THE PEEL SESSIONS

Krautrock

Can The Peel Sessions album cover

Buy CAN Music
Live, released in 1995

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
2. Return To BB City (8:26)
3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
5. Geheim (half past one) (6:42)
6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

1973 - February 20 (#1)
1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

Search CAN The Peel Sessions lyrics

Search CAN The Peel Sessions tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1)

CD Strange Fruit SFR CD 135 (1995)

Thanks to syzygy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN The Peel Sessions Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Vinyl$17.39
Monster MovieMonster Movie
Vinyl$17.49
SPARKS - THE BEST OF SPARKS: MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO - NEW CD US $12.94 Buy It Now 29m 30s
Eric Carmen 45 Heaven Can Wait/Baby,I Need Your Love 1978 Arista Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 29m 44s
Zelda - Can't Talk Now / Prowler 12" W/Lbl US $13.40 Buy It Now 29m 50s
RAGHAV - CAN'T GET ENOUGH 12" SIGNED Mushtaq Fun-Da-Mental Iceberg Slimm Sinergy US $12.18 Buy It Now 29m 54s
BLANCMANGE-I CAN SEE IT PROMO 12" SINGLE BLANX 11 PROMO US $8.51 Buy It Now 31m 22s
Archie Bell & The Drells 45 "I Can't Stop Dancing" US $4.49 Buy It Now 31m 32s
Virgin Records Dance Hits CD - All Nite - Janet Jackson, Can't Go On - Allie US $5.00 [0 bids]
32m 4s
CAROL HUGHES CONGRATULATIONS-I CAN TELL 45 VG++ ROCK RCA VICTOR 47-7763 US $2.99 [0 bids]
32m 44s
The Troggs Gonna Make You/I Can't Control Myself 45 US $12.00 Buy It Now 32m 48s
BEATLES - CAN'T BUY ME LOVE / YOU CAN'T DO THAT 45 CAPITOL GREEN VINYL MINT 1994 US $24.95 Buy It Now 33m 37s
Roy Hamilton You Can Have Her/Abide With Me 45 RPM W/PS US $15.00 Buy It Now 34m 33s
ELVIS PRESLEY ~ Rock-A-Hula-Baby/Can't Help... picture sleeve (NM) ~ RCA 47-7968 US $29.00 Buy It Now 35m 18s
MARIJOHN WILKIN ~ What Can I Do To Please You ~ popcorn 45 COLUMBIA 41501 US $18.00 Buy It Now 35m 18s
BARBARA LYNN ~ Don't Be Cruel/You Can't Be Satisfied ~ R&B promo ~ JAMIE 1244 US $10.00 Buy It Now 35m 19s
Cyprus presents Michael James Nigro Only Love Can Break Your Heart NEW VINYL DJG US $11.99 Buy It Now 35m 32s
Maps - We Can Create (NEW CD) US $11.76 Buy It Now 36m 15s
Kym Mazelle No One Can Love You More Than Me (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $11.37 Buy It Now 37m 36s
Sopor Aeturnus Ehjeh Ascher Ehjeh CD Rare! Dead Can Dance Clan of Xymox Swans US $9.99 [0 bids]
37m 51s
THE WHO. I CAN'T EXPLAIN. LIVE. EXCELLENT PLUS CONDITION. US $16.23 [0 bids]
38m 16s
The New Faces - We can get there by candlelight US $2.84 [0 bids]
38m 45s
Love Album CDs x 2 double CD. Approx 40 tracks each. Can split. VG cond. US $3.25 [0 bids]
39m 53s
Eternal CDs x 2. Always & Forever / Before The Rain. Female pop 90s. Can split. US $6.50 [0 bids]
39m 58s
M People CDs x2. Bizarre Fruit / Best Of. Pop rock female 90s. Can split. US $6.50 [0 bids]
40m 12s
ELVIS COSTELLO-I CAN'T STAND UP FOR FALLING DOWN-2 TONE(WITHDRAWN)-**NICE COPY** US $84.46 [6 bids]
40m 37s
Miley Cyrus / Can't Be Tamed KOREA CD NEW US $17.99 Buy It Now 41m 13s
GALE EASON I can see the Hurt 1974 NM dj PROMO Epic 5-11124 classic soul LISTEN US $17.49 Buy It Now 41m 44s
DÉMESURE- RARE FRENCH QUEBEC ROCK JAZZ GARAGE-PRIVATE LABEL CAN.LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
43m 7s
Thelma Carpenter, Bill/Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man, Majestic 1028 US $4.00 Buy It Now 43m 16s
Can - Anthology (NEW CD) US $17.44 Buy It Now 44m 21s
Dead Can Dance - Spleen And Ideal (NEW CD) US $14.20 Buy It Now 44m 54s
Dead Can Dance - The Serpents Egg (NEW CD) US $14.20 Buy It Now 45m 9s
Aiden John Moffat - I Can Hear Your Heart (NEW CD) US $13.38 Buy It Now 45m 10s
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser (NEW CD) US $14.20 Buy It Now 45m 13s
Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within (NEW CD) US $14.20 Buy It Now 45m 13s
Robert Wyatt - Nothing Can Stop Us (NEW CD) US $18.26 Buy It Now 45m 42s
Maurice Rocco, I Can't Get Started/Blue Skies, Musicraft 427 US $4.00 Buy It Now 46m 10s
Johnny Guarnieri, Nice Work If You Can Get It/Exactly Like You, Majestic 1135 US $4.00 Buy It Now 46m 19s
Can - Unlimited Edition (7/17/12) US $11.49 Buy It Now 46m 27s
La Coka Nostra - Brand You Can Trust [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 46m 30s
HI-GATE I Can Hear Voices / Caned and Unable 12" Vinyl Record EAN:5060003070962 US $6.48 Buy It Now 46m 36s
UK UNITED ARTISTS-CAN-SPOON / I`M SO GREEN-EX US $24.35 [0 bids]
46m 49s
Tha Liks The Best U Can US $7.00 Buy It Now 47m 6s
FIVE STAR (5 STAR) Can't Wait Another Minute 7" Single Vinyl Record Tent 1986 EX US $9.73 Buy It Now 47m 9s
THREE DOG NIGHT I CAN HEAR YOU CALLING JOY TO WORLD DUNHILL RECORDS 45 G/VG-! K US $7.99 Buy It Now 47m 29s
JAMES BAKER EXPERIENCE - I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF 7" 1985 NM/NM RED EYE US $30.00 Buy It Now 47m 31s
Fred Knoblock - Why Not Me / Can I Get A Wish 45 1980 US $0.99 Buy It Now 47m 40s
Classic Commercials inc Can-Can Carmina Burana Peer Gynt Nutcracker + LP US $9.74 Buy It Now 47m 51s
Girls Aloud CDs x 2. Greatest Hits / Out Of Control. Cheryl Cole. Can split. US $4.87 [0 bids]
47m 55s
BROTHER CAN YOU SPARE A DIME? by the 1930s -the 1930's CD ALBUM - 12 tracks 2004 US $5.95 Buy It Now 48m 3s
Mantovani World Of inc Some Enchanted Evening Hava Nagila Can-Can Cara Mia + LP US $9.74 Buy It Now 48m 5s
You Can Be Anyone This Time Around by Timothy Leary 1992 Ryko CD LSD US $11.95 Buy It Now 49m
PHIL FEARON I Can Prove It 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm Ensign 1986 US $9.73 Buy It Now 49m 14s
Freddie Fisher, I Can't Leave My Girl Behind/Barbara, Decca 5374 US $8.00 Buy It Now 49m 18s
JOE COCKER-I CAN STAND A LITTLE RAIN 1974 A&M RECORDS LP SP-3633 EXC. NEAR Mint US $2.99 [0 bids]
49m 41s
Northern soul YOUNG HOLT UNLIMITED Yes We Can COTILLION M- DJ hear soundclip US $20.00 Buy It Now 50m 12s
QUATUOR MOISAN-DON HABIB,NICK AYOUB-JAZZ QUARTET-CAN. LP MINT SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
50m 26s
Can't Stand the Weight of the,Artist - Handfullaflower, in Good condition CD US $3.87 Buy It Now 50m 28s
Can't Breathe by Boiler Room - rock metal CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 50m 33s
Queensryche- Best I Can 7" UK Promo US $5.00 [0 bids]
50m 45s
ORANGE JUICE - YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR LOVE FOREVER [887830004916] - NEW CD US $19.10 Buy It Now 51m 1s
I can't let you go - Ian Van Dahl 2003 CD single US $1.61 [0 bids]
51m 28s
45 RECORD HERMAN'S HERMITS: I CAN TAKE OR LEAVE YOUR LOVING, MARCEL'S US $2.98 Buy It Now 51m 35s
Sam Phillips Baby I Can't Please You (promo) CD Single Virgin DPRO 14175 1994 US $4.99 Buy It Now 51m 42s
Maurice Rocco, On The Sunny Side Of The Street/You Can Depend On Me, Musicraft US $4.00 Buy It Now 52m 23s
Lp-JOE COCKER- I Can Stand A Little Rain-1974 You Are So Beautiful US $8.99 Buy It Now 53m 8s
Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll + NEW CD US $14.07 Buy It Now 54m 21s
R&B 45 - Etta & Harvey - If I Can't Have You - 1960 US $0.75 [0 bids]
55m 2s
Real Thing, The- Can You Feel The Force? 7" US $6.50 Buy It Now 55m 33s
Weird War - If You Can'T Beat 'Em; Bite 'Em (NEW CD) US $20.69 Buy It Now 56m 22s
Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying S (NEW CD) US $14.20 Buy It Now 56m 24s
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down [CD New] US $5.31 Buy It Now 56m 34s
Papercuts - You Can Have What You Want [CD New] US $17.96 Buy It Now 56m 35s
Dian Hill - Can't Get Enough / What Could I Say But Yes 45 7" NM Kasara ARM-8029 US $6.50 Buy It Now 56m 36s
Brotherhood Of Man - Figaro / You Can Say That Again 45 7" Pye 7N 46037 US $6.50 Buy It Now 56m 36s
Lio - Can Can [CD New] US $16.99 Buy It Now 56m 44s
Cass Daley - You Can't Blame A Girl For Tryin' [CD New] US $11.24 Buy It Now 56m 46s
Madonna - You Can Dance [CD New] US $9.89 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Hadda Brooks, Can You Look Me in the Eyes/Lazy Boogie, Modern Hollywood 20-766 US $4.00 Buy It Now 57m 26s
Moby Why Can't It Stop 12" Edel EDL-SI-PR11 2000 Vinyl US $5.99 Buy It Now 57m 35s
Lucky Millinder, More, More, More/How Big Can You Get, Little Man?, Decca 23825 US $5.00 Buy It Now 57m 42s
Okee Dokee Brothers - Can You Canoe? [CD New] US $16.95 Buy It Now 57m 56s
A Can of Bees by The Soft Boys (Vinyl, Jan-2011, Yep Roc) US $10.00 [0 bids]
58m 29s
Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind by Christine Lavin (CD, Dec-1988, Rounder... US $6.99 Buy It Now 58m 30s
The Morning After / You Can't Hurt Steel JAPAN+3 NEW PROMO!!!!! *A US $24.99 Buy It Now 58m 54s
Ken Navarro - I Can't Complain [CD New] US $17.28 Buy It Now 59m 27s
BEATLES CAPITOL5371 8 DAYS A WEEK M- CAN $50.00 US $50.00 Buy It Now 59m 34s
NATURES DEVINE / I JUST CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF / 1979 12" DISCO BOOGIE US $12.98 Buy It Now 59m 36s
Elaine Lachica - I Think I Can See The Ocean [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 59m 40s
Van Der Graaf Generator - Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other [Vinyl New] US $29.81 Buy It Now 59m 41s
ELVIS: I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVIN' b/w HOW THE WEB WAS WOVEN (RCA 2158) US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h
GUY NADON ET LA POLLUTION DES SONS-JAZZ DRUMMER-CAN. LP NM IN SHRINK US $7.99 [0 bids]
1h
Ssol (Smooth Stylez Of Life) - Can't Knock The Hustle [CD New] US $9.66 Buy It Now 1h
RAE,DINA-AND (X3) / CAN`T EVEN SEE IT / HIT OF... 12` Single NEW US $8.76 Buy It Now 1h
BRANDT, PAUL-SMALL TOWN & BIG DREAMS (CAN) CD NEW US $23.98 Buy It Now 1h
CANDY FLIP, STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER (BEATLES SONG) / CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE US $1.61 [0 bids]
1h
TEXAS-CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR (CAN) (ENG) CD NEW US $14.79 Buy It Now 1h
SABOURIN,MICHEL-VOL. 2-TECHNIQUES DE RELAXATION (CAN) CD NEW US $34.56 Buy It Now 1h
BEXTOR,SOPHIE ELLIS-SHOOT FROM THE HIP (BONUS TRACK) (CAN) CD NEW US $14.88 Buy It Now 1h
Kathryn Bild - Whole World Can Be Your Sweetheart [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Susan Anders-You Can Close Your Eyes: Lullabies CD NEW US $17.73 Buy It Now 1h 2m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN The Peel Sessions ratings distribution

CAN The Peel Sessions reviews

Review by Syzygy
4 stars In the early 70s, British DJ John Peel was a great supporter of what later became known as Krautrock and Can recorded four sessions for his show (15 - 20 minutes recorded live at BBC studios) from 1973 - 5. Can's albums were all recorded at their own studio with Holger Czukay producing, so this really captures them in an unfamiliar setting. Can always incorporated a lot of improvisation in their shows, and most of the music on this CD is what Holger Czukay called 'spontaneous compositions.'

The CD starts with a lengthy piece from what is generally regarded as the classic Can line up with Damo Suzuki on vocals. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (possibly named for DJ Anne Nightingale) starts rather tentatively with some of Karoli's trademark blues raga guitar, before quickly hitting a Future Days style groove. Czukay and Liebezeit hold down the rhythm, while Karoli and Suzuki free form all over the place and Schmidt adds odd washes of colour from his keyboards. This is Can at the top of their game, demonstrating an almost telepathic interplay and conjuring up mind spinning sounds apparently out of thin air, although the fact that they had been playing together 10 hours a day for several years probably helped. When the piece fades out at 18.46 you're left with the feeling that they'd just got started and there was much more to come. The next two tracks were recorded 18 months later, and bear a strong resemblance to side 2 of Soon Over Babaluma. Return to BB City is a low key piece which recalls Quantum Physics, dominated by Schmidt's ghostly keyboards and Liebezeit's understated percussion. Tape Kebab is a fuzz guitar led freak out in the mould of Chain Reaction, but even more intense - this is one of Karoli's finest moments as a guitarist. Tony Wanna Go was recorded 9 months earlier, and is another long improvisation with some jaw dropping moments. Suzuki may have left, but in 1974 Can had lost none of their drive and fire. The last two tracks were recorded in 1975 at around the time of Landed, and show the band just past their peak. Geheim (Half Past One), as the title implies, is a reworking of Half Past One from Landed and features Michael Karoli on vocals - it's atmospheric stuff, but lacks the intensity of what went before. The last track is based around Irmin Schmidt's piano playing, and there is a splendid interplay with Karoli's guitar. It's highly structured and probably the closest thing to mainstream prog on the album, but as with Geheim there's a feeling that the band have lost some of their other worldliness and that they have started playing safe.

This is an excellent collection of largely original material from one of the seminal Krautrock bands, and shows their development over 2 years and 3 studio albums. Few of their contemporaries had such a talent for improvisation - King Crimson were probably the only other band at the time who had the same kind of interplay - but very little of their spontaneous music has been officially released. This album shows just how good they could be. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#63166) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2006

4 stars It's such a shame that CAN didn't release some official live albums during their peak in the seventies. This was really the first one but it wasn't released until 1995. The Peel Sessions that these tracks were taken from happened from four different visits by the band between February of 1973 to May of 1975. Only one track features Damo on vocals and all but one of these tracks is a improv, so all new material for the CAN fan. It just seems so adventerous to me for these guys to go to the UK and go on John Peel's show and not play songs that they and their fans were familiar with. These guys rank right up there with KING CRIMSON for having balls of steel in doing such things. I must admit that at times this doesn't even sound like CAN.

"Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne" is the almost 19 minute opener with Damo on vocals.This is from February of 1973. A beat with vocals kicks in just before a minute as bass and guitar help out as well. It settles back just before 5 minutes. Guitar and drums to the fore around 7 minutes. Check out Damo a minute later ! They continue to jam the rest of the way. "Return To BB City" and the next track are from October of 1974. Atmosphere to start as different sounds come and go. I'm surprised at how spacey and atmospheric this is as Schmidt works his magic. "Tape Kebab" has this relaxed beat with laid back guitar. The sound becomes fuller. I really like this. An electronic sounding beat after 6 minutes joins in. Karoli starts to rip it up after 7 minutes. Great track !

"Tony Wanna Go" is from January of 1974 and is the second longest track at 14 1/2 minutes. A relaxed beat with guitar leads as spacey sounds sweep through. The guitar and beat become more prominant as they continue to jam. "Geheim (Half Past One)" is a re-worked version of "Half Past One" from "Landed". This and the final track are from May of 1975. We get reserved vocals from Karoli as intricate sounds including xylophone-like sounds come and go. "Mighty Girl" has this piano led intro. This is CAN ?! Guitar joins in as well.

Without question a must for CAN fans although right now this is a tough one to track down.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#833500) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

5 stars This was the first CAN album I heard. The first time I listened to it I was ROTFLMAO! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not. But once my laughing fit was exhausted and I was laying on the floor, I was transported on one of the finest musical journeys of my life. Why some ... (read more)

Report this review (#170429) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "The Peel Sessions"