THE PEEL SESSIONS

Krautrock

Can The Peel Sessions album cover

Buy CAN Music
Live, released in 1995

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
2. Return To BB City (8:26)
3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
5. Geheim (half past one) (6:42)
6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

1973 - February 20 (#1)
1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

Search CAN The Peel Sessions lyrics

Search CAN The Peel Sessions tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1)

CD Strange Fruit SFR CD 135 (1995)

Thanks to syzygy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN The Peel Sessions Music

Mute 2014
Vinyl$17.49
Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
Bill Dana - Jose Can You See, The Best Of - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! 092014 US $15.73 Buy It Now 29m 40s
COUNT BASIE I Can't Stop Loving You / Nice 'N' Easy 7" 45 Reprise R-20 170 US $5.99 Buy It Now 30m 39s
Floyd Cramer 45 "San Antonio Rose/I Can Just Imagine" US $3.49 Buy It Now 30m 46s
Stellar Kart WE CAN'T STAND SITTING DOWN mint CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 38s
1990 The Judds Love Can Build A Bridge Music CD Album Curb Records 10 Tracks(M4) US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 43s
CD 80"S UNDERGROUND RAP CAN YOU FEEL IT?EPMD NR MINT!!! US $17.99 Buy It Now 32m 46s
Can't Remember to Forget You [CD] [Import] US $9.03 Buy It Now 39m 51s
Can't Get It Out Of My Head by ELO Picture Sleeve Only US $8.00 [0 bids]
40m 7s
GO-GO'S We Got The Beat / Can't Stop The World 1980 7" w/US Picture Sleeve IRS US $3.95 Buy It Now 40m 23s
GEE 1016-CLEFTONES - NEKI-HOKEY / CAN'T WE BE SWEETHEARTS ? - DOO WOP US $9.99 [1 bids]
41m 18s
RAINBOW 184- FIVE CROWNS - $19.50 BUS / WHO CAN BE TRUE - DOO WOP US $7.99 [1 bids]
42m 17s
FORDS: You Can Count On Me LP (insert, tiny wobc, v. sl cw) rare Black Gospel US $60.00 Buy It Now 42m 25s
Tycoon - Such A Woman / How Long (Can We Go On) - 7" 45 RPM US $5.99 [0 bids]
43m 3s
MEJIBRAY DECADANCE Counting Goats if I can't be yours Limited A CD DVD NEW /07 US $39.99 Buy It Now 43m 4s
U2 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' CD Includes Australian Bonus Track US $5.24 [0 bids]
43m 14s
CD Album - U2 All that you can't leave behind US $6.96 Buy It Now 43m 17s
Enya Shepherd Moons CD Caribbean Blue How Can I Keep From Singing Book of Days US $5.95 Buy It Now 43m 41s
I Can Hear You CD by Carolyn Arends 11 Tracks US $4.29 Buy It Now 45m 12s
Jimmy Holiday - How Can I Forget / Janet 45 1963 EX US $7.99 Buy It Now 47m 8s
PAULINI WE CAN TRY * CD SINGLE * US $9.18 Buy It Now 48m 33s
Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still - Vinyl LP - Bill Withers John David Souther US $5.99 Buy It Now 48m 48s
MICHELLE BILOON - YOU CAN BE AN ASSHOLE NEW CD US $18.45 Buy It Now 49m 7s
CONTINENTAL - ALL A MAN CAN DO NEW CD US $14.48 Buy It Now 49m 21s
CAN U FEEL IT / VARIOUS - CAN U FEEL IT / VARIOUS (DIGIPAK) NEW DVD US $21.66 Buy It Now 49m 21s
DIGBY RICHARDS Save The World / you Can Lay My Mind OZ 45 US $8.71 Buy It Now 52m 5s
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries (CD,... US $11.69 Buy It Now 52m 19s
2PM Don't Stop Can't 1:59PM Taiwan 2nd Special Edition CD+DVD US $33.78 Buy It Now 53m 13s
Michael Stanley Band You Can't Fight Fashion SEALED US $5.00 [0 bids]
54m 47s
Sealed - O.V. Wright - Into Something - Can't Shake Loose - LP + Download US $21.99 Buy It Now 54m 58s
THE DELLS HALLWAYS OF MY MIND/I CAN'T DO ENOUGH CADET US $4.98 Buy It Now 55m 20s
MALL'D TO DEATH CAN'T MAKE A LIVING GOLD VINYL LIMITED BRAND NEW RECORD US $12.99 Buy It Now 55m 25s
* BUNNY BERIGAN "I CAN'T GET STARTED" CAMDEN 1978 EXCELLENT LP VINYL ALBUM* US $2.99 Buy It Now 55m 47s
THE ENGLISH BEAT (LP) I Just Can't Stop It. Promo. Sire SRK 6091, 1980. US $30.00 [0 bids]
56m 5s
Creative source.Keep on movin`....45rpm. US $3.00 Buy It Now 56m 34s
1955 CHUCK WILLIS 78 rpm Okeh ONE MORE BREAK I Can Tell Clean Purple Labl SINGLE US $19.00 Buy It Now 56m 38s
MALL'D TO DEATH CAN'T MAKE A LIVING BLACK VINYL LIMITED BRAND NEW RECORD US $12.99 Buy It Now 57m 53s
DONALD AUSTIN: SEX PLOT & CAN'T STAND THE STRAIN; 1973 EASTBOUND 608 VG++ WLP 45 US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h
THOMAS EAST & FABULOUS PLAYBOYS: Bad Thing / That's Why I Can't Stop Loving You US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h
NOTATIONS - "I CAN'T STOP" / "I'M STILL HERE" - U.S TWINIGHT US $32.18 [0 bids]
LENIS GUESS & FAMILY - "YOU CAN'T DESTROY A PURE MAN" - U.S NORFOLK US $9.64 [0 bids]
Mother Goose "I Can't Sing Very Well" Rare Oz 7" US $26.26 Buy It Now 1h 2m
JOE TEX - "WE CAN'T SIT DOWN" - U.S DIAL US $6.42 [0 bids]
PEGGY MARCH: Can't Stop Thinkin' About Him (soul vinyl 45) dj US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Soul 45 - Whispers - Can we love forever - Mint- US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Junior Parker - Can't Keep a Good Woman Down B/W Easy Lovin' US $5.10 [0 bids]
ARC Music BO DIDDLEY 45 7" You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover Who Do You Love US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES we can work it out PARLOPHONE 7-inch R 5389! US $11.27 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Little Richard EP - Send Me Some Lovin / Heeby-Jeebies / Boo Hoo / Girl Can't US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Original Calvary Singers "Nothing Can Change Me/Brought Me" King US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE SHRANGRI-LAS "BULL DOG / I CAN NEVER GO HOME" RED BIRD - 45 VINYL SINGLE US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Hollies The - I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top / Mad Professor Blyth 1970 US $1.29 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE SHRANGRI-LAS "BULL DOG / I CAN NEVER GO HOME" RED BIRD -45 VINYL SINGLE US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
ROGER DALTREY Can't Wait To See The Movie LP US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 15m
STATUS QUO If You Can't Stand The Heat LP US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 15m
RICK HARRINGTON w/ EMILY TRUNCELLITO YOU CAN'T JUST SIT THERE NEW SEALED 2000 CD US $9.38 Buy It Now 1h 16m
SOUTH FILTHY - YOU CAN NAME IT YO' MAMMY IF YOU WANNA.... - NEW CD US $7.68 Buy It Now 1h 16m
CAN Rite Time RARE CD with Malcoln Mooney FREE SHIPPING!! US $8.00 [0 bids]
RON HOLDEN: True Love Can Be (blues & r&b vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
"What Can You Play" *LIKE NEW* The Music Men; 1993 CD (Red Faces, Red Symons) US $8.71 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Alton McClain - Put Your Love Where I Can Find It / Come Back Baby (Forward) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
DAVID CAMON - I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THANG * SOUL FUNK 7" 45 US $13.13 Buy It Now 1h 24m
TOY CALDWELL - CAN'T YOU SEE - CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 1h 25m
I CAN ONLY IMAGINE CD Disc 2 (Missing Disc 1) US $0.50 [0 bids]
THE GHEEN Family We can be happy down here [va] sealed US $17.79 Buy It Now 1h 28m
MILEY CYRUS Can't Be Tamed (2010 U.S. 5-track PROMO CD) US $6.99 [0 bids]
LONNIE RUSS MY WIFE CAN'T COOK/SOMETHING OLD SOMETHING NEW 45 4J US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
JUDITH STEINBERGH tape Can We Go Now Troubador 1987 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball (CD, Mar-1998, Hollywood) US $2.99 [0 bids]
BROCKINGTON ENSEMBLE YOU CAN'T MAKE ME DOUBT HIM 45 HOB WLP BLACK GOSPEL US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Marshall Castle "Take a Look/You Just Can't Close the Door" Starr 45 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
DAMO SUZUKI NETWORK Seattle 2CD Set PROMO Ex Cond $2 Local Post CAN KRAUTROCK US $25.21 [0 bids]
Robinson, Smokey - Gimme What You Want/I Can't Find (45,1984) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Only U.F.O. Can Rock Me: U.F.O. Tribute Sealed CD US $4.95 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That 7" Parlophone ORIGINAL US $1.59 [1 bids]
CAN YOU JACK? CHICAGO ACID AND EXPERIMENTAL HOUSE 1985-95 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.79 Buy It Now 1h 40m
JOHNNY DUNCAN-SHE CAN PUT HER SHOES UNDER MY BED (ANYTIME)-VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
RIFF RUFFIN: If I Can't Have You (blues & r&b vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
The Beatles -We Can work It Out / Day Tripper 7" Parlophone ORIGINAL US $1.59 [1 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN Back Trax Immigrant Song / Hey Hey What Can I Do SEALED EP Single US $9.99 [0 bids]
Saves the Day - Can't Slow Down (CD,1998) LN and Complete! US $3.25 [0 bids]
BROOK BENTON "A BLACK CHILD CAN'T SMILE / IF YOU THINK GOD IS DEAD" 45 US $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 51m
99 Cent CD: 1990 Public Enemy Can't Do Nuttin' For Ya Man Records 4 Track Single US $0.99 [0 bids]
I Can Dream Can't I? - Patty Andrews (Cassette 1985, MCA) in NM US $7.49 Buy It Now 2h
JOE WALSH You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind EXCELLENT Orig 1976 ABC LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h
The Dells Medley;Can sing a rainbow/Love is blue...45rpm. US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Lynn Anderson HOW CAN I UNLOVE YOU Columbia C30925 Near Mint US $14.95 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Henry Burr VICTOR 19181 You Can't Make a Fool Out of Me/C.Hart-Pal of My Dreams US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
SUICIDE SILENCE-YOU CAN'T STOP ME LT. COLOR VINYL LP ONLY 1,000 PRESSED SEALED US $12.99 [0 bids]
DOVE BROTHERS..."YOU CAN'T STOP GOD FROM BLESSING ME".....NEW SEALED GOSPEL CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
JIMMIE KNOX & THEE GROUP-IT'S A LONG WAY HOME-GARAGE ROCK-CAN. 45 RPM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Mejibray - DECADANCE -Counting Goats.if I can't be yours (Type B) Japan CD + DVD US $40.84 Buy It Now 2h 12m
B. B. KING XLNT BLUES CD - HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET? - BRAND NEW & SEALED US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 13m
MICHAEL JACKSON 5 Cardboard 3 Record Set - I'LL Be There, Never Can Say Goodb US $29.95 [0 bids]
Randy Bachman, Brave Belt 45 Vinyl - Reprise Rock Promo,"Can You Feel It" US $2.48 [0 bids]
STEELY DAN CAN'T BUY A THRILL RARE 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $2.75 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Guided "Whisper" Meditation CD - A Visualization For Insomnia & Can't Sleep US $6.96 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Can't Kill What's Inside - Mouthpiece New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.02 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Bless This House - I Can See Clearly Now (CDSingle) NEW US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
JIM GOLD!! - "I CAN'T FACE ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT YOU" TABU-2308 PROMO LP EX!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN The Peel Sessions ratings distribution

CAN The Peel Sessions reviews

Review by Syzygy
4 stars In the early 70s, British DJ John Peel was a great supporter of what later became known as Krautrock and Can recorded four sessions for his show (15 - 20 minutes recorded live at BBC studios) from 1973 - 5. Can's albums were all recorded at their own studio with Holger Czukay producing, so this really captures them in an unfamiliar setting. Can always incorporated a lot of improvisation in their shows, and most of the music on this CD is what Holger Czukay called 'spontaneous compositions.'

The CD starts with a lengthy piece from what is generally regarded as the classic Can line up with Damo Suzuki on vocals. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (possibly named for DJ Anne Nightingale) starts rather tentatively with some of Karoli's trademark blues raga guitar, before quickly hitting a Future Days style groove. Czukay and Liebezeit hold down the rhythm, while Karoli and Suzuki free form all over the place and Schmidt adds odd washes of colour from his keyboards. This is Can at the top of their game, demonstrating an almost telepathic interplay and conjuring up mind spinning sounds apparently out of thin air, although the fact that they had been playing together 10 hours a day for several years probably helped. When the piece fades out at 18.46 you're left with the feeling that they'd just got started and there was much more to come. The next two tracks were recorded 18 months later, and bear a strong resemblance to side 2 of Soon Over Babaluma. Return to BB City is a low key piece which recalls Quantum Physics, dominated by Schmidt's ghostly keyboards and Liebezeit's understated percussion. Tape Kebab is a fuzz guitar led freak out in the mould of Chain Reaction, but even more intense - this is one of Karoli's finest moments as a guitarist. Tony Wanna Go was recorded 9 months earlier, and is another long improvisation with some jaw dropping moments. Suzuki may have left, but in 1974 Can had lost none of their drive and fire. The last two tracks were recorded in 1975 at around the time of Landed, and show the band just past their peak. Geheim (Half Past One), as the title implies, is a reworking of Half Past One from Landed and features Michael Karoli on vocals - it's atmospheric stuff, but lacks the intensity of what went before. The last track is based around Irmin Schmidt's piano playing, and there is a splendid interplay with Karoli's guitar. It's highly structured and probably the closest thing to mainstream prog on the album, but as with Geheim there's a feeling that the band have lost some of their other worldliness and that they have started playing safe.

This is an excellent collection of largely original material from one of the seminal Krautrock bands, and shows their development over 2 years and 3 studio albums. Few of their contemporaries had such a talent for improvisation - King Crimson were probably the only other band at the time who had the same kind of interplay - but very little of their spontaneous music has been officially released. This album shows just how good they could be. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#63166) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 04, 2006

4 stars It's such a shame that CAN didn't release some official live albums during their peak in the seventies. This was really the first one but it wasn't released until 1995. The Peel Sessions that these tracks were taken from happened from four different visits by the band between February of 1973 to May of 1975. Only one track features Damo on vocals and all but one of these tracks is a improv, so all new material for the CAN fan. It just seems so adventerous to me for these guys to go to the UK and go on John Peel's show and not play songs that they and their fans were familiar with. These guys rank right up there with KING CRIMSON for having balls of steel in doing such things. I must admit that at times this doesn't even sound like CAN.

"Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne" is the almost 19 minute opener with Damo on vocals.This is from February of 1973. A beat with vocals kicks in just before a minute as bass and guitar help out as well. It settles back just before 5 minutes. Guitar and drums to the fore around 7 minutes. Check out Damo a minute later ! They continue to jam the rest of the way. "Return To BB City" and the next track are from October of 1974. Atmosphere to start as different sounds come and go. I'm surprised at how spacey and atmospheric this is as Schmidt works his magic. "Tape Kebab" has this relaxed beat with laid back guitar. The sound becomes fuller. I really like this. An electronic sounding beat after 6 minutes joins in. Karoli starts to rip it up after 7 minutes. Great track !

"Tony Wanna Go" is from January of 1974 and is the second longest track at 14 1/2 minutes. A relaxed beat with guitar leads as spacey sounds sweep through. The guitar and beat become more prominant as they continue to jam. "Geheim (Half Past One)" is a re-worked version of "Half Past One" from "Landed". This and the final track are from May of 1975. We get reserved vocals from Karoli as intricate sounds including xylophone-like sounds come and go. "Mighty Girl" has this piano led intro. This is CAN ?! Guitar joins in as well.

Without question a must for CAN fans although right now this is a tough one to track down.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#833500) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

5 stars This was the first CAN album I heard. The first time I listened to it I was ROTFLMAO! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take this seriously or not. But once my laughing fit was exhausted and I was laying on the floor, I was transported on one of the finest musical journeys of my life. Why some ... (read more)

Report this review (#170429) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "The Peel Sessions"