THE PEEL SESSIONS

Krautrock

Can The Peel Sessions album cover

Buy CAN Music
Live, released in 1995

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
2. Return To BB City (8:26)
3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
5. Geheim (half past one) (6:42)
6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

1973 - February 20 (#1)
1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

Search CAN The Peel Sessions lyrics

Search CAN The Peel Sessions tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1)

CD Strange Fruit SFR CD 135 (1995)

Thanks to syzygy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN The Peel Sessions Music

Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
Tago MagoTago Mago
Imports 2014
Vinyl$24.98
JIMMY HOLIDAY - HOW CAN I FORGET?: EVEREST SESSIONS - NEW CD US $9.31 Buy It Now 29m 59s
GLORIA ESTEFAN Can'T Stay Away From You 7" Ps, B/W Let It Loose, 651444 7 (Vg/E US $6.74 Buy It Now 30m
'76 NORMAN REGGAE 45 PRINCE PAMPADO MONEY CAN'T BUY LIFE man of the living ? US $50.00 Buy It Now 30m 44s
Genesis - I Can't Dance 1991 7" Ex Virgin GENS7 US $6.74 Buy It Now 30m 46s
DOUBLE DISCOVERY: Can He Find Another One LP (promo stamp obc, corner bend) Roc US $12.00 Buy It Now 30m 46s
Andy Williams - Can't Help Falling In Love 7" 1979 Ex CBS 4818 US $5.05 Buy It Now 30m 46s
Jimmy Soul "Twistin' Matilda" & "I Can't Hold Out Any Longer" 1962 NM Condition US $7.00 Buy It Now 30m 50s
Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke, DUALITY (Dead Can Dance members) Wicca Pagan US $4.99 [0 bids]
30m 58s
GERRY RAFFERTY: Can I Have My Money Back? LP (reissue) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 31m 25s
Can-I-Bus [PA] by Canibus (CD, Sep-2000, Universal Distribution) US $1.99 Buy It Now 32m 15s
THAD BOSLEY-Who Can Change The World/CHICAGO IL.Cubs-Cd US $7.99 Buy It Now 32m 30s
SHIRLEY LEWIS YOU CAN'T HIDE 12 in. SINGLE 33? RPM STEREO PROMO RECORD 1989 VG++ US $8.95 Buy It Now 32m 34s
Haggard, Merle & The Strangers - A Working Man Can't Get Nowhere Today (LP,1977) US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 40s
Twitty, Conway - How Much More Can She Stand (LP,1971) US $5.00 Buy It Now 34m 5s
Can't Stop Dreaming by Daryl Hall (CD, Nov-1997, Bmg) US $16.99 [1 bids]
34m 18s
DEAD CAN DANCE INTO THE LABYRINTH 1993 UK ADVANCE PROMO CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 35m 21s
Rock Promo 45 ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY Whit Can I do With This Broken Heart US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 32s
Rock Promo 45 BILLY & THE BEATERS I Can Take Care of Myself on Alfa (Promo) 1 US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 32s
Pop Promo 45 STEVE WOODS Just Can't Win 'EM All on Cotillion (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 32s
THE MOCK TURTLES Can You Dig It? 2003 UK 4-track promo test CD Fatboy Slim Remix US $6.74 [0 bids]
36m 23s
NOS DRAMATICS ....... I CAN'T GET OVER YOU US $6.00 Buy It Now 36m 24s
CHRISTINA AGUILERA - Can't Hold Us Down (ft LIL' KIM) (UK 3 Tk CD Single) US $5.56 Buy It Now 38m 26s
TAMMY VICE-Love Can Grow-GOSPEL-Folk/GUITAR-Mobile Al. US $7.99 Buy It Now 39m 47s
*SALE*LIONEL RICHIE - CAN'T SLOW DOWN German Press BUY UP TO 4 & PAY SHIPP FOR 1 US $2.90 Buy It Now 40m 1s
Mai Pen Rai US 1993 PROMO 4AD CD Dead Can Dance This Mortal Coil Belly Unrest US $34.95 Buy It Now 40m 54s
Carolyn Arends-I CAN HEAR YOU-Gospel-CANADIAN-Folk-Cd's US $7.99 Buy It Now 41m 47s
VILLAGE PEOPLE can't stop the music Original Soundtrack LP Record VG 1980 PROMO US $22.50 Buy It Now 42m 45s
Al Green- I Can't Stop (CD, Nov-2003, Blu... US $2.00 Buy It Now 44m 49s
KIM SISTERS Love star Can't have everything Girl Group US $15.99 Buy It Now 45m 56s
VINTAGE VINYL:The ENGLISH BEAT~I Just Can't Stop It~SIRE - SRK 6091 ~ Lp* RARE US $15.99 Buy It Now 46m 18s
STRAIGHT YOUTH, Together We Can Do It, EP, red vinyl, SxE hardcore parody US $7.99 Buy It Now 46m 42s
Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie (CD, 1983, Motown (Record Label)) US $2.68 Buy It Now 47m 10s
FAT BOYS-ALL YOU CAN EAT RARE 1985 CHEAP US $3.00 Buy It Now 47m 25s
JO'S CLASSIC VINYL- 1963 You Can't Sit Down The Dovells Parkway 867 US $3.99 Buy It Now 48m 21s
JOHN TRAVOLTA Sandy 7" B/W Can'T Let You Go, Posp 6 US $6.74 Buy It Now 48m 42s
JO'S CLASSIC VINYL- 1964 Can't You See That She's Mine Dave Clark 5 Epic 9692 US $3.99 Buy It Now 49m 56s
Arbors Columbia 45 Record #33223 VG+ A Symphony For Susan / I Can't Quit Her US $6.00 Buy It Now 49m 57s
Toward the Within- Dead Can Dance (CD, 1994, 4AD (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 50m 28s
JULIO IGLESIAS Can'T Help Falling In Love 7" Ps, B/W If You Go Away, 656413 7 US $8.43 Buy It Now 50m 57s
Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill ABC ABCX 758 VG Orig Black Label LP Record US $35.00 Buy It Now 51m 3s
Jah Wobble / The Edge / Holger Czukay: Snake Charmer PIL CAN U2 mini LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 51m 12s
45 RPM-THE WHISPERS- CAN'T DO WITHOUT LOVE US $0.99 [0 bids]
51m 34s
45 RECORD SUZI QUATRO- IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE US $0.99 [0 bids]
51m 34s
(EF180) The Day Of The Rabblement, I Know You Can Do Better - 2013 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 51m 52s
KATHY AND LARRY If We Can'T Do It Right 7" Demo Issue, B/W Build My Life Around US $8.43 Buy It Now 52m 7s
Alan Gorrie: I Can Take It 12" VG+/VG++ USA A&M SP12123 US $2.99 Buy It Now 54m
ROY HAMILTON YOU CAN HAVE HER EPIC SOUL 45 US $0.25 [0 bids]
54m 10s
Joe Cocker I Can Stand A Little Rain LP Record 1974 A&M Records SP-3633 US $5.39 Buy It Now 54m 35s
J.M. Silk: I Can't Turn Around 12" VG+/VG++ Canada RCA US $12.49 Buy It Now 54m 43s
KINGDOM COME What Love Can Be 7" Ps, German Issue, B/W The Shuffle, 887 570-7 US $8.43 Buy It Now 55m 3s
(CT974) Field Music, She Can Do What She Wants - 2007 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 55m 31s
Natural Four: Can This Be Real / Try Love Again [Unplayed] US $13.97 Buy It Now 56m 26s
KWS Can'T Get Enough Of Your Love 7" Ps, Radio Mix B/W Kws Hit Mix US $8.43 Buy It Now 56m 27s
MOMENTS: SEXY MAMA / WHERE CAN I FIND HER 1973 Stang #5052 US $3.75 Buy It Now 56m 30s
Dell Vikings How Can I Find True Love/Come Go 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 33s
LIONEL RICHIE Say You Say Me 7" B/W Can'T Slow Down, Zb 40421 US $6.74 Buy It Now 59m 35s
Various Artists,CD, Music From Women of the World,Loreena McKennitt,Dead Can Dan US $0.99 [1 bids]
59m 55s
LONE JUSTICE Shelter 7" B/W Can'T Look Back, Gef 16 US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h
The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Woman / You Can't Always Get What 7" 45 rpm UK VG+ US $7.20 Buy It Now 1h
Deanna Durbin- Can't Help Singing LP US $11.41 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Reba McEntire 80s POP COUNTRY 45 I Can See Forever in Your Eyes Mono / Stereo US $11.98 Buy It Now 1h 2m
LYLE LOVETT You Can'T Resist It 7" Ps, Dutch Issue, Re-Recorded Version B/W M-O US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Lacy J. Dalton-You Can't Run Away From Your Heart (Mint Promo) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE LOST GENERATION SOMEDAY/SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU 7" OG BRUNSWICK #B55445 US $3.00 [0 bids]
THE BEAT Can't Get Used To Losing You UK vinyl 7" single 1983 ex US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BOBBY FREEMAN - Can You Stand The Pressure/Put Another Dime In The Parking Meter US $3.99 [0 bids]
45 Record AL MARTINO - I CAN'T HELP IT - VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Triumph 80s ROCK DJ 45 I Can Survive Mono / Stereo Versions US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 6m
An Angle, We Can Breathe Under Alcohol Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
(145F) Edsilia, How Can You Say That - 1999 CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 1h 6m
AL KOOPER Big Deal~Anthology 8 TRACK TAPE~SEALED ~Season Of Witch/Can't Quit Her US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 6m
DJ Defkline And Red Polo - Can I Dance 12" US $15.21 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Things Can Only Get Better, D:Ream, Good Single US $4.60 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Dave Myers - You Can't Do That CD (1998) US $5.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION Cover My Eyes 7" Ps, B/W How Can It Hurt, Maril 13 (Ex-/Ex) US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 8m
MARILLION No One Can 7" Ps, Plastic Label Issue, B/W A Collection, Maril 14 US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 8m
All I Can Do & New Harvest First Gathering Dolly Parton CD RARE 2 LP ON 1 CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Vacant Lot - Because We Can US $6.20 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Jah Wobble "Fading:Nocturnal" 12" '81 Holger Czukay Brian Eno Zazou Can Ashra US $9.99 [0 bids]
Fastball,CD,All the Pain Money Can Buy US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
(196F) Spearhead, U Can't Sing R Song - 1997 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Can't Take That Away [Maxi Single] by Mariah Carey (CD, Jun-2000, Columbia... US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Dixie Cups EARLY R&R 45 (Red Bird 006) People Say/Girls Can Tell VG+ US $4.66 Buy It Now 1h 11m
MEMBERS Radio 7" Ps, B/W Can'T Stand Up, Wip 6773 US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Spade Cooley - I've Taken All I Can Take From You / Forgive Me One More Time US $13.92 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Spoon ***Girls Can Tell **Brand New Record Vinyl LP US $19.96 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Linda Davis - How Can I Make You Love Me / Company Time 45 rpm 1994 US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
MICHAEL BOLTON How Can We Be Lovers 7" Ps, B/W The Hunger, 655918 7 US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Into the Labyrinth by Dead Can Dance (CD, Sep-1993, 4AD (USA)) Lisa Gerrard US $10.00 [0 bids]
MICHAEL BOLTON Steel Bars 7" Ps, B/W How Can We Be Lovers, 657725 7 (Vg/Ex) US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MICHAEL JACKSON I Just Can'T Stop Loving You 7" Ps, Dutch Issue With Spoken Int US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MICK JAGGER Let'S Work 7" Ps, B/W Catch As Catch Can, 651028 7 US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Future Days by Can [Import] Vinyl Record (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Rock Promo 45 ROGER VOUDOURIS We Can't Stay Like This Forever on Warner Bros. (P US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Rock Promo 45 PETER FRAMPTON I Can't Stand It No More on AM (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Rock Promo 45 MISSING PERSONS I Can't Think About Dancin' on Capitol (Promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
JOE JACKSON Japan 1984 Promo NM 7"45 + Promo Picture YOU CAN'T GET WHAT YOU WANT US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Jerry Wallace I Can See An Angel Walking Lifes A Holiday WB692 VG (45-9492) US $3.57 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Rick Nelson: Louisiana Man / You Just Can't Quit 7" 45 VG++ Canada Decca 31956 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
MILLI VANILLI Girl I'M Gonna Miss You 7" Ps, B/W Can'T You Feel My Love, Cool 1 US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 15m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN The Peel Sessions ratings distribution

CAN The Peel Sessions reviews

Review by Syzygy
4 stars In the early 70s, British DJ John Peel was a great supporter of what later became known as Krautrock and Can recorded four sessions for his show (15 - 20 minutes recorded live at BBC studios) from 1973 - 5. Can's albums were all recorded at their own studio with Holger Czukay producing, so this really captures them in an unfamiliar setting. Can always incorporated a lot of improvisation in their shows, and most of the music on this CD is what Holger Czukay called 'spontaneous compositions.'

The CD starts with a lengthy piece from what is generally regarded as the classic Can line up with Damo Suzuki on vocals. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (possibly named for DJ Anne Nightingale) starts rather tentatively with some of Karoli's trademark blues raga guitar, before quickly hitting a Future Days style groove. Czukay and Liebezeit hold down the rhythm, while Karoli and Suzuki free form all over the place and Schmidt adds odd washes of colour from his keyboards. This is Can at the top of their game, demonstrating an almost telepathic interplay and conjuring up mind spinning sounds apparently out of thin air, although the fact that they had been playing together 10 hours a day for several years probably helped. When the piece fades out at 18.46 you're left with the feeling that they'd just got started and there was much more to come. The next two tracks were recorded 18 months later, and bear a strong resemblance to side 2 of Soon Over Babaluma. Return to BB City is a low key piece which recalls Quantum Physics, dominated by Schmidt's ghostly keyboards and Liebezeit's understated percussion. Tape Kebab is a fuzz guitar led freak out in the mould of Chain Reaction, but even more intense - this is one of Karoli's finest moments as a guitarist. Tony Wanna Go was recorded 9 months earlier, and is another long improvisation with some jaw dropping moments. Suzuki may have left, but in 1974 Can had lost none of their drive and fire. The last two tracks were recorded in 1975 at around the time of Landed, and show the band just past their peak. Geheim (Half Past One), as the title implies, is a reworking of Half Past One from Landed and features Michael Karoli on vocals - it's atmospheric stuff, but lacks the intensity of what went before. The last track is based around Irmin Schmidt's piano playing, and there is a splendid interplay with Karoli's guitar. It's highly structured and probably the closest thing to mainstream prog on the album, but as with Geheim there's a feeling that the band have lost some of their other worldliness and that they have started playing safe.

This is an excellent collection of largely original material from one of the seminal Krautrock bands, and shows their development over 2 years and 3 studio albums. Few of their contemporaries had such a talent for improvisation - King Crimson were probably the only other band at the time who had the same kind of interplay - but very little of their spontaneous music has been officially released. This album shows just how good they could be. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#63166) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2006

4 stars It's such a shame that CAN didn't release some official live albums during their peak in the seventies. This was really the first one but it wasn't released until 1995. The Peel Sessions that these tracks were taken from happened from four different visits by the band between February of 1973 to May of 1975. Only one track features Damo on vocals and all but one of these tracks is a improv, so all new material for the CAN fan. It just seems so adventerous to me for these guys to go to the UK and go on John Peel's show and not play songs that they and their fans were familiar with. These guys rank right up there with KING CRIMSON for having balls of steel in doing such things. I must admit that at times this doesn't even sound like CAN.

"Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne" is the almost 19 minute opener with Damo on vocals.This is from February of 1973. A beat with vocals kicks in just before a minute as bass and guitar help out as well. It settles back just before 5 minutes. Guitar and drums to the fore around 7 minutes. Check out Damo a minute later ! They continue to jam the rest of the way. "Return To BB City" and the next track are from October of 1974. Atmosphere to start as different sounds come and go. I'm surprised at how spacey and atmospheric this is as Schmidt works his magic. "Tape Kebab" has this relaxed beat with laid back guitar. The sound becomes fuller. I really like this. An electronic sounding beat after 6 minutes joins in. Karoli starts to rip it up after 7 minutes. Great track !

"Tony Wanna Go" is from January of 1974 and is the second longest track at 14 1/2 minutes. A relaxed beat with guitar leads as spacey sounds sweep through. The guitar and beat become more prominant as they continue to jam. "Geheim (Half Past One)" is a re-worked version of "Half Past One" from "Landed". This and the final track are from May of 1975. We get reserved vocals from Karoli as intricate sounds including xylophone-like sounds come and go. "Mighty Girl" has this piano led intro. This is CAN ?! Guitar joins in as well.

Without question a must for CAN fans although right now this is a tough one to track down.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#833500) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

5 stars This was the first CAN album I heard. The first time I listened to it I was ROTFLMAO! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not. But once my laughing fit was exhausted and I was laying on the floor, I was transported on one of the finest musical journeys of my life. Why some ... (read more)

Report this review (#170429) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "The Peel Sessions"