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos US $12.99 Buy It Now 18 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT - H.P. LOVECRAFT (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $63.49 Buy It Now 18 days
H.P. Lovecraft [Vinyl New] US $48.99 Buy It Now 18 days
H.P.Lovecraft-H.P.Lovecraft II-'69 WEST COAST PSYCH-NEW LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 19 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Call Of Cthulhu & Other Stor CD US $26.50 Buy It Now 20 days
H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $49.58 Buy It Now 20 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Call Of Cthulhu & Other Stor Read BY William Roberts [CD New] US $26.49 Buy It Now 20 days
H. P. LOVECRAFT (self titled) Reissue Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $32.58 Buy It Now 20 days
H.P. Lovecraft self titled Philips VG+ Jacket G US $34.68 Buy It Now 20 days
AUTISM (Lithuania) - The Crawling Chaos - A Tribute To H.P.LOVECRAFT - the DOORS US $7.50 Buy It Now 20 days
H. P. Lovecraft The Rats In Walls read by David McCallum Caedmon tc1347 LP '73 ! US $85.00 Buy It Now 21 days
H.P. Lovecraft "Valley Of The Moon" White Label Promo REPRISE 6419 NM- Top Copy US $24.99 Buy It Now 21 days
H.P. lovecraft S/T Philips PHS 600-252 STEREO LP Vinyl US $49.99 Buy It Now 22 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: H.p. Lovecraft LP (Euro, reissue) rare Rock & Pop US $45.00 Buy It Now 22 days
H.P.LOVECRAFT THIS IS. VOL.II LP 1972 UK US $36.62 Buy It Now 25 days
Psych H.P. LOVECRAFT Un-Used Promotional Store STAND-UP Display Jacket NO RECORD US $70.00 Buy It Now 26 days
H.P. Lovecraft-Pickman`s Muse DVD NEW US $13.13 Buy It Now 26 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Dreams In Witch House (Music CD) US $19.96 Buy It Now 27 days
VARIOUS ARTISTS - YOGSOTHERY (TRIBUTE TO H P LOVECRAFT) PT 1 - IVR004 US $18.41 Buy It Now 27 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT Rock RECORD LP VG++ US $62.00 Buy It Now 27 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT WEST COAST PSYCH PICTURE DISC LP US $35.00 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P.LOVECRAFT - LIVE MAY 1968 - SUNDAZED US 1991 COLOURED WAX US $24.97 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P. Lovecraft - Self titled PHS 600-252 STEREO Philips1st PRESS VG+ VINYL US $21.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Dark Adventure Radio Theatre,H.P. Lovecraft,6 CD LOT with custom box US $87.00 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT this is.... vol 2 LP 9 track stereo pressing matrix 1y/2y sleeve US $35.67 Buy It Now 28 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT: 2 LP (Germany, reissue. gatefold cover) Rock & Pop US $25.00 Buy It Now 29 days
H.P. LOVECRAFT (PSYC - DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE: THE COMPLETE PHILIPS - NEW CD US $16.50 Buy It Now 29 days
H.P. Lovecraft/H.P. Lovecraft II by H.P. Lovecraft (Psychedelic) (CD,... US $149.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy H.P. LOVECRAFT music online Buy H.P. LOVECRAFT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for H.P. LOVECRAFT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

H.P. LOVECRAFT Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(57%)

H.P. LOVECRAFT Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II reviews

Review by Chris H
4 stars A great revival to psychedelia's past!

This was a very historic release, as it provided a much sought after option to hear some of the best psychedelic music to come out of the sixties. Ever since the individual albums "H.P. Lovecraft" and "H.P. Lovecraft II" went out of print and became tough to find, people seeking the true psych-folk experience of the late sixties missed these two groundbreaking releases. Now, thanks to Britonic, 1997 saw the re-release of the first two albums released by this amazing band. This is a very easy compilation to obtain, much easier than trying to track down the two original albums somewhere n the internet. Also, with the inclusion of two bonus tracks from the recording session, this becomes an essential package for anybody seeking the natural sounds of the sixties.

4 stars, undoubtedly a great addition to any collection, progressive or not!

Send comments to Chris H (BETA) | Report this review (#113187) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review by thellama73
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars When most people think about psychedelic rock from the sixties, it's a pretty good bet that H. P. Lovecraft is not one of the first names they come up with. Despite having a relatively successful couple of years, and two pretty solid albums, the band has largely been forgotten in the annals of rock history. That's a shame because, although their records don't exactly qualify as lost masterpieces, there is a lot to enjoy in their music. Luckily, those of us who wish to seek it out, can pick up this two-fer (can you tell I like these?) containing both of their studio records and a couple of singles.

The style of the band is basically psychedelic folk, but with a more complex instrumental palette than other similar groups. Rather than the standard folk dominated by acoustic guitars, H. P. Lovecraft employ many orchestral instruments as well as organ, piano and harpsichord. The sound is, however, not nearly so dark as their name implies. In fact many of the songs are (unfortunately) rather standard interpretations of popular folk songs. I find these a bit tedious, and the insipid peace-and-love lyrics of these hippies drives me nuts, but that's not the whole story.

Where the band really shine is on their original compositions, most notably the six and a half minute "The White Ship." The atmosphere of this track is one of mystical gloom, with french horns and ships bells droning on somberly. It's a really nice mood piece and the vocal harmonies are quite lovely. There's also an a capella rendition of the Gloria Patria prayer at the ned of the album which is pretty cool. Finally, the faux-twenties pastiche "Time Machine" is usually derided, but I find it quite fun, although strangely out of place on the record.

Thankfully, the second album shows the band in a more adventurous mood. After wading through a bit of folk nonsense at the beginning, we are treated to some real psychedelia. "Ellectrolentando," "At The Mountains of Madness," and "Mobius Trip" deliver a three-in-a-row punch of trippy atmospherics and gloomy dirges. There's also a forty second sound collage/recitation called "Nothing's Boy" that reminds me a lot of "In The Beginning" from the Moody Blues' "On The Threshold of a Dream." Actually, this group could be compared to the Moodies in a lot of ways, now that I think of it.

Folk is not a style of music that it is very easy for me to enjoy, and I find a lot of it dated and silly. Nevertheless, H. P. Lovecraft's expansion of the genre with inventive arrangements and progressive song structures is worth hearing, whether you are a fan of the genre or simply interested in the history of Psychedelia and Progressive rock.

Send comments to thellama73 (BETA) | Report this review (#369805) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 01, 2011

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars When I was young I had a poster. It was the poster of a concert of Pink Floyd, Captain Beefheart and H.P. Lovecraft. Being a fan of the writer I've always been curious about this band, too early for me to hear them on vinyl, so about two years ago I have found this compilation as nice price in a supermarket (incredible, isn't it?) and this is still all I have of this band.

I was expecting something more "horrorific" than this early psychedelia, but I like psych so I'm not disappointed at all. In terms of horrorific music, I think that Arzachel's Azatoth and mainly Shub Niggurath's "Yog Sototh" are more in line with the novels and the characters of the Providence's night owl.

The presence of a brass section is the link to the American R&B of the 60s. "Wayfaring Stranger" is enough to understand where we are. This song has an early psychedelic flavor deeply dated in its time and a bit of Grateful Dead influence.

I''ve been surprised by "Let's Get Together" because it's a song I already knew without knowing who the author was. The flute was an unusual instrument but it's not used in a very "progressive" way as Moody Blues started doing followed by Jethro Tull.

"I've Been Wrong Before" is the first song which deserves the attribute of proto-prog. It's possible that Roger Waters has been influenced by this song for Julia Dream. Or possibly it's just the flute which is very similar.

The following song "The Drifter" it's a typical west coast psych song with the brasses adding a touch of R&B. The bass line and the keyboard, however are remarkable. The first reminds to Pink Floyd again: a line that seems taken from a spy movie like on Lucifer Sam and a keyboard with a vibrato which sounds like Rick Wright on The Piper.

"That's The Bag I'm in" is a psych song less than two minutes long. Not bad.

"The White Ship" is another highlight. When a band of this kind writes a song longer than 3 minutes, and this scores above six, they have surely something interesting to put into it. Basing on this track only we may think to a full prog category. It's a song that could stay on the Renaissance's debut album. Between Yardbirds and prog folk with the keyboard playing a bolero tempo like the "It's A beautiful Day" on "Salaam Bombay".

"Country Boy and Bleeker Street" has a bit of funk and a very good guitar plus a very acid keyboard. Nice song between Jerry Garcia and the Doobie Brothers.

"The Time Machine" is a kind of a joke. A piano ragtime with the voice filtered by a megaphone which becomes a swing in New Orleans style. Arlo Guthrie was a master with this kind of things.

Another full prog song: "That's How Much I Love You Baby". A jazzy thing full of blues on which the band plays an excellent vocal performance. The guitar is as clean as a jazz guitar should be.

A short "gregorian chant" for 30 seconds, then "Spin Spin Spin". This is another song which would deserve a full prog category: prog folk. If anybody knows the very unfortunate band "Chimera", this song reminds to me the excellent works of Lisa Bankoff and Francesca Garnett but also Linda Perhacs. A pity the piano coda faded out.

"It's About Time" is another (relatively) long song of over 5 minutes. An acid song with semi- operatic vocals. I mean that it could stay in a musical soundtrack, I think to Hair. However it has the first very "psychedelic as we know it" instrumental part. In case Pink Floyd will decide to reunite, this Dave Michaels could be a perfect replacement for our beloved Rick Wright.

"Blue Jack Of Diamonds" is another excellent acid folk song. This second album is surely of more interest for proggers. Also the following "Electrollentando" deserves a mention. Somebody can call me mad, but this sounds quite Krautrock to me.

The first real reference to the writer to whom the band is inspired comes with "At The Mountains of Madness" that's also the title of one of the HPL novels. Effectively the high pitched organ and the discordant sounds give the idea. Loops, reversed tapes, this song is not at the level of the Arzachel's Azatoth but is good enough.

"Moebius Trip" is another good early psych song made of acoustic guitar and choir supported by a piano. Son of its times.

"High Flying Bird" has a different instrumentation but looks like the follow-up to the previous song. I'm imagining how Chappo Chapman's voice could have sounded with this band. They are not much far from Family in this second album of the compilation.

45 seconds of psych in Hawkwind style: a bass voice repeats zero while a narrator speaks about "Nothing's Boy".

"Keeper Of The Keys" is another title referring to HPL (the writer) and the song reminds to the Family more than anything else on this compilation.

Two bonus tracks complete the compilation: "Anyway That You Want Me" and "It's All Over For You". Listening to those two songs I have the impression that they may have been a single published before the two albums. The first is a song of a kind the 60s were full of. The second could be early Rolling Stones or the Animals (in particular their cover of Bob Dylan's "It's all over now Baby Blue").

Some songs are very good, but even with some songs which could seem seminal I think this compilation fits well in the "good but non essential" definition, but if you like the genre it's an album which can deserve some bucks with no regrets. I have personally enjoyed it a lot.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#832662) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2012

Post a review of H.P. LOVECRAFT "Lovecraft / H.P. Lovecraft II "