THE PEEL SESSIONS

Krautrock

Can The Peel Sessions album cover

Buy CAN Music
Live, released in 1995

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
2. Return To BB City (8:26)
3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
5. Geheim (half past one) (6:42)
6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

1973 - February 20 (#1)
1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

Search CAN The Peel Sessions lyrics

Search CAN The Peel Sessions tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1)

CD Strange Fruit SFR CD 135 (1995)

Thanks to syzygy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN The Peel Sessions Music

Vinyl$17.49
SoundtracksSoundtracks
Vinyl$17.49
Dr. Hook/Doin' It - Girls Can't Get It US $1.49 Buy It Now 31m 53s
Andrew Jackson Jihad ?Can't Maintain LP NEW 6th Pressing /500 RED VINYL US $24.99 [0 bids]
33m 12s
BACCARA. YES SIR, I CAN BOOGIE/CARA MIA. 45. GERMANY.AMIGA. DISCO US $7.50 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Azaleas 45 "Our Drummer Can't Keep Time/Hands Off" ROMULUS girl group bopper US $18.50 [2 bids]
39m 24s
CHRISTINA HANSEN ANY FOOL CAN TELL / MIXED EMOTION SWEDEN PS 7" 1982 ITALO US $17.99 Buy It Now 51m 1s
WEIRD WAR, IF YOU CAN'T BEAT EM BITE EM, NEW CD US $16.05 Buy It Now 51m 16s
Nelson - Only Time Will Tell / Can't Live Without Your Love & Affection 45 VG+ US $1.39 Buy It Now 56m 29s
Dean Martin "you can't love em all" Classic Vintage original record. US $18.99 [0 bids]
58m 34s
TIM CHAD & SHERRY - Baby We Can Work it Out 2010 CD US $0.01 [0 bids]
59m 23s
BILLY IDOL- CD Promo SINGLE- 'CAN'T BREAK ME DOWN'-NEW US $47.30 [8 bids]
1h
LP * Kid N Play * 2 Hype . Gettin Funky . Can You Dig That. CTLP10 US $21.19 Buy It Now 1h 2m
PLAY'N TALK PHONICS Now Everyone Can Read Series 1 LP COOL ORANGE SPLATTER WAX US $14.96 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BOYSTOWN GANG - CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU ERC 101 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 US $4.55 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Can't Fight Fate, Taylor Dayne, Good US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
PHYLLIS HYMAN - CAN'T WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN (1981/1999) japan cd NORMAN CONNORS US $19.99 [0 bids]
Capital Tax I Can't Believe It Hip Hop Cassette Tape Single US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN FIGARO / YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN VINYL 7" SINGLE US $2.84 Buy It Now 1h 24m
JEFFERSON STARSHIP * 45 * Can't Find Love * 1982 * USA MINT UNPLAYED * DJ PROMO US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
It Can Happen to Anyone by Elisabeth Withers Japan(Promo)CD+1 bonus W/OBI New US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 31m
P!nk - Can't Take Me Home (2000) US $2.04 [0 bids]
CROWN G'S - I CAN'T STOP WANTING YOU * SOUL FUNK 7" 45 US $13.41 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Can't Do Right For Doing Wrong, Erin Rocha, Good Single US $4.44 Buy It Now 1h 37m
DAMIER CAN YOU FEEL IT CD SINGLE RARE 1992 US $32.61 Buy It Now 1h 44m
MC HAMMER cd U CAN'T TOUCH THIS pray PRINCE have you seen her PLEASE DNT HURT EM US $8.99 [0 bids]
Trash Can Sinatras - Zebra Of The Family - Demos and Debris (2CD) US $39.13 Buy It Now 1h 51m
GENESIS cd WE CAN'T DANCE Jesus he knows me HOLD ON MY HEART never a time US $8.99 [0 bids]
DIANA ROSS and the SUPREMES best of CD BABY LOVE come see about me CAN'T HURRY US $8.99 [1 bids]
Bobby Marchan ~45~ I Can't Stop Loving You ~Ace 532 ~M- US $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
33 RPM RECORD/5) LYNN ANDERSON/ ROSE GARDEN/HOW CAN I U US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER? - Margot Grahame - ILLEGAL - Film sheet music US $22.84 Buy It Now 1h 57m
PHIL COLLINS, YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE / I CANNOT BELIEVE 1982 7"x45rpm RECORD US $4.46 Buy It Now 1h 58m
New Shiro SAGISU Music from EVANGELION 3.0 YOU CAN NOT REDO OST CD Japan US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
PRINCE CHARLES & CITY BEAT BAND - We Can Make It Happen (7" Vinyl PS 1986) Ex/Ex US $1.61 [0 bids]
Chris Difford - Cashmere If You Can CD US $18.04 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Death Cab For Cutie - You Can Play These Songs With Chords CD US $15.89 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Gary Numan(7" Vinyl)I Can't Stop-Numa/PRT-NU 17-UK-VG/Ex US $4.88 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Gerald Alston(7" Vinyl)Nothing Can Change-Motown-ZB44945-UK-VG+/VG US $8.14 Buy It Now 2h 8m
M People(7" Vinyl)How Can I Love You More?-Deconstruction-PB44855-UK-VG/Ex US $6.51 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Shalamar(7" Vinyl)I Can Make You Feel Good-Solar-K12599-UK-VG/VG US $4.88 Buy It Now 2h 8m
ROD STEWART cd EARLY YEARS LIVE Can I Get a Witness SHAKE Bright Lights Big City US $7.99 [0 bids]
Prince Charles & The City Beat Band : We Can Make It Happen : 12'' Vinyl EP US $9.44 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Folly & The Hunter - Tragic Care (Vinyl) Import-CAN Vinyl Record LP US $26.04 Buy It Now 2h 10m
PIPER-BILLY SQUIER-3 LP'S-VINYL-CAN'T WAIT-EMOTIONS IN MOTION-SIGNS OF LIFE-U.S. US $7.35 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Kaz James Feat Macy Gray Can't Hold Back Australian CD Single US $9.65 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
GREY & HANKS-DANCIN' / HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT LOVE-1978-12"-CAN-WorlShip$10.00 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS-WHEN YOU'RE FAR AWAY-12"PROMO-1983-CAN-WorldShip$10.00 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
FARLEY "JACKMASTER" FUNK-LOVE CAN'T TURN AROUND-1986-12"-CAN-WShip$10.00-EU$9.00 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
THE WEATHER GIRLS-SUCCESS(SPECIAL VERSION)-1983-12" PROMO-CAN-Ship$10.00-EU$9.00 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
PETER GRIFFIN-STEP BY STEP / DEVIL'S RECEPTION-12"-CAN-WorldShip$10.00-EU$9.00 US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
ELVIN SHAAD-LIVE FOR LOVE-LP-1978-CAN-GATEFOLD-WorldShip$10.00-EuropeUnion$9.00 US $8.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA-ELO-CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY LIFE-7" SINGLE-PS-WL PROMO! US $9.19 Buy It Now 2h 18m
ELVIS PRESLEY-CAN'T HELP FALING IN LOVE-ROCKA HULA BABY-7" SINGLE-PS-1ST PRESS US $11.03 Buy It Now 2h 18m
JIMMY SOUL-TWISTIN' MATILDA-I CAN'T HOLD OUT ANY LONGER-WL PROMO-7"-S.P.Q.R. US $11.03 Buy It Now 2h 18m
WAS NOT WAS-LOT OF 7 12" SINGLES-ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN-WALK THE DINOSAUR-VINYL US $11.03 Buy It Now 2h 18m
PROMO Margaret Whiting "Can This Be Love/Al Ther Is And Then Some"50'sCapitol7" US $6.44 [0 bids]
Can't Live Without It by Pajama Party (CD, Mar-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.01 [0 bids]
Arabesque / MAKE LOVE WHENEVER YOU CAN JAPAN 7"single VIPX-1539 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
BAD MANNERS 7" vinyl record CAN CAN / ARMCHAIR DISCO US $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Portrait - I Can Call You (CD) 4 Tracks - Mint/New - Fast Postage US $8.14 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Can You Feel It by Charles Feelgood (CD, Nov-2000, Moonshine Music) US $1.99 [0 bids]
999 "Feelin' Alright.../Titanic /You Can't Buy Me" 1978 United Artist 7" US $6.36 [0 bids]
THE WHO, I CAN SEE FOR MILES, ORIG. 1967 SINGLE US $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Corey Hart 7" Promotional 45 Single Can't Help Falling In Love EMI P-B-8368 NFS US $0.99 [0 bids]
1987 BANANARAMA I Can't Help It UK 45 London NANGF 15 EX/EX Poster Sleeve US $9.25 Buy It Now 2h 37m
New Wave Hits Of The 80's Vol. 2 Just Can't Get Enough CD Joy Division Split Enz US $19.75 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Celine Dion Cassette 1992 Love Can Move Mountains, If I Were You, With This Tear US $5.00 [0 bids]
All You Can Eat by Steel Panther (Audio CD) US $15.83 Buy It Now 2h 41m
New Wave Hits Of The 80's Vol. 10 Just Can't Get Enough CD Taco Adam Ant Call US $19.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
IT CAN'T BE WRONG Sheet music BETTE DAVIS,PAUL HENREID US $19.57 Buy It Now 2h 43m
New Wave Hits Of The 80's Vol. 14 Just Can't Get Enough CD Art Of Noise Truth US $19.75 Buy It Now 2h 48m
EDDY GRANT, TILL I CAN'T TAKE LOVE NO MORE, 7" SINGLE. P/S US $2.85 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Ash - You can't have it all UK GATEFOLD 7" US $6.51 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Ash - You can't have it all UK RED 7" & POSTER US $6.51 Buy It Now 2h 51m
MILEY CYRUS Can't Be Tamed DELUXE Edition CD DVD Live O2 31 tracks AS NEW US $5.36 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Can : Soon Over Babaluma CD (1997) US $10.19 Buy It Now 2h 59m
KATY ROSE - Because I Can - CD EC A1-02 US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h
Jimmy Helms " Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse 7" 45 Vinyl Record 1973 US $1.61 [0 bids]
Vitamin Z Can't Live Without You (PS) 7" Single US $8.16 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Jimmy Helms When Can Brown Begin 7" Single US $7.32 Buy It Now 3h 6m
The Real Thing Can You Feel The Force(PS) 7" Vinyl Sing US $6.52 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Johnny Nash I Can See Clearly Now (PS) 7" Single US $7.32 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Can't Beat The Music 1992 Volume 1 CD Kylie Minogue The Agels KLF Dannii US $26.82 Buy It Now 3h 8m
JOHNNY CASH SUN Hey Good Looking, I Can't Win EPA-111 45 Orig Rockabilly US $49.99 [0 bids]
THE MORNING AFTER-YOU CAN'T HURT STEEL-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E50 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
CHUCK TOCCO - I Know That You Can Hear Me - Christian Music CCM Pop Worship CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - I CAN'T STOP - GARY NUMAN - NU17 US $11.40 Buy It Now 3h 13m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - I CAN'T STOP - THE OSMONDS - MCA129 US $11.40 Buy It Now 3h 13m
45 R.P.M. RECORD ~ IF YOU CAN'T BITE DON'T GROWL by TOMMY COLLINS PROMO COPY US $5.14 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Devon Irie ?- Can't Tired Fe See You ORIG JA 7" EX Mountain top US $6.51 Buy It Now 3h 16m
vinyl 12" VAN HALEN WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE - GET UP extended mix US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dovells - YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN / WILDWOOD DAYS - Parkway P-867 - 1963 45 US $11.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
THE POOKAH MAKES 3 I Can Do Anything/Take It Back 45RPM Single OZ Virgin VG++ US $3.58 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Anita Dobson Anyone Can Fall In Love (PS) 7" Single US $7.34 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Dobie Gray-You Can Do It (Full Length Disco Mix) 12" UK P/S 1978 US $6.51 Buy It Now 3h 19m
C5 cardboard sleeve 2 tracks cds VAYA CON DIOS - NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU STAY US $14.99 [0 bids]
*Movies Holger Czyrkay CAN FAUST German VINYL LP EX/NMint Beauty!! US $26.10 Buy It Now 3h 21m
KEN COLYER SKIFFLE GROUP 78 I CAN'T SLEEP / THE GREY GOOSE UK DECCA FJ 10889 E+ US $19.57 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Take That - Why Can't I Wake Up with You (CDs) 4 Tracks - Mint/New - Rare US $9.77 Buy It Now 3h 23m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN The Peel Sessions ratings distribution

CAN The Peel Sessions reviews

Review by Syzygy
4 stars In the early 70s, British DJ John Peel was a great supporter of what later became known as Krautrock and Can recorded four sessions for his show (15 - 20 minutes recorded live at BBC studios) from 1973 - 5. Can's albums were all recorded at their own studio with Holger Czukay producing, so this really captures them in an unfamiliar setting. Can always incorporated a lot of improvisation in their shows, and most of the music on this CD is what Holger Czukay called 'spontaneous compositions.'

The CD starts with a lengthy piece from what is generally regarded as the classic Can line up with Damo Suzuki on vocals. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (possibly named for DJ Anne Nightingale) starts rather tentatively with some of Karoli's trademark blues raga guitar, before quickly hitting a Future Days style groove. Czukay and Liebezeit hold down the rhythm, while Karoli and Suzuki free form all over the place and Schmidt adds odd washes of colour from his keyboards. This is Can at the top of their game, demonstrating an almost telepathic interplay and conjuring up mind spinning sounds apparently out of thin air, although the fact that they had been playing together 10 hours a day for several years probably helped. When the piece fades out at 18.46 you're left with the feeling that they'd just got started and there was much more to come. The next two tracks were recorded 18 months later, and bear a strong resemblance to side 2 of Soon Over Babaluma. Return to BB City is a low key piece which recalls Quantum Physics, dominated by Schmidt's ghostly keyboards and Liebezeit's understated percussion. Tape Kebab is a fuzz guitar led freak out in the mould of Chain Reaction, but even more intense - this is one of Karoli's finest moments as a guitarist. Tony Wanna Go was recorded 9 months earlier, and is another long improvisation with some jaw dropping moments. Suzuki may have left, but in 1974 Can had lost none of their drive and fire. The last two tracks were recorded in 1975 at around the time of Landed, and show the band just past their peak. Geheim (Half Past One), as the title implies, is a reworking of Half Past One from Landed and features Michael Karoli on vocals - it's atmospheric stuff, but lacks the intensity of what went before. The last track is based around Irmin Schmidt's piano playing, and there is a splendid interplay with Karoli's guitar. It's highly structured and probably the closest thing to mainstream prog on the album, but as with Geheim there's a feeling that the band have lost some of their other worldliness and that they have started playing safe.

This is an excellent collection of largely original material from one of the seminal Krautrock bands, and shows their development over 2 years and 3 studio albums. Few of their contemporaries had such a talent for improvisation - King Crimson were probably the only other band at the time who had the same kind of interplay - but very little of their spontaneous music has been officially released. This album shows just how good they could be. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#63166) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2006

4 stars It's such a shame that CAN didn't release some official live albums during their peak in the seventies. This was really the first one but it wasn't released until 1995. The Peel Sessions that these tracks were taken from happened from four different visits by the band between February of 1973 to May of 1975. Only one track features Damo on vocals and all but one of these tracks is a improv, so all new material for the CAN fan. It just seems so adventerous to me for these guys to go to the UK and go on John Peel's show and not play songs that they and their fans were familiar with. These guys rank right up there with KING CRIMSON for having balls of steel in doing such things. I must admit that at times this doesn't even sound like CAN.

"Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne" is the almost 19 minute opener with Damo on vocals.This is from February of 1973. A beat with vocals kicks in just before a minute as bass and guitar help out as well. It settles back just before 5 minutes. Guitar and drums to the fore around 7 minutes. Check out Damo a minute later ! They continue to jam the rest of the way. "Return To BB City" and the next track are from October of 1974. Atmosphere to start as different sounds come and go. I'm surprised at how spacey and atmospheric this is as Schmidt works his magic. "Tape Kebab" has this relaxed beat with laid back guitar. The sound becomes fuller. I really like this. An electronic sounding beat after 6 minutes joins in. Karoli starts to rip it up after 7 minutes. Great track !

"Tony Wanna Go" is from January of 1974 and is the second longest track at 14 1/2 minutes. A relaxed beat with guitar leads as spacey sounds sweep through. The guitar and beat become more prominant as they continue to jam. "Geheim (Half Past One)" is a re-worked version of "Half Past One" from "Landed". This and the final track are from May of 1975. We get reserved vocals from Karoli as intricate sounds including xylophone-like sounds come and go. "Mighty Girl" has this piano led intro. This is CAN ?! Guitar joins in as well.

Without question a must for CAN fans although right now this is a tough one to track down.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#833500) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

5 stars This was the first CAN album I heard. The first time I listened to it I was ROTFLMAO! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not. But once my laughing fit was exhausted and I was laying on the floor, I was transported on one of the finest musical journeys of my life. Why some ... (read more)

Report this review (#170429) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "The Peel Sessions"