THE PEEL SESSIONS

Krautrock

Can The Peel Sessions album cover

Buy CAN Music
Live, released in 1995

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
2. Return To BB City (8:26)
3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
5. Geheim (half past one) (6:42)
6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

1973 - February 20 (#1)
1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

Search CAN The Peel Sessions lyrics

Search CAN The Peel Sessions tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1)

CD Strange Fruit SFR CD 135 (1995)

Thanks to syzygy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN The Peel Sessions Music

Mute 2014
Vinyl$21.74
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute 2008
Z.Z HILL It Can Be Fixed / You Better Take Time 45 (MHR) 7" VINYL NORTHERN SOUL US $11.29 Buy It Now 30m 28s
Billy Hambrick-Just can't take it no more. R'n'b mod killer. LISTEN. US $20.00 [5 bids]
30m 41s
GEORGE McCRAE - YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL 1974 VINYL EX/CON US $1.60 [0 bids]
30m 58s
Dorothy Collins * BABY CAN ROCK b/w WOULD YOU EVER * CORAL 9-61753*1956 * Promo US $4.00 Buy It Now 31m 40s
45 RECORD TRACE ADKINS: THE NIGHT HE CAN'T REMEMBER, MORE (JUKEBOX ONLY) US $4.48 Buy It Now 32m 48s
ROGER DALTREY Can't Wait To See The Movie LP SEALED '87 US $14.98 Buy It Now 33m 19s
STAR WARS XMAS 7 inch What Can You Get a Wookie for Christmas NM US $24.95 Buy It Now 34m 2s
7TH Avenue Feel It With You / Can't Feel The Beat 12" Avenue 7AVE 2004 Vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 34m 23s
5TH Avenue On The Floor / I Can Feel It 12" Avenue 5AVE 2004 Vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 34m 41s
Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Stoned by St Etienne US $4.95 Buy It Now 34m 44s
STEVE WINWOOD * DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THE NIGHT CAN DO * 45 RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 34m 57s
RAS MIDAS - CAN'T STOP RASTA US $24.21 [0 bids]
35m 11s
CAN RITE TIME 1989 WEST GERMAN LP 838 883-1 KRAUTROCK EXPERIMENTAL US $49.00 Buy It Now 35m 52s
CAN - OUT OF REACH GERMAN HARVEST RECORDS - Prog Rock Kraut US $49.00 Buy It Now 35m 53s
" A LOVE I CAN FEEL. " hubert & joy. REGGAE 7in 1975. US $7.99 [0 bids]
36m 29s
The Harper Brothers - You Can Hide Inside The Music DCC US $19.99 Buy It Now 36m 32s
MATRIX Can You Feel It 12" Vinyl 1994 House LOW 4.00 US $13.99 Buy It Now 37m 11s
Skeeter Davis"No Never/(I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too"/45/ US $4.95 Buy It Now 37m 26s
Tony Orlando & Dawn 45 Steppin' Out / She Can't Hold A Candle 1974 Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 39m 12s
R & B SOUL CLASSIC - JIMMY ROBINS - I CAN'T PLEASE YOU - JERHART US $16.13 [1 bids]
39m 59s
RUN-DMC - CAN I GET IT , YO PROMO CD REMIX 2 TRACKS 1994 HIP HOP EPMD PRODUCTION US $74.99 Buy It Now 40m 17s
DAVE CLARK FIVE: Demo / Promo --- "Catch Us If You Can" + "Everybody Knows" US $99.00 [0 bids]
40m 32s
OPERATION CAN QUIT HOW ABOUT HEROIN - LP C-5150 US $8.00 Buy It Now 40m 43s
PAUL MARTIN LEAD ME NOT INTO TEMPTATION/I AIN'T BLIND JUST CAN'T SEE MINARET M- US $4.99 Buy It Now 41m 13s
GABRIELLE - Dreams Can Come True Greatest Hits Vol 1 CD ALBUM - Superb Condition US $5.64 Buy It Now 41m 55s
SEASICK STEVE You Can't Teach An Old Dog New.. VINYL LP US $32.28 Buy It Now 43m 24s
Foreigner Can't Slow Down Limited Edition LP+Badge US $30.67 Buy It Now 43m 24s
THE CLINT BOON EXPERIENCE You Can't Keep A Good Man Down Limited 7 Inch Vinyl US $9.67 Buy It Now 43m 24s
How Can We Be Silent by BarlowGirl (CD, Jul-2007, Fervent Records) US $1.99 Buy It Now 43m 32s
The Police - Can't Stand Losing You/Dead-End Job 7 Inch 45 US $10.00 [0 bids]
43m 43s
TYRONE DAVIS- DAKAR- 4538- I CAN'T MAKE IT WITHOUT YOU- YOU WOULD'NT US $0.99 [0 bids]
43m 49s
David Joseph: You Can't Hide(Your Love From Me) 12" Mango, Hi Tension US $15.00 Buy It Now 44m 10s
Walls Can Fall by George Jones (CD, Oct-1992, MCA (USA)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 44m 43s
You Can See Everything by Brooke Miller (CD, Oct-2007, Hickory Records) US $9.99 [0 bids]
44m 50s
SYDNEY JOE QUALLS I Enjoy Loving You /How Can You Say Goodbye 45 Dakar US $10.00 [0 bids]
45m 26s
TOP QUALITY I Can't Hear You / What SEALED Original 12" Single Random Rap Hip US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 50s
Dean Martin Record I can't give you anything but love US $5.99 [0 bids]
45m 58s
LOU RAGLAND "I Can't Take It" b/w "What The Dr. Prescribed" CO-CO 103 VG+ to EX- US $24.99 Buy It Now 45m 58s
Lisa Lisa Skip to My Lu & Why Can't Lovers Pendulum S7-17710 NM 45 RPM Jukebox US $3.99 Buy It Now 46m 20s
STATUS QUO IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT EXYUGO N/MINT LP US $27.99 Buy It Now 47m 33s
JOHNNIE HUMBIRD rare promo 45rpm Where Is Your Conscience/I Can't Help Wondering US $6.55 [0 bids]
47m 59s
The Roots Of The Sex Pistols Mojo CD MC5 Runaways Modern Lovers Can Count Five US $6.55 [0 bids]
48m
Tindersticks,Can Our Love,Beggars Banquet,2001,,Alternative/Indie,used CD,EX US $0.99 [0 bids]
48m 25s
You Can Dance by Madonna (CD, Nov-1987, Sire) US $3.99 [0 bids]
48m 39s
John McCutcheon and Friends SIGNED How Can I Keep From Singing 1975 US $9.99 [0 bids]
49m 26s
Lawson & 4 More - Smart Bird/If You Want Me You Can Find Me [Vinyl New] US $19.99 Buy It Now 49m 27s
CD . Various Artists . Where We Go Others Can Only Follow . Single, Import US $7.96 Buy It Now 49m 36s
Orange Juice - You Can't Hide Your Love Forever 2014 [CD New] US $39.99 Buy It Now 49m 39s
Lorraine Chandler - I Can't Change/You Only Live Twice [Vinyl New] US $17.99 Buy It Now 49m 43s
Melvin Van Peebles - What The You Man I Can't Sing? [CD New] US $16.99 Buy It Now 49m 43s
Suzu - You Can Do It! 2014 [CD New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 49m 47s
Can - Anthology 25 Years [CD New] US $31.74 Buy It Now 49m 48s
Can - Saw Delight [CD New] US $29.18 Buy It Now 49m 49s
Danny Owens/Lydia Marcelle - I Can't Be A Fool For You/It's Not Like [Vinyl New] US $22.56 Buy It Now 49m 50s
Suzu - You Can Do It! [CD New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 49m 50s
Clyde Mcphatter - Anyone Can Tell/Please Give Me One More Chance [Vinyl New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 49m 52s
Can - Rite Time [CD New] US $29.18 Buy It Now 49m 52s
Charles Walker - Still Can't Get You Out Of My Heart/Give Up On Liv [Vinyl New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 49m 54s
Starwalker - Losers Can Win [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 49m 57s
Stewart/K-Groove Curtis - I Can't Hear U When U Shout [CD New] US $21.49 Buy It Now 49m 59s
Led Zeppelin 45 Atlantic STEREO P-115A Immigrant Song Hey Hey What Can I Do US $9.99 [0 bids]
50m 1s
Alun Parry - We Can Make The World [CD New] US $29.99 Buy It Now 50m 2s
Neu! '86 by Neu! CD 2010 Krautrock Brian Eno Can US $2.99 [1 bids]
50m 8s
SKEETER DAVIS "I CAN'T STAY MAD AT YOU" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 50m 22s
CD single Kylie Can't get you out of my head CD1 Boy / Rendezvous at sunset US $1.61 [0 bids]
50m 26s
MADONNA - YOU CAN DANCE (11 TRACK GREEK CASSETTE TAPE) [M/M] US $50.00 Buy It Now 51m 34s
Red Hot Chili Peppers* Can't Stop 7" Red Vinyl US $9.99 [1 bids]
52m 53s
MORE THAN I CAN SAY leo sayer 45 US $1.99 [0 bids]
53m 23s
DAVE CLARK FIVE--CAN'T YOU SEE THAT SHE'S MINE--DB7291--CON. EX- US $1.61 [0 bids]
53m 29s
CHARLIE APPLEWHITE *DJ COPY* (FROM "CAN CAN") 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 53m 45s
BR12 GUNGU CAN-FREAK DREAD-SONIC REGGAE 45 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 54m 33s
The Tams: My Baby Sure Can Shag / Making True Love 45 US $2.99 [0 bids]
57m 23s
CHRISTOPHER CROSS - Arthur's Theme (best that you can ) - 1981 UK 7" US $9.67 Buy It Now 57m 54s
CONWAY TWITTY: How Much More Can She Stand / Just Like A Stranger 45 Country US $8.00 Buy It Now 57m 54s
ANGELA BOFIL Can't Slow down b/w No Love In Sight STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 58m 58s
If You Buy This CD, I Can Get This Car by Robert Schimmel US $4.24 Buy It Now 59m 16s
Ray Allen 45 "My Empty Glass / What Can I Do?" US $3.49 Buy It Now 59m 23s
WILD COLONIALS-The Can't Be Life-ALTERNATIVE-Pop-ROCK-Rickie Lee Jones-FOLK-SScd US $10.49 Buy It Now 59m 41s
CAPTIAL TAX-I CAN'T BELIEVE IT 6 MIXES-MCA MCA8P 2521 NM/VG+ 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 59m 53s
CHRISTOPHER CROSS - Arthur's Theme (best that you can ) - 1981 UK 7" Vinyl Singl US $9.67 Buy It Now 1h
SHALAMAR ( NEW CD ) I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD : THE VERY BEST OF / GREATEST HITS US $5.25 Buy It Now 1h
Joe Walsh: You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind. LP - ABC, ABCD-932; 1976. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h
BLUES TRAVELER RARE 2 DISC PROMO FOUR 1,000,000 PEOPLE CAN'T BE WRONG CD US $25.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
PROMISED LAND "Yes You Can" 7" 45rpm Black vinyl Third Man Live US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Anyone Can Whistle - Live at Carnegie Hall -1995 Broadway Concert Cast-Sondheim US $23.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Lot/2 Sheryl Crow CD Singles--Strong Enough & Can't Cry Anymore US $2.00 [0 bids]
Tyrone Edwards 45 CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU / YOU TOOK ME FROM A WORLD~ M- to VG++ US $12.00 [0 bids]
MUDDY WATERS: Can't Get No Grindin' / Garbage Man 45 Blues & R&B US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Chicago 45 We Can Stop The Hurtin' / Along Comes A Woman 1984 Vinyl Record US $3.79 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Tracy Lawrence - Can't Break It To My Heart 45 1993 NM US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
ERIC BENET - spiritual thang / MYRON - we can get down *2 x 12" r US $1.60 [0 bids]
Laura Lee dj 45 IF YOU CAN BEAT ME ROCKIN'.. / same song ~ M- to VG++ US $5.00 [0 bids]
Ready For The World CAN HE DO IT (LIKE THIS ....) 1991 MCA Promo US 12" US $32.30 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE THERMALS - Now We Can See - RARE Promo CD Advance 2009 US $4.47 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? - Cranb... US $5.66 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $1.80 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Can't Stand the Rezillos The (Almost) Complete Rezillos Best of Greatest Hits US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Glenn Barber Gonna Make My Mama Proud Of Me/You Can't Get There From Here 45 RPM US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
CD Yttling Jazz "O Lord Why Can't I Keep My Big Mouth Shut" 2005 DIGIPAK IMPORT US $0.99 [0 bids]
Friends Can Be Lovers - Dionne Warwick Cassette US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN The Peel Sessions ratings distribution

CAN The Peel Sessions reviews

Review by Syzygy
4 stars In the early 70s, British DJ John Peel was a great supporter of what later became known as Krautrock and Can recorded four sessions for his show (15 - 20 minutes recorded live at BBC studios) from 1973 - 5. Can's albums were all recorded at their own studio with Holger Czukay producing, so this really captures them in an unfamiliar setting. Can always incorporated a lot of improvisation in their shows, and most of the music on this CD is what Holger Czukay called 'spontaneous compositions.'

The CD starts with a lengthy piece from what is generally regarded as the classic Can line up with Damo Suzuki on vocals. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (possibly named for DJ Anne Nightingale) starts rather tentatively with some of Karoli's trademark blues raga guitar, before quickly hitting a Future Days style groove. Czukay and Liebezeit hold down the rhythm, while Karoli and Suzuki free form all over the place and Schmidt adds odd washes of colour from his keyboards. This is Can at the top of their game, demonstrating an almost telepathic interplay and conjuring up mind spinning sounds apparently out of thin air, although the fact that they had been playing together 10 hours a day for several years probably helped. When the piece fades out at 18.46 you're left with the feeling that they'd just got started and there was much more to come. The next two tracks were recorded 18 months later, and bear a strong resemblance to side 2 of Soon Over Babaluma. Return to BB City is a low key piece which recalls Quantum Physics, dominated by Schmidt's ghostly keyboards and Liebezeit's understated percussion. Tape Kebab is a fuzz guitar led freak out in the mould of Chain Reaction, but even more intense - this is one of Karoli's finest moments as a guitarist. Tony Wanna Go was recorded 9 months earlier, and is another long improvisation with some jaw dropping moments. Suzuki may have left, but in 1974 Can had lost none of their drive and fire. The last two tracks were recorded in 1975 at around the time of Landed, and show the band just past their peak. Geheim (Half Past One), as the title implies, is a reworking of Half Past One from Landed and features Michael Karoli on vocals - it's atmospheric stuff, but lacks the intensity of what went before. The last track is based around Irmin Schmidt's piano playing, and there is a splendid interplay with Karoli's guitar. It's highly structured and probably the closest thing to mainstream prog on the album, but as with Geheim there's a feeling that the band have lost some of their other worldliness and that they have started playing safe.

This is an excellent collection of largely original material from one of the seminal Krautrock bands, and shows their development over 2 years and 3 studio albums. Few of their contemporaries had such a talent for improvisation - King Crimson were probably the only other band at the time who had the same kind of interplay - but very little of their spontaneous music has been officially released. This album shows just how good they could be. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#63166) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2006

4 stars It's such a shame that CAN didn't release some official live albums during their peak in the seventies. This was really the first one but it wasn't released until 1995. The Peel Sessions that these tracks were taken from happened from four different visits by the band between February of 1973 to May of 1975. Only one track features Damo on vocals and all but one of these tracks is a improv, so all new material for the CAN fan. It just seems so adventerous to me for these guys to go to the UK and go on John Peel's show and not play songs that they and their fans were familiar with. These guys rank right up there with KING CRIMSON for having balls of steel in doing such things. I must admit that at times this doesn't even sound like CAN.

"Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne" is the almost 19 minute opener with Damo on vocals.This is from February of 1973. A beat with vocals kicks in just before a minute as bass and guitar help out as well. It settles back just before 5 minutes. Guitar and drums to the fore around 7 minutes. Check out Damo a minute later ! They continue to jam the rest of the way. "Return To BB City" and the next track are from October of 1974. Atmosphere to start as different sounds come and go. I'm surprised at how spacey and atmospheric this is as Schmidt works his magic. "Tape Kebab" has this relaxed beat with laid back guitar. The sound becomes fuller. I really like this. An electronic sounding beat after 6 minutes joins in. Karoli starts to rip it up after 7 minutes. Great track !

"Tony Wanna Go" is from January of 1974 and is the second longest track at 14 1/2 minutes. A relaxed beat with guitar leads as spacey sounds sweep through. The guitar and beat become more prominant as they continue to jam. "Geheim (Half Past One)" is a re-worked version of "Half Past One" from "Landed". This and the final track are from May of 1975. We get reserved vocals from Karoli as intricate sounds including xylophone-like sounds come and go. "Mighty Girl" has this piano led intro. This is CAN ?! Guitar joins in as well.

Without question a must for CAN fans although right now this is a tough one to track down.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#833500) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

5 stars This was the first CAN album I heard. The first time I listened to it I was ROTFLMAO! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not. But once my laughing fit was exhausted and I was laying on the floor, I was transported on one of the finest musical journeys of my life. Why some ... (read more)

Report this review (#170429) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "The Peel Sessions"